2zz vs 1zz 95 octane fuel

Started by wilko59, September 26, 2015, 09:52

Anonymous

Yes the 2zz flows huge amounts of air when in lift so HAS to have a good manifold and exhaust system. It really does choke the car up I'm afraid

Lee H

Very disappointed, was expecting something similar to our EP3 and it didn't deliver. Started trying to sell it two weeks after the swap.

I'd guesstimate it's making about 170bhp max. Was making 160bhp on the 1ZZ when I originally got the car.
2000 black Roadster - hardtop, 16" Rota Grids with T1R\'s, TTE springs, TRD bodykit, JDL spoiler, 2.0 16v turbo swap with forged internals, Apexi AVCR, Apexi intake, ST205 chargecooler, JP custom exhaust, Accord Type R Recaro\'s

mattbrown82

I changed from a stock cat and exhaust to a custom system on my 2zz and it feels alot better in the higher revs. The 2zz can't compete with the k20, but if we get the dyno day done we'll hopefully be able to see how restrictive the cheaper manifolds are.

All depends on how many variations we can get on the day...
[size=85]00 silver
01 Blue 2zz - sold
03 Sable - sold[/size]

mattbrown82

Might be worth bringing a stock 1zz as well as a baseline.
[size=85]00 silver
01 Blue 2zz - sold
03 Sable - sold[/size]

jonty

back to basics on this car - have the lift bolts been checked?!

Lee H

Quote from: "jonty"back to basics on this car - have the lift bolts been checked?!

Fitted new ones when I built it.
2000 black Roadster - hardtop, 16" Rota Grids with T1R\'s, TTE springs, TRD bodykit, JDL spoiler, 2.0 16v turbo swap with forged internals, Apexi AVCR, Apexi intake, ST205 chargecooler, JP custom exhaust, Accord Type R Recaro\'s

jonty

OK mate, thought it was worth checking! Must be the exhaust as the only thing that is different to us guys who are happy with the performance.

t'll be interesting to see if the exhaust does get changed whether the rolling comparison works our differently, but best proof is in the whp off a rolling road. Early next year should be fun, I'll be part way through 6 months of paternity leave and probably needing a break from nappies and dodgy sleep patterns!

wilko59

Well the celiac manifold is on its way, don't know if the jag can is staying or to be swapped with a powerflow.  Looking at having a rolling road done on both cars, somewhere in Sheffield for £25 so I'm told.  Will keep you posted.
Red Edition -  Widermuller\'s bling, short shifter, ultimate gear linkages and billet cage mounts.  Garage59 manifold, Proflow quad exhaust and sports cat.  Kenwood/Garmin DNX.
Previous - PFL Blue H/Top & MRs Black 2zz

Anonymous

Who's going to weld the celica manifold up?

mattbrown82

£25! That's cheap. Cheapest I could find locally was £65.
[size=85]00 silver
01 Blue 2zz - sold
03 Sable - sold[/size]

wilko59

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"Who's going to weld the celica manifold up?

mr2will is a dab hand with a welder.
Red Edition -  Widermuller\'s bling, short shifter, ultimate gear linkages and billet cage mounts.  Garage59 manifold, Proflow quad exhaust and sports cat.  Kenwood/Garmin DNX.

jonty

Please get a before and after dyno of the 2zz, it would be really interesting to see!!

Anonymous

Quote from: "wilko59"
Quote from: "Meeerrrk"Who's going to weld the celica manifold up?

mr2will is a dab hand with a welder.

Nice! Can't wait to see the results

Anonymous

Quote from: "jonty"Please get a before and after dyno of the 2zz, it would be really interesting to see!!

Absolutely, this would be the slam dunk we are all waiting to see - does the eBay manifold lose that much power from stock

Paul1087

Yep, that would be really helpful .

I have a celica manifold here ready for chopping and welding. Would be great to see some figures before going ahead with it.

Anonymous

Does anyone know how the Corolla and lotus exhaust manifolds differ from the celica and if anyone has considered those as an alternative?

wilko59

2zz booked in for half one today, will be a couple of weeks before the new manifold is fitted due to working away. But I'll keep you all updated.

Paul1087

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"Does anyone know how the Corolla and lotus exhaust manifolds differ from the celica and if anyone has considered those as an alternative?
Pretty sure they are all the same, although not 100%.

this link shows the variations of 2zz manifold - no differences between models noted.
 m http://www.ddperformanceresearch.com/ad ... _guide.pdf m

Anonymous

Quote from: "Paul1087"
Quote from: "Meeerrrk"Does anyone know how the Corolla and lotus exhaust manifolds differ from the celica and if anyone has considered those as an alternative?
Pretty sure they are all the same, although not 100%.

this link shows the variations of 2zz manifold - no differences between models noted.
 m http://www.ddperformanceresearch.com/ad ... _guide.pdf m

That's interesting, thanks.

I'm tempted to try it, to compare to my exhaust

jonty

Quote from: "wilko59"Dump booked in for half one today, will be a couple of weeks before the new manifold is fitted due to working away. But I'll keep you all updated.

Cool, looking forwards to seeing the results!

wilko59

Ok, three runs this dinner time at Autotronix in Laughton S25 (says he can do a group of ten at £25 each by the way)- 165, 165, 166 bhp.  Was told it was running a little bit rich which if corrected would see a slight increase to perhaps 170, but not going to look into this until the new exhaust setup is done.  I was told most jap cars have a tendency to run slightly richer as a failsafe.  Peak power was at 7281rpm.  Incidentally peak torque was was around 6800rpm.

Will probably be a week or two due to work then we'll have it tested again along with my 1zz.

Jrichards20

Ok, so corrected fuel ratio and your missing 20bhp. restriction my well do 10-15bhp. which is about 180bhp-190bhp. Which if im not mistaken is the normal power for a 2zz?
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

Anonymous

Correct Josh !

Anonymous

Quote from: "wilko59"Ok, three runs this dinner time at Autotronix in Laughton S25 (says he can do a group of ten at £25 each by the way)- 165, 165, 166 bhp.  Was told it was running a little bit rich which if corrected would see a slight increase to perhaps 170, but not going to look into this until the new exhaust setup is done.  I was told most jap cars have a tendency to run slightly richer as a failsafe.  Peak power was at 7281rpm.  Incidentally peak torque was was around 6800rpm.

Will probably be a week or two due to work then we'll have it tested again along with my 1zz.

That's actually very interesting thanks for posting. So Lee guessed it was making around 160bhp he was pretty much spot on!!

It's interesting your car makes its peak power at 7200, I don't know any facts but I would expect it to be higher, more toward 8000rpm which suggests it could be an airflow restriction because we are all told these engines flow insane amounts of air at high revs.

Can't wait to see the difference with a celica manifold!

Top work

Paul1087

Can you please post your dyno print out?

Tags: