Whirring noise

Started by Fin, November 17, 2015, 10:22

Fin

I had someone else (who is far more mechanically  minded than me) stick his head under my car...
He suggested  my 'float end bearing' is knackered, since the noise is from the end of the  driveshaft not the gearbox itself.
So, has anyone else had this problem?
And, is the bearing fitted outside or inside the gearbox?
In other words can I do  it myself, or is it still a strip and refurbish job?
The Sun is out, the sky is blue,
The roof is down on my MR2,
And I\'m grinning, grinning ear to ear!

Fin

Well... according to my local Mr T, the Float End Bearings on these are pretty much bullet proof. He reckons that a "rubbing noise" at that end of the gearbox is more likely to be a Diff Bearing. Not that it would make much difference anyway, they're both a gearbox off job.
Now that I actually want (hahaha) to do the job, I can't find the How to write up for removing the transmission! Was it on here or Spyderchat?
Clutch ordered from ECP, collect tomorrow, gearbox refurb on Tuesday, back together on Wednesday (wish me luck!!). I'm used to the old fashioned clutches (front engine/rear wheel drive) but I've never done a transverse on before. I'm assuming the only real difference is the drive-shafts and lack of space..

Fin

Finally back together yesterday. New main bearing in gearbox, new clutch. Like a different car (in a good way!)
No more grinding noise, and a clutch so soft, I thought I'd forgotten to put the thrust bearing in  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  (plus, no more creaky clutch pedal  s:D :D s:D )
And it only took me 4 months to get it sorted! D'oh!

Barry Spicer

Quote from: "Fin"Finally back together yesterday. New main bearing in gearbox, new clutch. Like a different car (in a good way!)
No more grinding noise, and a clutch so soft, I thought I'd forgotten to put the thrust bearing in  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  (plus, no more creaky clutch pedal  s:D :D s:D )
And it only took me 4 months to get it sorted! D'oh!

Hi, I see you're in Kent as am I, I've just bought a Mk3 and it has what I'd call a "transmission grind", who did your repair work in case they can identify the cause - which may be the same as yours?

Cheers,

Barry
02 Reg mk3 manual
Metallic blue
Hardtop

Fin

Hi Barry, I had mine fixed at Bexhill Gearboxes
http://www.bexhillgearboxes.com/
by a friend of mine who no longer works there.
Their prices are still good, and they give a 2 year warranty, instead of the usual one year. I believe he now works on Sheppey.  If that's closer for you, I can find out the name of the company for you. He loves MR2's, having owned a mk2 turbo a few years ago.
Mine was a noisy main bearing in the end.

Tags: