17 inch alloys on lowered MR-S

Started by Anonymous, December 16, 2004, 17:44

Anonymous

I have just bought an MRS as a jap import. 2000 model. It has been lowered by the look of things. Currently has about 59cm from ground to top of wheel arch. I believe it had 16 or 17 inch wheels on originally, but these where swiped when it was being SVA tested. It is now sitting on original 15 inch scruffy alloys. It tramlines terribly. I am going for 17's primarily for cosmetics, as it has a really nice body kit on it as well. Questions:

1.Are 17 x 7 pcd 100 offset 38 going to work with toyo prox's? Will they catch the wheel arches or the inside of the wheel arch?

2. I have noticed some guys saying the ideal offset is 45. Isnt the original offset 38? If I go for the 38 offset, will it catch, or will the handling suffer?

3. What size tyre should I fit as a good compromise on grip and handling, but without tramlining, of suffering serious over/understeer?

I am thinking of fitting these wheels:

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 4&tc=photo m

Any help appreciated

Jap GT300

Thats a nice set of alloys you are thinking about.

My girlfriend has a set of BK racing alloys with the same spec "17 x 7 pcd 100 offset 38"

They dont rub unless you have the car jacked up,, then the wheels don't turn.

The tyres on hers are 225/40/17 Uniroyal rainsports.  The car drives well with them although it has all been proffessionaly tracked up recently.

What kit do you have?  Any pictures?

Adam

Anonymous

Hi
Are the tyres the same size at the front as well as the rear? Looking at the various threads, there seems to be  a liking for larger on the rear.

Not sure what type of bodykit is fitted, as it came fitted. Been well done though, with a nigh on perfect paint match.

How do I post pictures?

Jap GT300

Quote from: "slipper 1"Hi
Are the tyres the same size at the front as well as the rear? Looking at the various threads, there seems to be  a liking for larger on the rear.

Not sure what type of bodykit is fitted, as it came fitted. Been well done though, with a nigh on perfect paint match.

How do I post pictures?

It is better to have a larger size in the rear as I have done on mine.  The problem is that a lot of package wheels dont allow for you to put a larger size tread on the rear.

Pictures need to be hosted on a server first.  If you want you can email me the pictures on afield@gt-international. com so you can post them.

Anonymous

Thanks for that. Pictures on their way. What size tyres have you went for? Are all your alloys the same size? Any thoughts on the type of bodykit that is fitted?

Jap GT300

Here is your car!

The kit is widely known as a TRD Stage 1.  I had the same kit myself once.  In Japan they call it a Fun Sports Kit and is available as a factory option.

I do have different size alloys front and rear but they are on a wide bodykit,

Anonymous

Factory option! That would explain the good paint match! On your girlfriends car I am assuming she has the same size tyres all round? Is there any specific suspension settings when fitting 17's?

Tem

Quote from: "Jap GT300"The kit is widely known as a TRD Stage 1.  I had the same kit myself once.  In Japan they call it a Fun Sports Kit and is available as a factory option.

IMHO that's the best bodykit out there...it just adds that little bit to the car, instead of trying to change it  s8) 8) s8)

And it looks even better live  s:!: :!: s:!:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Bongo

about how much would that kit cost?

Tem

Quote from: "Bongo"about how much would that kit cost?

It was about 1000 euros (in Japan, add shipping and taxes), but I'm not sure if it's available anymore. Japanparts says it isn't, but some say it is.

Erebuni has a cpy for $643 anyway:
 m http://www.erebuni.net/ge/toymr2new.htm m
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Darth Paul

Quote from: "slipper 1"I am thinking of fitting these wheels:

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 4&tc=photo m

Any help appreciated

These wheels will be FIVE STUD and will not fit!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   Unless he has four stud as well.

Anonymous

The 5 stud was for illustration only. The ones I would be buying are 4x100 PCD with an offset of 38. Any advise on tyre size to use for the front and back? Is that the right offset for a year 2000 roadster?

Darth Paul

Ummm, t'was four stud for illustration!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   Though I'm sure you won't be making any daft boobs.

Tags: