Eliseparts Sump: WARNING

Started by Alex Knight, October 6, 2015, 18:55

Alex Knight

Hi all,

This is a warning for everybody that uses an Eliseparts sump and also the rear undertray.

I was doing some maintenance on the car today, when I removed the undertray, I had noticed that the undertray had been wearing away the sump, where it touches. I can only presume that this sump sits lower than OEM due to the extra capacity.

I have now cut away part of the undertray to prevent this from continuing.

If you have this sump and still use the undertray, please check your sump:

Ardent

ouch

tommyzoom99

blimey that has worn quite significantly,

im a bit unsure what this under tray is, i think i must of removed mine along with the nappy years ago and cant remember what its like as i defo don't have it on my car, is it made of metal i assume to wear the aluminium that much

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

Anonymous

I think Alex is referring to the Nappy / plastic under trays.

I'm surprised it has worn the aluminium like that but I suppose it is not designed to work on the MR2, it's design was originally for the lotus cars which I assume don't run a plastic tray.

Good spot though Alex and thanks for sharing.

Jrichards20

I cannot believe that the plastic undertrays have caused that. There is no way that thin plastic has caused that much damage to aluminium. Looks like it has been grounded or something similar to that?

Are you 100% that it was the plastic undertrays?
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

Alex Knight

I'm 1,000% sure.

There were exact corresponding rub marks on the undertray.

Anonymous

It's quite hard and heavy plastic to be fair. Aluminium is quite soft.

locobuilder brian

On my wife's Puma an aluminium heat shield wore through one of the steel power steering pipes, which seems absolutely contrary to logic!

MartinC

Water is considered to be "softer" than rock, yet given enough quantity and time, will wear away the hardest rock.
Martin

Readers ride :- Martin's 2001 Roadster

Tags: