JoeCools 2ZZ Project: Fast Fun!

Started by JoeCool, October 22, 2015, 10:06

JoeCool

[strike:2ubwrymn][/strike:2ubwrymn]I've had a couple of MK1's and always missed my 'good' one:

I bought my Roadster almost on a whim because it was advertised a few miles away. Well, that's not quite how it happened. What actually happened was someone bought a set of mint OZ Ultraleggeras on ebay for £250 and then said that really, I should buy a light weight sports car to put on them. So I'd been looking and this black car had popped up again having been offered for sale a while before. The seller was a farmer and drove a hard bargain, and despite the blown engine I paid £500 for the car. It started and ran, but only just.

This is what I got:

It honestly looks a little tidier in that picture than it really is.

Good points:
  • Looked to have run recently and been looked after.
  • Relatively rust free
  • Hpi Clear and uncrashed
  • Found the entire service history in the seat pocket despite Seller saying it had none.
  • TTE Style Bar.
Bad Points:
  • 100k miles
  • Leaky roof and slighty mildew covered seats
  • Yellowed headlights
  • Blown Engine
  • Brakes rusted
Anyway, I took it over to my aunts farm where I'd intended to do the swap. Drove it the sum total of 100 yards! On investigation, I wasn't impressed with the TTE Style bar, they're connected to the car by a U shaped bracket and it'll offer no protection at all if rolled. At that point I considered it dead weight, so I sold it for £150. The car now owes me £350.

I also found a hard top roof for it, partly because I have no real interest in convertibles (Blasphemy!), and partly to make it watertight. I found a guy selling his car with roof on ebay and offered him £200 for his roof and fitting kit and he took it. It's a little scratched, but hey, I'll take it.

However, transporting a car roof is harder than you'd think.

In the meantime, I needed my engine and gearbox. I ended up finding one, in a wrapper:

2003 Toyota Corolla T-Sport

Mine had 99k miles, a bit of history, but seemed to run sweetly enough. (Note as of Oct 2017: The only part of this car remaining in the MR2 is now the gearbox.

I bought this car for £850, and decided to test the engine by drag racing it.

It ran a 16.1.... I serviced it with 2 oil changes in the same afternoon, cleaned out the lift valve filters and gave it new plugs. It also has a Typhoon intake I can sell, plus it came with a load of nice Pioneer and Focal audio equipment! I'm keeping the sat nav head unit because it's double din and will go well in the MR2, but I sold the sub and Amp for £150 already. Car therefore owes me £700 - not bad for an engine and gearbox.

So, that was the bulk of the parts bought, except all the swap stuff of course. This lot all came over from the states

Now I'd originally intended on doing the swap at the farm, with the help of the mate who bought the wheels. So I set about replacing rear brake callipers, discs all round, etc. However, my aunt built stables on the flat concrete I'd hoped to do the swap on, meaning the only space I had was a dirty rubble floor. Not ideal for wheeling engines around on, or doing mechanical work. Also, my wife was pretty ill at the time and I needed my weekends for helping her out. In short, I chickened out and phoned around mechanics who are good with this swap.

You can see how filthy the farm is by the state of my car after a couple of months there. Also, some pallets fell onto the right hand side of the car, denting front and rear wing and doors. Annoying, as that was the 'clean' side of the car.

So, off we went to the workshop

So, after that obviously it all goes a bit dark... until my mechanic sent me these pictures:

Engine in the bay

He also sent me this picture of some slightly worrying cam lobe wear:

So having done a bit of research, this is known as 'cam wipe' in the Elise community, and it signals the death of the camshaft. So I need to sourced a replacement intake camshaft, from MAG engines in Dubai. (more on them later...).

So, that's where we are right now. The car is currently in need of an ECU. The one I'd found and had cunningly coded to my MR2 key was slightly wrong, and wasn't running right. I now have the Correct ECU but the breakers 'lost' the transponder so it's been a week trying to sort that. I'm now having that ECU re-coded also. Stupid electronics, getting in the way of a good project! I now own An MR2 ECU, a Corolla ECU, and 2 Celica ECUs.

Project summary:
  • Phase 1: Get it mechanically sorted and Reliable. Sort out a free flowing exhaust system.
  • Phase 2: Get it handling right. I'm planning a suspension refurbishment in 2016.
  • Phase 3: Some subtle cosmetic tweaks.
Build Specification:
  • 2002 MR2 Roadster, UK.
  • 2zz-ge 1.8 Petrol Engine making ~190 bhp at 7500 Rpm. 8,200 Rpm redline.
  • 6 Speed Corolla transmission with MR2 LSD
  • TRD Short Shifter
  • Fidanza Lightened Flywheel, Exedy Clutch
  • Baffeled sump
Budget

Currently Standing at £1,100 in car purchases, £1000 in parts Purchases, and £1000 in fees for the swap. Plus some money I've forgotten about or man mathed away (car transport fees, odds and sods, etc) Edit circa Sept 2017- Hahaha. Bwhahaha. Hahaha. I can't believe I ever had this pegged as a cheap project. We're WELL into 'tidy Boxster territory now!
2ZZ '02 Roadster

justinread72

Great build look forward to seeing this one as doing a similar build

JoeCool

Thanks!

I've ordered a new Steering Unversal Joint, (Was a bit stiff/rusty apparently) and my ECU has been recoded by Patrick and is winging it's way back to the car.

I've also ordered the Intake cam and rockers because I really don't like the idea of that cam lunching the rest of the engine, so now i just need to either summon the courage to do the job myself, or else find a decent mechanic who's happy with the 2ZZ to get it done.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

Alex Knight

Quote from: "joecool"find a decent mechanic who's happy with the 2ZZ to get it done.

<ahem>  m http://www.bonsai-wsm.com m

JoeCool

I'm not going to disturb his weekend. I'll speak to him Monday!
2ZZ '02 Roadster

manos3003

Nice one! A fellow 2zz in the making, although yours is nearly there  s:D :D s:D

Keep us updated   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:
I can't recall a day when I drove my MR2 and it didn't put a smile on my face
<strike>2000 Spectra Blue Mica - 2ZZ-GE gone, but not forgotten</strike>
2002 Spectra Blue Mica K20A2 coming up

JoeCool

Today was the big day!

I was up early to head over to Bonsai in Weston Super Mare. Little did I know I'd be picked up by a certain Mr Knight in a very slick Black car. Instantly got to chatting all things 2ZZ and I have to  say his car is lovely, and so is his majestic beard.

I ended up spending a couple of hours at Bonsai - Chatting to Andy who very thoroughly showed me around the car and the work he'd done. There were 3 black 2ZZ 2002 MR2's in the garage, so plenty to compare and contrast with. We talked about what was good (and bad!) about the car. I took it out for a spin, fuelled it up for the drive home, had a quick spin in Alex's Car too. All in all, it was actually a really fun experience, and left me confident of the work put into my car. I paid up and handed over a Bottle of Vodka as a thank-you for putting up with me as a customer! In turn, he handed me my keys and a bag full of Toyota ECU's.....

I only have one photo of the car as it stands today because by the time I'd done my 140 miles home, plus my little B-road blast, it was too dark and I'd forgotten my SD card for my DSLR (muppet!).

This photo hides it's worst bits!

So, we're on to the lovely getting to know you phase of a new car!

The good:
  • The engine is a peach, revs well, sounds good, pulls well.
  • Very happy with the flywheel, perfectly judged IMO.
  • It drives much, much better than I expected it to given it is a 100k mile car which had fallen from grace.
  • Brakes have great pedal feel
  • Literally everything works like stock. It's a turn key car with no surprises... until the throttle is pinned.
  • I made it home!
The Not Sures:
  • It is bloody loud - just vibrationy/boomy on the motorway. But then I wasn't going slow and I think it's a function of the Poly Engine Bushes
  • The gear shift isn't quite there. Given I've got a TRD six speed shifter cage, Solid bushes, ultimate cable bushes, plus a 'proper' shifter conversion with reverse block out, it's very notchy although it did improve markedly when the gearbox was fully warmed. Reverse selection isn't great either.... More research/tweaking needed here!
  • Slight slack at the top of the throttle pedal travel, makes heel n toe a bit hit and miss.
  • The engine is definitely not as rabid at the top end as it was in the Corolla. It feels strangled as it goes into lift. Still powerful, but smoother and not as free to rev. That's the Exhaust.
The Bad:
  • Front wheel rubs on arch liner under braking. I think it's just because my arch liner is hanging out.
  • The steering weight/feel is really odd/uneven. Andy/Alex reckon it's the worn steering UJ that needs replacing, And I really hope it is that because to me it feels like the Power Steering is a bit sqew-whiff. I need to get to the bottom of this ASAP because Alexs car felt completely different, and much lighter in the hands as a result.
  • The bodywork and roof are screwed, although Andy did get it cleaned for me and it looks better than it ever has (since the pallets fell on it anyway...)
  • It sounds like a cement mixer on start up because of the poly engine bushes!!
So, I've got quite a few miles to cover in the coming weeks, to get to know the car, which will be great. Few little things to sort and then I can get on with refining it. Having had a look/drive at Alexes car, I'm smitten and know that mine can come close with a few tweaks/adjustment, so I'm really happy with my choices so far. Except, perhaps, the engine bushes!

Here is the worn intake cam/follower Andy replaced for me. It was just one lobe showing wear, as you can see it's pretty severe and I'm very glad I had it swapped now. This is very common on 2ZZ's in Elises apparently.

More pics to follow when I have more time and light and SD cards!!
2ZZ '02 Roadster

JoeCool

Did another 220 Miles in the Car today. Across to Worcestershire for a Martial Arts Grading, then back via a mate of mine who used to Test Drive Aston Martins. He also had a good deal of input into the spec of the car.

This is what he thought of it:

[youtube:26s1k303]_YlP80Ti7uo[/youtube:26s1k303]

I grabbed some more Pics too:

The EML light popped on in the morning - I'm pretty certain it's the Cat O2 Sensor as that was what was triggering it when it was with Andy at Bonsai. I'll Read the code when I find my OBDII Dongle and reset it!

I also stopped off and picked up a couple of bits of much needed trim, which was great, but I'm increasingly dissatisfied with the state of the bodywork. I've either got to learn to really not care and use and abuse this thing like a race car, or else I need to formulate some plan to tidy it up. A cheap plan, because my car budget is gone until 2016!
2ZZ '02 Roadster

cabbydave

Why have you got 2 o2 sensors on the manifold it should only have one before the cat and one after the cat otherwise the post cat readings are out.

JoeCool

Search me Guv!

If you've got any tips, more than happy to hear them. Would you blank off the 2 Manifold O2 Sensors, have one pre cat and one post cat then? I'd have to ask Andy how they're wired, but I guess the Celica ECU expects 3 O2 Sensors?

in all likelihood, this exhaust is a stop gap anyway. I'd be intrigued to know any other ways to wire up the O2 sensors for good running so that can be designed into the proper Exhaust.

The car is running fine anyway - Emissions certificates are all good, from a proper MOT test centre.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

J03

Celica ecu only looks for 2, as above pre & post cat, jdm ecu only looks for the precat.
The Silver Shed - 2zz Rotrex ........  viewtopic.php?f=88&t=53969

JoeCool

Cool, I'll ask Andy what's what then and go over the wiring. Could be the cause of the EML. Won't have time to look at the car until Thursday now though!
2ZZ '02 Roadster

Alex Knight

Joe,

Lovely to meet you and have a good old chinwag. Thanks for the kind words about the car, and the beard! lol

Two primary O2s are plumbed, but only one is live. The other is not used on the 2ZZ ECU.

Search me why MWR designed a 2ZZ swap manifold with provision for two sensors, fully well knowing that only one primary is required?   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

headcase

block both the sensors .  then put a lambda boss just before cat refit lambda in there .

JoeCool

OK, cool, something to work on/get sorted then.

By the way... I got my investigators hat on to work out why we had all that bother with the ECU's.....

Can anyone guess?

My Corolla 2ZZ ECU is at the bottom, my 1ZZ MR2 ECU is top right. The one I bought is top Left.

Yeah.... The '2ZZ' ECU I ebayed thinking I was getting a bargain turned out to be a 1ZZ ECU in a 2ZZ Casing. The Board numbers don't match the casing like they do (mostly) on the two genuine ones, and the pin outs are identical to my 1ZZ ECU with the 'Lift' pins just going to earth or whatever on the board. Thanks, Ebay seller. I can only apologise to Patrick for the wasted time!

I suppose the lesson there is to really double-triple check the integrity of what you're buying second hand.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

JoeCool

I've just been driving it!!!

Gearshift has improved massively through use, it's fine.

Oddly, steerring is also fine now, but I still need to get that UJ replaced.

The battery died last month so I replaced it with a new Bosch one.

I've swapped the seats for some nice cloth facelift ones which I much prefer for warmth and grippiness.

Plenty still to do t get it up to scratch, but for now it's been doing me proud on fun drives out and the odd run to work and back.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

JoeCool

Took advantage of some sun to clean it properly for the first time ever, fitted my side vents, removed the collapsed inner Arch Liner, then realised how absolutely FUBAR the Steering UJ is, so bought another one from TCB. I won't be driving the car until it's fitted!

[youtube:52yy9am7]oMRLynFf_Nw[/youtube:52yy9am7]
2ZZ '02 Roadster

JoeCool

Replaced the Lower UJ today with the TCB Parts replacement. Actually way easier than I expected it to be. Some tips for anyone attempting it:

Only a 12mm Socket/spanner and a hammer is required, plus a 10mm spanner or screwdriver to release the rubber gaitor in the bulkhead.

A top tip is to use the steering column lock to lock the steering wheel so that the upper UJ has the flat on the steering shaft and open end of the clasp pointing DOWN. This leaves everything accessible and stops it going out of alignment when you pull the shaft out.

When hammering after undoing both pinch bolts and levering the clasps open a bit, hit the upper yoke on the steering shaft UJ upwards (with th steering locked as above, it presents itself perfectly), pushing the long splined section further in to the upper steering UJ. I actually got there just fine with a tiny hammer and many repeated little taps. There wasn't enough room to swing the lump hammer with confidence, but taps worked it up and out in no time. This is also the way to install the new one, tapping it gently into the upper UJ, then sliding it down onto the Steering rack input splines. The Flat surface on the Long splined shaft lines up with the clasp slot on the upper UJ, for proper fitment.

Another interesting point to note: The UJ Yokes have to line up. If they're not in line, the joint ceases to be a 'constant velocity' joint and you will get oddly varied steering ratio throughout the wheels turn. A mate who's a real proper engineer told me that. So long as you refit the New joint in the orientation the old one was in, it will be fine.

So, having done that, I drove it to work and back. SO much better. Like a new car! All the nervousness on the motorway has gone, steering reaciton are instant, and suddenly it felt like my old MK1 again in terms of steering feel and response, if not weight.

Super, super happy with the car right now. It finally feels worth the money I've put into it. Should have done the UJ as a priority job - I thought it was just sloppy suspension to be addressed in that overhaul, but in fact it feels pretty ace right now.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

JoeCool

These arrived this morning:

They are booked in to be fitted onto my OZ Ultraleggeras on Thursday!

I lent the car for a couple of weeks to a mate - who happens to be a Ford Employee/ex aston martin pre-production test driver. He absolutely loved it, in his words 'phenomenal' and a very nice package even on it's tired suspension. Sadly, I can't afford to get that all done before my Nurburgring trip in may but I felt it at least needed proper tyres. He also noticed a slight coolant leak from one of the front rad hoses, so I've bought silicone replacements for all of those and need to get them fitted too.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

manos3003

Quote from: "JoeCool"These arrived this morning:

They are booked in to be fitted onto my OZ Ultraleggeras on Thursday!

I lent the car for a couple of weeks to a mate - who happens to be a Ford Employee/ex aston martin pre-production test driver. He absolutely loved it, in his words 'phenomenal' and a very nice package even on it's tired suspension. Sadly, I can't afford to get that all done before my Nurburgring trip in may but I felt it at least needed proper tyres. He also noticed a slight coolant leak from one of the front rad hoses, so I've bought silicone replacements for all of those and need to get them fitted too.

Nice work there lad! You might not want to push it much with the tired suspension. I'm currently in the process of doing mine up, replaced most of what's rusty with new shiny stuff, handles like a dream! Waiting for the 2zz to go in and have some more fun!   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

How are you doing brakes-wise?
I can't recall a day when I drove my MR2 and it didn't put a smile on my face
<strike>2000 Spectra Blue Mica - 2ZZ-GE gone, but not forgotten</strike>
2002 Spectra Blue Mica K20A2 coming up

shnazzle

Excellent choice of tyres and sizes.
Did you ever get that stiffness with selecting reverse sorted?
It seems Patrick (headcase) implements a simple fix for this involving some 2mm washers.
Check near bottom of this first post:  l viewtopic.php?f=89&t=56933 l
...neutiquam erro.

J03

Interested to see how these look fitted, as I'm hoping to run something similar. Can I ask, why did you choose 205 50 over 205 45 for the fronts?
The Silver Shed - 2zz Rotrex ........  viewtopic.php?f=88&t=53969

tommyzoom99

very nice i would like a set me self, just something i noticed maybe its the camera angle or something but to me that top 205 looks bigger than the 1 below it. it looks almost the same size as he 225

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

JoeCool

Quote from: "J03"Interested to see how these look fitted, as I'm hoping to run something similar. Can I ask, why did you choose 205 50 over 205 45 for the fronts?
Rolling radius. It's spot on equal (well as close as you'll get for staggered tyres) in that fitment. I know it can upset ABS if you have too much differential front to rear. I debated long and hard about sizes, took expert advice from my tame test driver, and pmd various people on here to get a handle on what to go for. I'll have to hope I got it right!

Quote from: "tommyzoom99"very nice i would like a set me self, just something i noticed maybe its the camera angle or something but to me that top 205 looks bigger than the 1 below it. it looks almost the same size as he 225
Just the angle. It's actually photo'd from above and cropped oddly, so it looks weird.

Re brakes: Just New pads and braided lines (Hel) all round, new fluid, and new rear calipers and cables... So actually it's just front calipers that remain.   s:P :P s:P   and I have rebuild kits for those.

Reverse? Gearbox has improved massively for 2,000 miles use. Still a bit hard for reverse, not hard to find just a lot of resistance, and the 4th to 2nd block change catches me out sometimes and it's like there are no gears on the 1St 2nd plane. Only happened twice...

Carlimits on 8th April and Nurburgring early may, so we'll know where I stand after those. I really wish I could spring for coilovers before the 'ring, but I just can't afford them right now. I'll have to go back when I've got them fitted.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

jonty

Looks really good, we're bring cars back from a similar situation, as mine has only 55k miles on it but was stood for 2 years... I am going to order a lower UJ from TCB tomorrow, hoping it fixes my handling woes as nicely as it did yours!

Tags: