Windscreen removal

Started by fastel888, October 11, 2015, 19:01

fastel888

s:?: :?: s:?:  Does anyone know how to remove the MR2 Mk 3 windscreen? I have searched for this everywhere I can think of, but got zilch!
On my silver wreck there is a perfect windscreen, whereas the one on my blue MR2 has several chips and cracks. I know that my
insurance covers this, but the trend seems to be repair rather than replace. Also I want to get as many parts as possible off of
the write-off, to justify buying it back from the insurers. I that going via the insurance will be the most likely outcome, but still
want to know how if only to improve my own knowledge.
:flame: Uninsured drivers should face a firing squad!!! http://mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=56346

MartinC

It's a bonded screen, so probably very difficult to remove yourself.  I watched the guy replace mine and he got what can only be described as a cheese cutting wire in behind the glass and dragged all around to cut the bond.
Martin

Readers ride :- Martin's 2001 Roadster

fastel888

I guessed it would be tricky and if I'm honest I have an idea that I would probably
damage it in the attempt. One for the experts, thanks for confirming this.
:flame: Uninsured drivers should face a firing squad!!! http://mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=56346

shnazzle

I saw the same happen to mine, the wire that is. The problem is that the seal was bonded to the old screen it seemed
...neutiquam erro.

cabbydave

Your best off finding a glass company to come out and change it for you. Or if you see someone changing a windscreen see if he wants a cash job

CrazySX

I think even if u take it out, be hard to refit it and be a pig to get all the sealant off the edges

StuC

Quote from: "cabbydave"Your best off finding a glass company to come out and change it for you. Or if you see someone changing a windscreen see if he wants a cash job
+1
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

cabbydave

Ive got to go on a coursenext week on how to remove and refit bonded screen. Really looking forward to it not.

CrazySX

Quote from: "StuC"
Quote from: "cabbydave"Your best off finding a glass company to come out and change it for you. Or if you see someone changing a windscreen see if he wants a cash job
+1

Prob end up costing about as much as calling the insurance, better of taking a hammer to the screen you don't like on the blue one!.

Not that i would ever suggest smashing your windscreen so that you can get a new shiney one from the insurance  s:o :o s:o

cabbydave

Just spent a whole day learning how to remove windscreens today. What a mare of a day but it does seem a lot easier when you know how. Little bit more practice and i'll have a go at the hardtop rear screen before that gets painted

fastel888

Quote from: "CrazySX"
Quote from: "StuC"
+1

probably end up costing about as much as calling the insurance, better of taking a hammer to the screen you don't like on the blue one!.

Not that i would ever suggest smashing your windscreen so that you can get a new shiney one from the insurance  s:o :o s:o

It just so happens that I have a 4lb club hammer, but that may be a bit drastic especially
if there's any delay in having a new one fitted.
Automatic centre punches do a quieter
job, although I've never tried it myself you understand.

The one on the wreck has been written on as well.

So it's a call to my insurers after all that.

CrazySX

how did that happen?  

Yeah trick is to hit it at the edge with a punch or spark plug, a hammer bounce of the middle of a quarter light many years ago when i had to break into my own car.  Quarter lights... remember those??? lol!

fastel888

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Quarter lights, oh yes funny name for a window. I also remember parking lights (compulsory) and dimly lit amber indicators that
flicked out, but often didn't retract. My very first car (1948 Morris 10) had them, also a cranking handle to start the engine. Ah the
joys of motoring in the 1960s!
The writing on the wreck was done by the insurance assessors, for reasons only known to themselves.

CrazySX

Quote from: "fastel888":lol: Quarter lights, oh yes funny name for a window. I also remember parking lights (compulsory) and dimly lit amber indicators that
flicked out, but often didn't retract. My very first car (1948 Morris 10) had them, also a cranking handle to start the engine. Ah the
joys of motoring in the 1960s!
The writing on the wreck was done by the insurance assessors, for reasons only known to themselves.
If it's just writing then get a rag and some cellulose thinners and wipe it off  s;) ;) s;)  I thought it had cracked. Couldn't see the pic very clearly.

cabbydave

If that's all it is use a brill pad. Don't laugh trust me wire wool soesnt scratch glass whereas scotch bite does

fastel888

Well it's true then! "You learn something new every day." The bonnet was covered in the yellow scrawl and it came off
quite easily with just a sponge and cold water. I have now decided that removing the windscreen is not a job that I
want to tackle, so I will phone my insurers and leave it to an expert.

jeffsimply

I've replaced a few windscreens in my time (on BMW 3 series race cars since they seem to get shattered by debris at every race meeting). It would be much easier on a drop top since you don't have to enter compromising positions all the way round.

It's not the most fun job in the world, there were 2 of us since we didn't have the glass suction grabber and we weren't seasoned vets at the task.

Basically as mentioned already, you want some strong wire and somehow get that under the glass so you have one end inside the car and one end outside. Then gently saw your way through the bond.

Things you need to be careful of:

Going too fast (will make the wire hot and snap)
Putting too much pressure against the glass (will crack the glass)

After you've completed the circuit around the windscreen then there will probably be a lot of adhesive stuck to both the glass and the car. I used a stanley blade to get the bulk of it off the car, the glass will likely be thrown anyway so don't worry about that. I can't remember the name of the stuff, but it's basically just a nasty adhesive to glue the new screen back in. A thin trail around the glass, the same on the car. Pop it in and hold it in position (so it doesn't slide down) with duck tape at the top.

Tags: