TD04 Turbo

Started by Mark A, January 27, 2016, 18:58

Mark A

Anybody know which version of the TD04 turbo would suit a stock MR2? Not looking for silly boost just want quick spool up with nice linear delivery up to the rev limit.

I already have a T25 turbo manifold and the TD04s are common, pretty robust plus I've rebuilt them in the past.

I like the look of the Kinugawa Universal Turbocharger TD04L-19T 6cm T25 Flange kit which comes with all the pipes etc, but I cant decide on the 16T or 19T and if a billet wheel is worth the extra £.  

Comments or thoughts would be greatly received.

Mark

shnazzle

Who is it on here. Who is running a Subaru td04? Cabbydave?
...neutiquam erro.

cabbydave

Not me The deal fell through

shnazzle

Loadsawine? Rbuckingham?
Now I'm just rattling off names... Haha
...neutiquam erro.

stupink

if you want good spool why consider the larger exhaust housing?   I've not run td04's that said, I had a td05hr 16g on a 2.0l engine and that spooled so nice but that was because of twin scroll... to be fair these engines don't really make any power low down, so boost or not its not gonna pull until higher rpm, so I wouldn't obsess over spool personally.. opinions may vary  s;) ;) s;)
2001 1ZZ turbo. 293hp home build all the way

Anonymous

Not me, think it's blubux or something

loadswine

Not me, probably one of the few I haven't run! Never say never though.  s;) ;) s;)  I reckon there must be sensible cheap turbos we could use though.  I see some Saabs and scoobys used a td04. Could be interesting.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Mark A

"if you want good spool why consider the larger exhaust housing" Only because i'd read on Saab and Subaru forums that the 5cm housing caused the turbo to run hot with high exhaust temps so recommended 6cm. Thanks for the input.

shnazzle

Ah. That answers the question... Saab was the hint. I believe Scotte's is a td04 the no?
...neutiquam erro.

Anonymous

Quote from: "shnazzle"Ah. That answers the question... Saab was the hint. I believe Scotte's is a td04 the no?

Isva Saab turbo but is actually a gt25

shnazzle

I give up
...neutiquam erro.

Anonymous

Quote from: "shnazzle"I give up

But you were so close

l viewtopic.php?f=88&t=57516 l

shnazzle

Argh. Thanks.
well there's something that might help you Mark A  s:) :) s:)  After much ado
...neutiquam erro.

keljon

if you have a t25 manifold already then go for a t28 turbo from a nissan s14 or s15 (the s15 is ball bearing so harder to find and more expensive)
mr2 2zz with T-Sport gearbox and 8200rpm Celica ECU, DIY lightweight exhaust, K&N Typhoon induction, MiesterR coilovers, Rear Strut Brace, Underbody brace, EBC Yellow stuff and braided hoses all round, Rota slipstream 16x7 6kg a corner, Lightweight optima battery, spare wheel, tools, radio & aerial removal. Wifi ODB2 reader with dash command app for iPhone

Glubux

I tried a TD 035 from a Forester first but it was too small, the boost was decreasing a bit past  6000 RPM
Now I'm running a Subaru Impreza 2000 TD 04 at 7 PSI and I think it is great, it spools nearly as fast as the TD035, it start building boost at 1100 RPM, and hit full boost at 2200 RPM till the red line, almost no lag.

Mark A

Do you know which TD04? Is it a TD04L 13T? I'm thinking of going with a TD04L-16T slightly larger compression wheel 43.5/56mm vs (13T) 40/56mm

Glubux

Quote from: "Mark A"Do you know which TD04? Is it a TD04L 13T? I'm thinking of going with a TD04L-16T slightly larger compression wheel 43.5/56mm vs (13T) 40/56mm
Sorry I don't know for sure, but I think it is hte 13T

keljon

The Impreza td04 is a good choice for a low power setup but it won't be t25 flanged
mr2 2zz with T-Sport gearbox and 8200rpm Celica ECU, DIY lightweight exhaust, K&N Typhoon induction, MiesterR coilovers, Rear Strut Brace, Underbody brace, EBC Yellow stuff and braided hoses all round, Rota slipstream 16x7 6kg a corner, Lightweight optima battery, spare wheel, tools, radio & aerial removal. Wifi ODB2 reader with dash command app for iPhone

Mark A

Yep I appreciate that but TD04s can be bought new in T25 format or converted using one of these  m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAZDA-FORD-FO ... Swu4BVsZeH m

Leethesparky

Mines got a td04 but it's got a larger exhaust housing with a t25 flange. Spools up really quick, but I think it's on its limit now.
MR2 mk3 2001 -- done some stuff to it.
My car thread---http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=53643
My YouTube channel---- https://www.youtube.com/c/spyderlee

Mark A

Is it T13 or other

Leethesparky

My engines built around the whifbitz basic turbo kit, have a look at their website because to be honest I've no idea   s:D :D s:D
MR2 mk3 2001 -- done some stuff to it.
My car thread---http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=53643
My YouTube channel---- https://www.youtube.com/c/spyderlee

Mark A

So the Turbo is ordered, went for a TD04 16T. What size chargecooler do people use? 6, 8 or 10 inches?

Anonymous

I got a pwr 4x6 spare

mr-ed_smt

Did you go for a Kinugawa, Mark? I've got my eye on one - what made you go for a 16T over a 13T, or going up to a 19T?
[size=85]The never ending project - cherished daily driver, to fully-caged track toy![/size]

Tags: