heal and toe gas pedal adapter

Started by ian710, March 26, 2016, 17:51

ian710

Hello all,
I love it when a plan comes together and I can see results in an hour.
I got this idea from one of you that posted a picture of an extension for the gas pedal that makes heel and toeing easier for downshifts.
The weather was good and I decided to add the part before my big road trip that I have planned in 3 weeks.
Here is how the part was added:
First I drilled 2 holes in the plastic part of the gas pedal (3.2mm diameter, the diameter of my rivets)

Then I measured how big I wanted the addition to be.

I just happened to have a nice piece of Alum the right thickness.

So I cut it out. The thickness of the pedal is 5mm thick and I wanted the pedal extension to be flush with the top surface so I needed to mill of 5mm from the 8mm thick alum block

I put a milling bit in the drill press since I don't have a milling machine.

Then very carefully I milled the step in the block, it was not very clean but it worked just well enough.

With the disk grinder I cleaned up the edges and rounded it off.

Test the block in place to make sure it fits.

With a tracer punch, mark the 2 holes on the block and drill it out. I just happened to have the exact size rivets in my box of spare bits (never happened before).

Rivet the block in pace and test the car out.

It makes the double clutching downshifts very sweet indeed.
If you have spare hour try it out, you won't be disappointed.
I also added this thread to my Reader rides if you want to see other things that I've done to the car.
Regards,
Ian
2003 Blue MR2, daily driver, fun car, road trip car, a bit scratched up, original paint and roof. had it now for 3 or 4 years., (i can't remeber)

Tags: