engine goosed??

Started by mickeyfish, September 25, 2015, 12:51

Mightyquin

I think they're taking the P....

They can tell you what they like about 'sold as seen' but they can't deny your customer rights, so I'm afraid it's time to make things a bit more formal. I would write a letter to the manager of the dealership and c.c. it to the MD of the group, recapping what has happened so far, pointing out the sale of goods act and asking them to either take the car back for a full refund or to repair it satisfactorily. Give them 7 days to respond or state that you will be taking the matter to court.

In the meantime get a written estimate for the cost of a new engine. Then if you don't get a positive response issue a small claims action either for the cost of repair or if you prefer to, a full refund for the car. This isn't a tin pot back street dealer, it's a large group with main dealer franchises - they really won't want to get a bad name by this ending up with this going to court.

Did you check the paperwork? Does it mention anything about their warranty conditions?

Another thought, if you paid for any part of the price with a credit or debit card you may be able to take action via that route, section 75 I think it is -  m http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/ ... credit-act m

Jrichards20

Mate, you need to say to them that they either refund you what you paid for the car. Don't bother letting them fix it. Just get a refund and go somewhere else

As taken from CAB

Getting a refund

You may be able to ask for a full refund if:
•the fault is serious
•it is within a reasonable time of the sale and
•you have stopped using the car.

Sometimes a partial refund is more appropriate, for example if you have used the car for some time before you noticed the problem.

If you want a refund then you will have to prove the car is not of satisfactory quality. If you are asking for a repair or replacement, or a refund because the trader cannot offer a repair or replacement within the first six months, then the responsibility is on the trader to prove the car is of satisfactory quality.

A faulty engine is a serious fault and worthy of a refund. I wouldn't bother letting them touch the engine. Go elsewhere.
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

mickeyfish

thanks for all your advice. if I could fix it myself, I would. but alas, I am not in position to do it. my 3 ittle uns  (foster children) take up most of my time .and will always come first. after 15 years of fostering, I thought I would treat myself to a little sporty runabout( not getting any younger ha) but s##t happens I suppose. might buy me sen some leggo instead lol.

Mightyquin

Mate, you shouldn't have to fix it yourself! Please, don't let them screw you over, take the advice, you're only asking them to meet their legal obligations to you as the customer.

mickeyfish

here's an update,,,, the dealer principle asked my son, and the parts guy to price up the parts from toyota to repair the car. it worked out at almost £5000, without labour.( think they went ott a bit). when they told him this, his face dropped. as far as the 35 per hour staff comment is concerned, the boss said, the service boss was incorrect., and that he was talking out of his a##e. my son seems to think they are gonna give me my money back. told me to hang fire a bit. at least it looks like someone is doing something....not sure what,,,yet.      had a quote the other day from a local garage... about £700 ish inc lab. or £200 to fit another engine if I supply it.

Jrichards20

£5000 lol. They sound like a rather useless garage.

Make sure you get everything written down mate! And I would be pursuing your money back for the car and go somewhere else.
Street Triple 765 RS

Anonymous

£5000 that a complete new engine including manifolds at a guess, either way looks like you will be ok. As for £700 to return its about £400 for just pistons or £1500 for new complete bottom end so the £700 I doubt even covers parts.

Mightyquin

Get your money back - they can stick it into auction and move the problem on to some unsuspecting poor sod!

mickeyfish

rang on Friday, his sec said he will call me back.( no call back). will try again tomorrow. ( put old badges back on today,,,( very sad).

mickeyfish

took some of your advice. spoke to the guy in a nice, polite way like any completely p####d off loiner would. now I am getting a newer roadster at no extra cost.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,result........  and the guy was great about it. it was like being in the twiglet zone. could have been the tattoos that did it.

Jrichards20

Well done mate! Glad it's worked out. What was the reg of the old one? Just in case some poor sod comes on here in a couple of weeks with the same car  s:) :) s:)  when you get it we expect some photos  s:) :) s:)
Street Triple 765 RS

Mightyquin

Excellent! Glad you didn't give into them & better luck with the new car & don't let it put you off the MR2. Post photos when you get it.

Treboeth

Well done for sticking to your guns and getting a good result .

shnazzle

Congrats!
...neutiquam erro.

Joesson

When you get the replacement I suggest you get confirmation that the " warranty" period starts again!

mickeyfish

Well...got the replacement car the other day..a shiny black f/l. Well pleased.

shnazzle

Sweeeet! Nothing like a shiny black one.
Only thing is it drives you nuts when it's not polished to a shine.

.. Drove me nuts anyway
...neutiquam erro.

Bernie

Welcome to the Dark Side !

Look up Poorboys Black Hole glaze it's good stuff
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

shnazzle

Quote from: "bernie11a"Welcome to the Dark Side !

Look up Poorboys Black Hole glaze it's good stuff
A fine choice!
Vantage Black Max will blow your mind  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

CrazySX

Great news Mick!  We just need pics of both cars now .

Black and faceflift is the BEST combo  s;) ;) s;)

Tags: