2zz - Gearbox Puller

Started by MilesH, October 9, 2015, 19:06

MilesH

Hi,

Is Toyota the only place you can buy the 6-speed gearbox puller? I need to re-seal a gearbox case due to a leak in the seal and whilst I thought we could get away with a 3 legged puller I'm not convinced that it won't end up damaging parts.

Thanks

Escy

If you want to pull 6th gear off the shaft, I use a hydraulic 3 leg puller. I doubt you'll get the gears off with a normal 3 leg puller.

MilesH

Quote from: "Escy"If you want to pull 6th gear off the shaft, I use a hydraulic 3 leg puller. I doubt you'll get the gears off with a normal 3 leg puller.

I understand there is a Toyota specific tool for about £50 that works well - we considered using a normal 3 legged one but figured it wouldn't be effective. I just wondered if it is only Toyota that sells it.

I bet the hydraulic ones are expensive?

Escy

I assume this is the tool you mean. It doesn't look great to me especially when you have to hold it with a spanner to stop it turning and it's only useable for one job. You'll be surprised how much force they take to pop off, before I bought my hydraulic puller I tried a normal 3 leg puller with an impact gun on it, it didn't budge.

I've used my hydraulic puller for all sorts since having it, removing and pressing in suspension bushes, wheel bearings, etc. It's a handy tool, was about £100

Here is mine in action.

MilesH

Thanks for posting the pics. I have a decision to make now.......

maybeturbo

Cheeky little Levin in the background there ecsy!

Escy

Yeah, it was my pride and joy. Sold it a couple of months ago.

cabbydave

I bought one from the states. Easy to make as it's a c shape with 2 threaded holes in it for a puller

maybeturbo

I've still got mine, 84 UK car. Caged, TRD diff, skimmed head, Janspeed, hks cams, vernier pulleys, apexi afc. Arches. Need to sell up aswell to be honest.gotta be honest with myself and admit that I'm never going to get round to putting it on the road again. I've had it for ten years, been off the road for a couple years now. Loved it to bits, always will.

Tags: