Missfire

Started by Steveohim, May 11, 2016, 07:31

Steveohim

Yes sorry that's what I meant knocked out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steveohim

No error codes, but the plugs were in pretty bad condition so fingers crossed, it happened again this morning for about 5 miles then disappeared

Wabbitkilla

Sounds like it just needs a darned good service, new plugs and all.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Steveohim

Well on the 30 mile drive home the engine management light did flicker for a minute or 2 but no misfire as far as I can tell, could a coil pack be at fault?

Lurch

I had this on mine and mine has only done 10,800 miles from new but stored over winter months, turned out to be one faulty spark plug , although no mileage but with age it still failed so a new set of plugs sorted mine.
LURCH

Steveohim

Had new set put in, seemed to improve it but the engine management light flickered for about 2 miles, not sure if it misfired as I was going quite fast with the roof down, it's weird that it bought no error codes on a snap on code reader, quite frustrating. I've bought myself a cheap code reader the will try plug it in when it happens again

Lurch

Mine was saying misfire cylinder 3 so I moved the coils around first , reset the code and drove it again and said cylinder 3 again so that iliminated the coils, swapped plugs around reset it and went for a drive and a different cylinder fault occurred so knew it was a doggey plug. Replaced and reset , sorted. May be a coil pack ?
LURCH

Steveohim

I'm hoping it will give me a code when it happens again but nothing when its fine

Steveohim

Ok so I got my code reader through today, and when I connected it it gave me a code of  po304 cylinder 4 misfire, the plugs were changed so I'm guessing it's a coil pack? What does erase codes mean on the reader, is that erase codes from the ecu?

Wabbitkilla

Erase codes means erase the current error codes from the ecu.

Swap coil packs 3 & 4 over to verify if the fault follows the coil pack. If it does ..... replace it
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

Steveohim

Ok just to confirm number 4 is on left as you look at the engine under bonnet?

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "Steveohim"Ok just to confirm number 4 is on left as you look at the engine under bonnet?

Correct, they number 1 to 4 from the timing chain end of the engine.

Steveohim

Ok thanks but after I cleared the codes I drive it about 5 miles and no codes have reappeared since, does that mean it was the plugs?

Wabbitkilla

Please be logical about this.
1. You said the plugs were in bad shape.
2. You said the plugs were changed.
3. You said the misfire was still there.

You can understand how I am now getting totally confused by your statements.

So can you please tell us what the order of events is?

Steveohim

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Please be logical about this.
1. You said the plugs were in bad shape.
2. You said the plugs were changed.
3. You said the misfire was still there.

You can understand how I am now getting totally confused by your statements.

So can you please tell us what the order of events is?

i never said the misfire was still there, i said the engine light flickered on for about 2 miles. yes the plugs were in bad shape, so changed those, got my reader through today and it said misfire on cylinder 4, so cleared codes and drove it 5 miles took another reading and still no codes, so i was asking was it possibly the plugs, but if it was why did the engine management light flicker on when driving back from the garage just after having the plugs fitted?

Wabbitkilla

Ok, some codes take a few trips to appear.

Go out for a few trips and see how it goes.
Fresh plugs make a lot of difference.

spit

The usual plan of attack for misfire after you've ruled out duff plugs is exactly what Wabbit has suggested - swap coil packs around and see if the code moves with the offending pack. If it does, replace the coil pack, if it doesn't, get your cyl4 injector checked out.

Above all, don't drive the car if the EML is flashing.

As for why your EML has been intermittent, well, who knows. Maybe you're up and running again following a severe misfire fault. If it returns, take action.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Steveohim

Why is it important not to drive it if it's flashing? I would of thought it would be more serious if it was permanently on

spit

Really? I suspect most people would disagree with that.

Its pretty standard on cars for a steady light to indicate a service code and a flashing light to indicate a more serious fault.

Steveohim

Ah ok, didn't know I will keep my eyes open for it

Steveohim

Update*
Swapped the coilpack from cylinder 4 to cylinder 3 erased codes took for a drive, started to misfire took a reading, still saying cylinder 4 with a flashing engine management light, what next? Injector is failing?

Carolyn

If you're up for it:  Swap injectors 3&4 and see what gives.  If it's the injector the fault should move.  If not, time for a compression check.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Steveohim

Quote from: "Carolyn"If you're up for it:  Swap injectors 3&4 and see what gives.  If it's the injector the fault should move.  If not, time for a compression check.

is there any how 2's for that? just looking through my service history and it appears cylinders 2&3 have had injectors replaced so I'm hoping its that or i think I'm going to be in trouble. would a faulty injector cause a flashing EML?

spit

Quote from: "Steveohim"is there any how 2's for that?

Not something I'd recommend if this is your first time at it. Older seals and seats get very brittle and petrol leaks are not pleasant. One for your garage friend maybe? In the right hands its no more than a 20 minute job.

Never encountered this giving a flashing CEL but I guess its possible. It may not be your answer but its sensible to find out or at least rule it out.

Steveohim

It's an intermittent misfire that only flashes when the misfire happens if any help?

Tags: