Tyre noise.

Started by Carolyn, February 4, 2016, 19:50

Bernie

Quote from: "Topdownman"Black circles list a db rating on their  tyres as said above, they quote yoko AD08rs as 75db so could be worse!

I think you will probably just have to live with it and check the db ratings next time you buy. The problem is that there arent many makes that do both FL sizes so choice is limited.

I run Goodyear Eagle F1 GS - D3 65db

215 x 40 16" Rear
195 x 45 15" Fronts

Also B wet rated not that it goes out in the wet often !!
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

lron

Are they noticeably quieter than louder rated tyres Bernie? It's a big difference on paper but I'm never sure how accurate that is.

stewart@boro

As the db scale is a logarithmic one a 10 db increase is equivalent to a doubling of the perceptive noise. So the yoko's are twice as noisy as Bernie's Goodyears. Go electric Bernie and no one will be able to hear you  s:) :) s:)  

Weakest sound heard   0dB
Whisper Quiet Library at 6'   30dB
Normal conversation at 3'   60-65dB
Telephone dial tone   80dB
City Traffic (inside car)   85dB
Train whistle at 500', Truck Traffic   90dB
Jackhammer at 50'   95dB
Subway train at 200'   95dB
Level at which sustained exposure may result in hearing loss   90 - 95dB
Hand Drill   98dB
Power mower at 3'   107dB
Snowmobile, Motorcycle   100dB
Power saw at 3'   110dB
Sandblasting, Loud Rock Concert   115dB
Pain begins   125dB
Pneumatic riveter at 4'   125dB
Even short term exposure can cause permanent damage - Loudest recommended exposure WITH hearing protection   140dB
Jet engine at 100'   140dB
12 Gauge Shotgun Blast   165dB
Death of hearing tissue   180dB
Loudest sound possible   194dB
TF 160 TTE exhaust and style bar and other shiny bits.
Replaced by an Abarth 124 Spider

Bernie

Quote from: "lron"Are they noticeably quieter than louder rated tyres Bernie? It's a big difference on paper but I'm never sure how accurate that is.

Hard to say as on my previous 2 I ran Dunlop SP Sport @68db so can't compare but can't say I've noticed that the Goodyears are a concern
Readers Ride

shnazzle

We swear by Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric2s on all non-mr2 cars Bernie. They're just damn good
...neutiquam erro.

Bernie

Quote from: "shnazzle"We swear by Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric2s on all non-mr2 cars Bernie. They're just damn good

Mine aren't asymmetric Pat but GS-D3

Different tread pattern and to quote tyre leader "outstanding" !!

Readers Ride

shnazzle

Same difference!  s:) :) s:)  Same compound. Different tread
...neutiquam erro.

Wabbitkilla

GSD3 are a cracking good tyre, better than asymmetric any day!
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

tricky1138

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"GSD3 are a cracking good tyre, better than asymmetric any day!

Might have to have a look at them shortly then!!!
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

MR TWO

I can't hear the tyres 'cause the exhaust is so loud the music is always flat out!

Sorry Carolyn, I haven't any useful advice!
1MZFE, Emerald ECU, LSD, BC coilovers, custom middle & front under brace, F / R strut brace. Slotted discs & yellow pads, Blue flame exhaust.
Carrera leather seats, Davids bars, Focal subwoofer & voce speakers & bling !
TRD Stage 2 F & R spoilers,  Haltezza bonnet, C1 side vents, JDL rear panel

shnazzle

I'm always nervous to try something else, especially when I can't find a single fault in what I've got.
...neutiquam erro.

MR Roadie 2

Like most of the boys I also like to hear my engine, but only when it's above 4000rpm. When everyday driving I also would like to make my car quieter.
Got my Roadie late last year with different tyres makes fitted and I found my car noisy from road noise. My first mod was 4 new tyres, Hankook ventus prime 2. First thing I noticed was my roadie being quieter.
I had already bought sound deadening (Wickes hi tack flashing) and sound proofing (10mm mixed foam,£50 for all) which I will be fitting tomorrow to the inside of my car. Not the wings just yet.
I will update tomorrow once I go a test drive.
Just for fun also used a free noise level app on my phone while driving at 60mph and with the phone on my passenger seat. Although I know it's not a calibrated instrument but my tyre change was about 4db less, then another 2db less once I fitted the hard top.
2000 silver, Red leather seats, A/C.
Mods so far- 2005 Engine, Hankook tyres, Goodridge braided lines, EBC Greenstuff, Matt Performance brace, FL front brace, Yellowspeed coilovers, Custom quad exhaust + toyo manifold, markiii pipe, K&N Panel filter, TRD side skirts, rear spats, rear spoiler.

2006 Silver SP240 Turbo, red & black seats & red/black steering wheel, hardtop, ac, Halo DRL/Fog lights,

Jock

Didn't get felt In Wickes?  Good for candles I believe  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

lamcote

I've never got felt in Wickes but I did get goosed in Asda!
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

MR Roadie 2

Fitted my sound deadening and sound proofing to the foot wells and floor pan below the seats. I have not  sound proofed between the the parcel shelf and the engine bay.
The road noise is quieter than before and know I can hear my engine more clearly due to less road noise.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
I would suggest you might want to try and sound proof below the parcel shelf area, foot wells and floor pan below sits. I think this might be more effective that sound deadening the wings.
It would say it's worth ago.
2000 silver, Red leather seats, A/C.
Mods so far- 2005 Engine, Hankook tyres, Goodridge braided lines, EBC Greenstuff, Matt Performance brace, FL front brace, Yellowspeed coilovers, Custom quad exhaust + toyo manifold, markiii pipe, K&N Panel filter, TRD side skirts, rear spats, rear spoiler.

2006 Silver SP240 Turbo, red & black seats & red/black steering wheel, hardtop, ac, Halo DRL/Fog lights,

Carolyn

Quote from: "MR Roadie 2"Fitted my sound deadening and sound proofing to the foot wells and floor pan below the seats. I have not  sound proofed between the the parcel shelf and the engine bay.
The road noise is quieter than before and know I can hear my engine more clearly due to less road noise.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
I would suggest you might want to try and sound proof below the parcel shelf area, foot wells and floor pan below sits. I think this might be more effective that sound deadening the wings.
It would say it's worth ago.
That's interesting!  sounds like seats out carpet out, cubbyholes out and sound proof the lot?
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Jock

Life is too short, and so am I for stuffing mushrooms and pillows   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   but clearly not for a wee Google   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

The NS-20's from what I can see are V and not H rated   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

So maybe need to be sure what are on the wheels and the manufacture date.  Maybe check recommended tyre pressure with Nankang   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:

Carolyn

Quote from: "Jock"Life is too short, and so am I for stuffing mushrooms and pillows   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   but clearly not for a wee Google   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

The NS-20's from what I can see are V and not H rated   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

So maybe need to be sure what are on the wheels and the manufacture date.  Maybe check recommended tyre pressure with Nankang   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:

According to my Googling they are H rated.

Pillows are worth a go!!

Peter Wright

Interesting article in todays Sunday Times driving section on tyre noise with facts and new markings coming soon for tyre noise
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

Jock

My earlier post of today seems to have been chopped   s:( :( s:(  

So as not to offend   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  

The tyre speed rating is on the tyre - you do not need to Google   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  .  91V I reckon   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Carolyn

Quote from: "Jock"My earlier post of today seems to have been chopped   s:( :( s:(  

So as not to offend   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  

The tyre speed rating is on the tyre - you do not need to Google   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  .  91V I reckon   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I didn't see the post that got chopped.  Yes, I am actually capable of looking at my tyres. It does have a V on the sidewall.  But if you look up the speed rating on any site that's selling them or on other source the speed rating is given as H.  Perhaps the rating is different for different sizes?

Ardent

Carolyn
If I understand correctly the tyre you are referring to is this.
 m http://www.camskill.co.uk/m62b0s4034p11 ... se%3A_72dB m

Camskill have it as a V rated tyre.
However. Just to add to the mix. Mr T specs a V rated tyre for the Front and a W rated tyre for the rear. That a side.
I think the more telling issue is the Load rating of 90 and XL. OEM spec is 86.
Load rating 90 is designed to carry 600kg an extra 70kg per tyre more than we require.
That stiffness is going to transmit through the body.

Not sure if that helps or not, but I'm trying to.
Jase

Carolyn

Quote from: "Ardent"Carolyn
If I understand correctly the tyre you are referring to is this.
 m http://www.camskill.co.uk/m62b0s4034p11 ... se%3A_72dB m

Camskill have it as a V rated tyre.
However. Just to add to the mix. Mr T specs a V rated tyre for the Front and a W rated tyre for the rear. That a side.
I think the more telling issue is the Load rating of 90 and XL. OEM spec is 86.
Load rating 90 is designed to carry 600kg an extra 70kg per tyre more than we require.
That stiffness is going to transmit through the body.

Not sure if that helps or not, but I'm trying to.
Jase

Indeed you are being helpful!  When it comes time to change,I'll try the Toyos and see how they compare.  In the meantime, I've stuffed a high-tog double duvet in the lockers, I'll find out how that helps with the noise tomorrow.  It would seem the rating is not just about speed - as the bigger wheels will rotate more slowly than the smaller ones at the front.  W for the back implies MR T is upping the rating for  higher stress?

Ardent

the falken 914s are worth considering.
The rears are very close to Mr T spec
The fronts are the reverse of above. They have a load rating of 86 when only 81 is required.
However not much to grizzle about for money.

To get as close as poss to Mr T spec. It's the Yokos.

Jock

Ratings vary for all sorts of reasons.  Maybe the daft laddie but I just think that what is on the tyre you have, is a better source than any other   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  .

I do not think that I questioned your capability to look at your tyres.  Simply drew your attention to the detail on them   s:? :? s:?

Tags: