1st service

Started by mrsmr2, December 20, 2004, 14:50

mrsmr2

Just had my 10k service at a main dealer in Leicester.

£111.11!

Just for engine oil and filter change plus some Fuel additive (£10+VAT).

I pointed out to the service guy that I thought Toyota's were supposed to be cheap.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

They did fix the driver's door arm rest so that has stopped popping out now, and surprisingly they removed the near side 02 sensor so I could have a look at the pre-cat (after a lot of persuading).

And, they nicely left a 1l bottle of Mobil S oil on the passenger seat  s:D :D s:D  

Thankfully, the cat looked OK, although you can only see a small part of it.

The mechanic had experience of the pre-cat going on a pre 02 MR2 but thought the debris just collected in the back box.  Obviously, he wouldn't know if it was getting sucked back into the engine or not.

Anyway, is this a reasonable price, or should I shop elsewhere?  I asked how much for the full 20k service and was told there is a fixed price of £160 plus something else that needs doing at 20k miles (can't remember what it was - might have been brake fluid replacement) so approximately £220.

Regards

Jason
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

darrenjuggins

Hi Jason,

Err.... a little expensive....

My 10k was only £38 + supplied Mobil 1.

The most i've paid for a service (I've now done 67k) is £113 + supplied Mobil 1.

so I'd shop around.

Please use the serch engine on the Forum, I'm sure you will find man more references to dealer quality and price.

BTW: I use Lister Toyota Lincoln, which have been superb throughout.

Cheers

Darren J

(MR2 - 2000 - 67k, so plenty of experience of services!)   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Darren A. Juggins

Anonymous

RMB Toyota in Stockton charged us £280 for our MR2's 20k service in October. It seemed very expensive to me, but I assumed it was a set price.  As I've been reading these forums since then, I've seen that there seems to be a surprising amount of variation between servicing prices at different dealers, so it's definitely worth shopping about if you have other dealers nearby.

Now I'm just dreading my Lexus' 40k service in February...   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

mrsmr2

And there is a deep scratch just below the bonnet  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

I'm going back tomorrow.
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

darrenjuggins

10,000     10,240    £38.92
 20,000     20,033    £105.57
 30,000     29,982    £102.59
 40,000     40,174    £134.10
 50,000     50,075    £59.18
 60,000     59,980    £113.08

See above - Service costs and at what mileage (need to add cost of Oil - Mobil One Ave. Price £30 per 4 litres)

Hope this helps   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Cheers

Darren J
Darren A. Juggins

mrsmr2

Went to Toyota today and they had a record of the scratch on their service form.  So it seems it wasn't them.  Pity they didn't mark the scratch on the Visual Safety Report they gave me (which has a picture of a car specifically for marking scratches and dents).

I can only think the scratch happened close to me taking it to Toyota and was masked by all the sludgy crap that's coming off the roads at the moment.

Booked it in next week to look at the squeaks and rattles.

Jason

Anonymous

I love that.

Did you sign to say when you handed the car over that you agreed with their record of the scratches.  Nope, thought not.

So by doing their visual inspection, how does that any proof the scratch was there before they got it?

It isn't, obviously.

Anonymous

Quote from: "darrenjuggins"10,000     10,240    £38.92

Darren J

......I thought that a modern car service is either for a certain mileage or 12 months which ever is the sooner? And that it is not adviseable to exceed the stated mileage or 12 month limit due to the possibility of warranty problems? What mileage if any is the tolerance for going over?

Oh and my 10000 mile service was about £92 plus oil plus small incidentals plus the lovely VAT (around £125 total I recall)

Jason, I think your scratch is more than likely to have been done at MrT.  if you had not noticed it before. Simply because they noticed it and supposedly made a note about it...very co-incidental. I have a rather large chip on my bonnet (more of a crater really) and you cannot fail to notice it, but MrT did not comment on it. But theres no way you can prove it's them. So as Jim Carey said in Lair Lair "I'm just going have to bend over and take it up the tail pipe"

I must get my courage up to sort out the "chip" over christmas.

Hope4Sun

I do miss the costs of running the MR2, looking back now it seemd very resonable, bearing in mind the 34 needs an oil change every 3000 miles and at £160 just for filter/oil and labour!!!  s:( :( s:(  (Good job i don't drive her much   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  )

Right i'm off down the Toyota garage  s;) ;) s;)

Andy
R35 GTR<br />X Sable 05 Roadster To many mods to list

Anonymous

See above - Service costs and at what mileage (need to add cost of Oil - Mobil One Ave. Price £30 per 4 litres)

Cheers

Darren J

Crikey!! Darren, are the quoted prices *actual costs*? I'm asking as I live in good old Donny [not too far from Lincoln] and my local Toyota quoted around £400.00 for a 40k service!!

So what I'm saying is I'm *more* than prepared to travel for a service if these figures are indeed cosha!!

Cheers fella    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Bongo

My 30k service was ~£75 from Inchcape Toyota Burton including oil and everything (it's the only service i've had done). Quite odd as other things seem quite expensive there   s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bakey"

Cheers

Darren J

Crikey!! Darren, are the quoted prices *actual costs*? I'm asking as I live in good old Donny [not too far from Lincoln] and my local Toyota quoted around £400.00 for a 40k service!!

So what I'm saying is I'm *more* than prepared to travel for a service if these figures are indeed cosha!!

Cheers fella    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Bakey:

Make sure you always compare like with like.  Look carefully at the service requirements and check that the 'cheap' quotes you get include the same items as the more expensive ones.  Does the 40k service price you quote include, perhaps, a 2-yearly brake fluid change?  Coolant change?  Do you want these done......?

There is undoubtely a range of service prices from different dealers, but you will also probably be able to negotiate with your local dealer if you have a better price.

darrenjuggins

Hi Chaps,

Ok answer to the first question - the most i've gone over is 250 miles, I always ring prior to the service to see when a spot is available, as i like a car for the day, so I estimate roughly when i will hit the mileage, I've been pretty spot on most of the time, normal they allow a few hundrad miles grace.

Bakey - the prices quoted are correct, stright off the invoice, the only thing you need to add is your chosen oil (I use Mobil 1 or Shell Helix) depending on the price you can get it for it add say on average £20 / £30 to the price for 4 litres. (Considerably cheaper if you know someone in the trade   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )

Listers of Lincoln's team are spot on, i've just dropped them a nice xmas bonus off for them all to have a drink on me, that how impressed I am with thier service, costs and satisfaction of warranty issues.

(Note: have just had new engine, cat system, brake cable, rear bearing, wiper motor, all under extended warranty - with a loan car for 14 days, so i'd say they deserved a little something for looking after me so well)

Looks like I've got them a new customer, please feel free to mention I recommended them to ya  :-) :-) :-)

One final note - the prices quoted are not special prices, they are just what they charge !!!!!!!! (i would feel to cheeky to ask for a price reduction!)

Cheers

Darren J
Darren A. Juggins

mrsmr2

I know their record doesn't prove much really.  They could have scratched the car and then filled in their record.  I didn't see their record before.

What's confusing me is that I also didn't notice the scratch when I went to inspect the pre-cat.  The scratch is on the other side (in line with the other pre-cat) and a fire alarm was going off which made it almost impossible to talk to the mechanic - so that all could have distracted me at the time.

Plus the car was dirty so it is possible that it was there before.

But, I can't prove it either way.

Looks like the service wasn't too extortionate (apart from Darren's costs) but I'll definitely shop around next time.

Jason

darrenjuggins

Jason,

your only an hour away from Lincoln, could be worth the juice to have your services done over here and also a little shopping  :-) :-) :-)

Cheers

Darren J
Darren A. Juggins

mrsmr2

Darren

I have considered the idea, and I like Lincoln.  Good thing about the 2 though is no room for shopping  s:D :D s:D  

Jason

darrenjuggins

Hi Jason,

If you do decided to come, let us know how you get on with them.

Question for all - Is Lincoln the cheapest place for Menu Price Servicing ?

If it is don't tell them - I like my prices Ta  :-) :-) :-)

Cheers

Darren J
Darren A. Juggins

mrsmr2

Car is back having been returned to the dealier to fix some squeaks and rattles.  This time I went round the car with them as they logged the scratches.

Dealer gave me a courtesy car for the day and after I picked the 2 up again, the major squeaks had gone.  However, this means I can now hear the soft top squeaking as I go over bumps - agh.

The dealer wasn't happy with one of the front hard top bracketts so they have ordered one for me.

So, a bit better experience this time.

Regards

Jason

Tags: