Birds chirping in engine bay!!!

Started by Anonymous, November 24, 2004, 08:52

markiii

do u have a vidcam? you coiuld record us a sound sample?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Unfortunately no and don't really know anyone close to me that has one I could borrow either. My sister has one, but she is 200 miles away!!!

I will see what I can do.........

Joe Schmoe

Throwout bearing.  Mine did this for quite some time...I had completely forgotten about it until now.  I had a TRD clutch/pressure plate/flywheel installed by a dealer and I had them change out the TO bearing as it's the standard thing to do while it's all apart.  It hasn't sqeeked since, but it makes a disconcerting sound at about 2000 RPM.  It's probably just me hearing things, but it doesn't sound like a well oiled machine if you know what I mean.

Anonymous

I had 3 bearings replaced by Mr-T when mine was making the noise altho its making a different one now lmao - but i can live with it  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

Quote from: "Joe Schmoe"Throwout bearing.  Mine did this for quite some time...I had completely forgotten about it until now.  I had a TRD clutch/pressure plate/flywheel installed by a dealer and I had them change out the TO bearing as it's the standard thing to do while it's all apart.  It hasn't sqeeked since, but it makes a disconcerting sound at about 2000 RPM.  It's probably just me hearing things, but it doesn't sound like a well oiled machine if you know what I mean.

What is the Throwout bearing? I have never heard of this. Is this the same as the thrust bearing? And is it a pain to change and how long and how much?

God, I am worried this is going to cost me a bloody fortune........

Anonymous

Quote from: "bigun007"I had 3 bearings replaced by Mr-T when mine was making the noise altho its making a different one now lmao - but i can live with it  s;) ;) s;)

Which bearing Bigun? You talking about this "Throwout bearing" or the thrust bearing or whatever? How come they seem to go so easily, yet so infrequently? Weird.......

Tem

Quote from: "John Woodward"What is the Throwout bearing? I have never heard of this. Is this the same as the thrust bearing? And is it a pain to change and how long and how much?

Same thing.

It's easy to change once you have everything apart. That's why everyone usually changes it while they are replacing clutch parts. The part itself is like £20, but the work might be more like £200  s:? :? s:?

If you have any plans to change the clutch/flywheel, have it done at a same time.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "John Woodward"What is the Throwout bearing? I have never heard of this. Is this the same as the thrust bearing? And is it a pain to change and how long and how much?

Same thing.

It's easy to change once you have everything apart. That's why everyone usually changes it while they are replacing clutch parts. The part itself is like £20, but the work might be more like £200  s:? :? s:?

If you have any plans to change the clutch/flywheel, have it done at a same time.

None at the moment. The clutch is still in fine fettle (how long are they supposed to last, by the way? I don't hoon it at starts, so its relatively gentle use of the clutch for me.......) so no need to change it, but its going to be a pain if I have to get that changed and its the only thing that needs doing..............  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

Bugger........

JoniiBoii

just upon driving to work today i heard like a cricket noise coming from my engine bay, its not overly loud , but it doesnt make noises upon accelaration (cant spell) just when idie'in or in the low rev range 2000 rpm ish.... so i did a search and re kindle'd the fire to this topic / thread... when reading this , and many other's, there never really was a direct solution.. other then it being the ''thrust bearing'' and to sort would cost 20£ for the part... and 200£ labour.... has anyone got the real symptom's  and was this issue the true culprit?

Please help , as i dont no if this is a BIG problem or just a common fault , where i can just turn my music up and forget it's there...?

iPap

I had it last week, mine was the cat heat shield. But it had sounded like it was behind the belts and inlet manifold.
2001, Black MR2, Elise Leather Seats, Aircon and Factory TTE Kit, BC Coilovers, SP Brace, Corkys Front Brace, Devs\' Front Bushes, Rebuilt Toyota 1ZZ Engine, Head and Six Speed Box, Cobra Twin Exhaust, Decat Manifold, Short Shift and Solid Bushes, etc...

JoniiBoii

see i no all my bolts are nice and tight, so can someone please give me a clue as to what could be wrong? do you think it could be the thrust bearing?

Suzz381

Hello,

My car has started doing exactly the same this wk, did any of u guys find a diagnosis for the chirping/ cricket noise??
2001 Silver MR2
2006 Black TF127

AndrewMason

As per one of the previous questions, but never answered, does the sound come from curb side of the engine and go away when the clutch is depressed? I think I have this the right way around - if noise goes with clutch in likely to be input drive shaft bearing, if noise starts when clutch depressed then thrust bearing. Both expensive.
Not sure this is the definitive answer though.
2002 Red. "Go-Fasta" stripes and matching wheels

Suzz381

The noise started when the engine was cold, after driving about 6 miles it went away.
Had it to the garage today who said the bearings or something just needed lubricating. Has been fine since I picked it up, the cold start tomorrow morning will be the real test!
The clutch had no impact on the noise
2001 Silver MR2
2006 Black TF127

Tags: