2004 Front under brace?

Started by jamesm182, March 10, 2016, 08:47

jamesm182

My car has the 2004 factory under brace fitted. Did these come only on facelift models or 2004 onwards?

Anyway, mine is quite rusty - still looks solid (I think) but I guess the metal is quite thin and may not clean up that well?

What would everyone suggest? Have a go at cleaning it or replace it? Can they still be purchased new and if so rough cost? Can't seem to see any second hand ones on ebay?
2004 MR2 Silver, Hardtop & A/C, TRD Manifold, Custom induction kit, Tein springs & KYB shocks

jeffsimply

Just how rusty are we talking?

It's going to have a bit of rust on it being 12 years old, doubt it's that bad though?

Topdownman

Definitely try cleaning, rust treatment and then some suitable paint.

Probably then going to need to redo every few years but I would doubt there would be a need to replace.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

gazza1286

All of the face lift under body struts/spars can be unbolted and rust-treated on a bench.

hamspeed

It's mostly just surface rust... Mine was quite corroded so I had it sandblasted and painted with an epoxy anti rust paint. Though you could also have it powdercoated.
02' Toyota MR2 Roadster Race Car -
Owner @ GarageFiftyNine - Supplier of Automotive parts and accessories | Stainless Steel Manifolds | LED/DRL Fo

jamesm182

Quote from: "jeffsimply"Just how rusty are we talking?

It's going to have a bit of rust on it being 12 years old, doubt it's that bad though?

It does look reasonably rusty but the car has spend most of its life in Scotland. I'll try and get a photo when I get a minute.
2004 MR2 Silver, Hardtop & A/C, TRD Manifold, Custom induction kit, Tein springs & KYB shocks

jamesm182

It's this type. I was just wondering if the metal on the arms would be too thin as it doesn't look that thick.

smart51

Bush off anything loose.  Inspect for holes.  If there are none, treat with rust converter like Krust.  Paint.  Waxoyl or Dinitrol.  Sorted.

If there are small holes, replace, give the old one to me and I'll weld in a patch and fit it to my car!

jamesm182

Thanks guys think I will give it a go cleaning it up and painting

Tags: