high power clutch options.. plus behaviour of dying paddle

Started by stupink, February 27, 2016, 22:11

stupink

I the wet I got no slip on launch control, just tried my first launch in the dry to see how much quicker it was, and it was like I had no clutch, night and day, couldn't get off the line just hit the limiter... now.... I know in the wet my traction control will cut back a bit of power due to wheelspin, which will help the clutch.. but I still think its on the way out.. but how can you tell on a paddle clutch? now its cooled down it grips fine in all gears, and I can stall the car with the handbrake on as expected etc....

What clutches do people use that can cope with an aggressive launch and 300hp?  s:) :) s:)

I don't really want to take the clutch out to inspect it visually, any holes in the gearbox that allow you a sneeky peak at the pressure plate side-on? I have an endoscope, but can't see any holes (pondering drilling one!!!)
2001 1ZZ turbo. 293hp home build all the way

Anonymous

Bottom of the gearbox there is a plastic cover to the back of the flywheel. Should be able to get the scope round from there.

Speak to rogue, but I use a ogura racing clutch ORC-309D-15T. It rattles and makes noise when your foot is on the clutch, it is also a heavy pedal. However it is designed so you can dump the clutch as much as you like and it won't give just go. I now got a double version for the big power engine that needs to be built.

stupink

Is rogues website supposed to be empty bar contact details? every single page is just blank.... I found that clutch elsewhere for what seemed to be about 450-500 ouchies.. but then I knew it wouldn't be cheap..   not sure I want to go to a twin plate sintered but at the same time I need what I need.. so I will speak with rogue in the week or email them and see what they recommend.  s:) :) s:)  
in the meanwhile i'll try to get my cam through that access plate and have a nose.. after a nights pondering i'm fairly sure its not worn out, but just too weak to launch this much power, as I seem to recall it doing the same thing when I first got the car and tried a launch.. but my memory isn't great.  I don't want to do this often is the annoying thing, I just want to test the dry 0-60 and 1/4mile once.. then i'll probably never do it again as its a circuit car really!  
thanks for the input
2001 1ZZ turbo. 293hp home build all the way

Tags: