Excessive turning over before catching -Post MAF Mod

Started by jvanzyl, March 31, 2016, 09:16

jvanzyl

Just to update this thread - this is the current state of affairs with the turning on of the car:
 m https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing m

File 1 is right after the maf mod.
File 2 is the morning afer
File 3 is following file 2 after a 25 min drive, and then 10 minute wait.

Would be very keen for anyone's input on how to resolve this!

Better spark plugs?? Throttle body clean??

CrazySX

Quote from: "jvanzyl"Just to update this thread - this is the current state of affairs with the turning on of the car:

Not being funny mate, but how old is your battery?

The first cranking sounds ok, although excessive, the second file (the morning after) sounds really slow to crank. This tells me less juice in the battery.

shnazzle

Quote from: "CrazySX"
Quote from: "jvanzyl"Just to update this thread - this is the current state of affairs with the turning on of the car:

The first cranking sounds ok, although excessive, the second file (the morning after) sounds really slow to crank. This tells me less juice in the battery.

Still odd that it started after maf mod...
But yeah, get your multimeter out and test the battery with engine off and on.

Mine's on the way out, reading only 12.48v off and very low 13 on running. And even then it still starts in 2-3 cranks max
...neutiquam erro.

CrazySX

Quote from: "shnazzle"
Quote from: "CrazySX"

Still odd that it started after maf mod...
But yeah, get your multimeter out and test the battery with engine off and on.

Mine's on the way out, reading only 12.48v off and very low 13 on running. And even then it still starts in 2-3 cranks max

ok so maybe not the battery, but best to eliminate it as a potential issue.

jvanzyl

Hey guys,
It's a new battery (yuasa or something) £70 one from Halfords- replaced in Sept odd last year.. will test it tonight with the multimeter...

-Could there be gunk in the cylinders that I accidentally knocked in whilst changing the injectors?
-Is it possible that that there is a difference between the ECU's from pfl to fl in terms of their ability to adapt to this mod?
-Could it be that my spark plugs/ignition coils are going?

I'll record what it's like to start tonight when I do my "stamping" thing - but ideally I'd like it to start properly!

CrazySX

Quote from: "jvanzyl"Hey guys,
It's a new battery (yuasa or something) £70 one from Halfords- replaced in Sept odd last year.. will test it tonight with the multimeter...

-Could there be gunk in the cylinders that I accidentally knocked in whilst changing the injectors?
-Is it possible that that there is a difference between the ECU's from pfl to fl in terms of their ability to adapt to this mod?
-Could it be that my spark plugs/ignition coils are going?

I'll record what it's like to start tonight when I do my "stamping" thing - but ideally I'd like it to start properly!

I am bored at work today so decided to read through spyder chat.  Check post 112 on page 6 as below  m http://www.spyderchat.com/forums/showth ... f+mod+dyno m  

sounds similar to your issue, also read on, you will see at post 130 the issue is fixed and found to be a leaky injector :/

On a seperate note, i think mine feels like its not getting enough air.  Going to change the mushroom filter out for an old enclosure i have knocking about.  Also the car seems to hesitate a little on take off in first.  But i think i read that was normal somewhere?

jvanzyl

Thanks for the link! I had a look at it and I'm going to try and find that data via the OBD reader tonight....

Find a scann code reader that can do Live Data.. Looking at the fuel Trims..

If the Fuel Pump Pressure is proper, and the Yellow Injectors are good, and the MAF is proper and clean, the Long Term Fuel Trim for bank One and Bank two should be close to the same number.. And should be from -10 to Zero..

I need to look up what the right fuel pump pressure is...

Cap did make a point later on that some debris may have gotten into the cylinders... any idea how to resolve that?

CrazySX

Quote from: "jvanzyl"Thanks for the link! I had a look at it and I'm going to try and find that data via the OBD reader tonight....

Find a scann code reader that can do Live Data.. Looking at the fuel Trims..

If the Fuel Pump Pressure is proper, and the Yellow Injectors are good, and the MAF is proper and clean, the Long Term Fuel Trim for bank One and Bank two should be close to the same number.. And should be from -10 to Zero..

I need to look up what the right fuel pump pressure is...

Cap did make a point later on that some debris may have gotten into the cylinders... any idea how to resolve that?

I think he meant the injectors may have got dirty.  If the debris went into the combustion chamber it would be DUST!

Whip the injectors out and clean everything with a pipe attached to a can of carb cleaner? :p

jvanzyl

lol... fair enough..

OK - I can try it all again and go nuts with the carb cleaner!
is there a guide on how to clean the throttle body?

I'm thinking one of my injectors has a leak... I've emailed simtek to ask them about the steps to resolve this and how they can help me.

jvanzyl

Ok just checked long term trim.
On cold start they were sitting at-20 whilst idling.
After being warmed up and during driving both would return different numbers often varying by up to 10.
Then on restart whilst still warm the idling would sit between 0 & +5...

Leak??

CrazySX

I ain't sure on fuel trims mate.

As for cleaning the throttle body, just wedge the butterfly open and shoot some carb cleaner all around. Make sure you use something soft like the gigantic pencil I have. Or a wooden stick not to damage the throttle body or butterfly

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

CrazySX

I had my first trip to work with the maf mod in today and there is defo more torque. I was driving in 6th a lot more than usual.

jvanzyl

It is good fun isn't it!  :-) :-) :-)

CrazySX

Quote from: "jvanzyl"It is good fun isn't it!  :-) :-) :-)
Excellent yes. But I can't help but think the car isn't as quick when you go flat out. I thought it maybe the HKS mushroom filter but it's only done a thousand miles and I took it off today and breathed through it and there was no restriction at all.

I think the fact that the power delivery is better at lower RPM you don't get such a kick at 4k and hence the car feels slower?

I went up a hill today in 6th doing 35mph and didn't shudder lol!

I have bolted the HKS back up for now. See how I get on. I want to see what it's done for fuel consumption too. I used to get about 240 to a tank before. Let's see what I get now  s:) :) s:)

jvanzyl

I know what you mean, but it's deceptive. You basically only realize how fast you're going when you look down at the spedometer...and also you're used to a certain engine note and gearing = X speed... so when you have the same engine note and gearing but a higher speed the only real way i think you'd notice it would be look at the dial?

I took a screenshot of the long term Trim for 1 & 2 this morning... it's not looking like Cap said it should...
Do you have an OBD reader? if so would you be able to tell me what your long term trim levels are?

shnazzle

Doesn't seem like the "trick" is working on yours.
It's reading that you're running very rich. I think at -25 it will throw a code.
Not sure how good that is for your cat running -20 fuel trims for a long time
...neutiquam erro.

jvanzyl

s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  

noooooo! dammit!

Right. it's coming out tonight if that's the case!
EDIT: what would be the reason for it running rich?

shnazzle

Quote from: "jvanzyl":crazyeyes:

noooooo! dammit!

Right. it's coming out tonight if that's the case!
EDIT: what would be the reason for it running rich?

Too much fuel or too little air  s:) :) s:)
Checked your air filter lately?
...neutiquam erro.

jvanzyl

hmmm.... ok.. air filter is still white with the obvious grey/black specks in it..
 K&N at lunch time then?

I did recorded my "stomp" start this morning (file number 4) - basically stamp on the gas and then quickly turn on and try to release the gas at the right time to catch, I almost had it....
 m https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... 1JRbkdsbFU m

I think there may be two issue's here.. the general running rich and the startup issue..

shnazzle

Did you check the bottom of the filter? The top part is the "filtered" side. The bottom is the side that gets blocked up
...neutiquam erro.

jvanzyl

ah....guess I'll be doing that at lunch time!!

shnazzle

Hell try removing the filter and starting it up. See if that makes a difference. Don't go driving around too much though, the filter is there for a reason  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

CrazySX

If i remember correctly from Cap's thread, the long term trim is supposed to be -7.  Is you Maf riser in correctly and your MAF clean?

What Shnazz said it spot on, play with the filter and see if it makes a difference, make sure your MAF plug is firmly connected too.

I will dig out my bluetooth OBD2 tonight and connect it up.  What app are you using to check?

jvanzyl

As far as I can tell, I've got it in correctly??

CrazySX

and the vanes are out yes?

Tags: