Yet another Induction kit idea......

Started by The Other Stu, May 23, 2016, 14:45

The Other Stu

Last night, my Son came round. We got talking about induction kits and he mentioned he has a K&N cone I can have.
I was looking at putting the Car Builder one in, but hey, gift horses and mouths etc.

I've ordered one of these - I'll need it anyway

I've read through about 10 threads about how people have done it.

Am I right in thinking, I need:
One of these

Some of these:

and one of these

And simply put it behind the battery? Or will I need some additional ducting?
Will a system like jr1mr2's setup cause me any problems like this:

Or should I go for an alloy surround like AndyM

It all seems far too simple!
No Longer Here

Wabbitkilla

MAF housing should have some veins in to make sure the air is being monitored by the maf accurately.
Recommend behind the battery with a heat-shield as long as it's not too restrictive.
Silicone needs approx 30 degree turn in it .... I'm struggling to remember the exact diameter of pipe.

I'm linking your thinking.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

The Other Stu

Thanks  s:) :) s:)

The chrome bit at the top is the spectre MAF tube that I think quite a few people have used (has to be ordered from the US though).
I'm hoping the MAF will fit straight on - Spectre say it's the correct one for the MR2.
No Longer Here

jvanzyl

Nice idea... . here's what I don't get though.

When you remove the back left quarter panel it's painfully obvious that air is coming in and going "past" the intake for the airpipe...

If you're going through the effort of making this, wouldnt it make sense to shove the intake right behind the actual side vent? That way you actually get the outside air hitting the intake directly?

The Other Stu

Quote from: "jvanzyl"Nice idea... . here's what I don't get though.

When you remove the back left quarter panel it's painfully obvious that air is coming in and going "past" the intake for the airpipe...

If you're going through the effort of making this, wouldnt it make sense to shove the intake right behind the actual side vent? That way you actually get the outside air hitting the intake directly?

actually, I'm not quite sure I get this now (I thought I did)

So what you're saying is to put it right at the back left, behind the wheel arch? I know others do this.
Surely, you can open up the vent to feed air straight onto the filter?
No Longer Here

jvanzyl

s:-D :-D s:-D  ok what I'm saying is that the default situation is the entrance to the air filter system is positioned about 30cm (I think) back from the side vent, not only that it's perpendicular to it! So you're relying on the engines ability to suck the air in at whatever temperature it's reached by that stage.

With your last pic, why not go the whole hog and keep the pipe going (along with the shiny scoop job) to right behind the left side air vent? That way you're getting outside air hitting it at whatever your vehicle speed is, and it'll be "fresh"?

I'm not talking about blocking up the entire side vent with your scoop thing - but either way, you'd get the Bernoulli effect with the air passing through to the engine so I'm sure it'll be fine...

Does that help?

Wabbitkilla

There was many a diacussion a few years back about this.

Basically the oem intake relies heavily on the intake vacuum generated by the engine.
It is pipes to just behind the send vent so that's where it gets its air. The side vent is not a high pressure area, though it does provide air for cooling and obviously the intake.

Ok so if you're going to "improve" the intake it's a valid area to take air from, and on the move it gets a reasonable supply of cool air without too much weather or debris. Quite a few of us have done this and the PPE intake is designed to fit here - it's been considered one of the best (and most expensive) intake kits available.

The AEM long intake takes air from the void behind the wheel arch liner to the rear of the nsr wheel .... this however suffers more danger from being submerged if you go through deep water or big puddles. And it's a looooong intake.

The Apexi intake takes air from the area vacated by the oem airbox with a big very efficient filter (same one used in the PPE) and has a heat shield. Unfortunately because it's only partly shrouded and doesn't suck air from the side vent then it suffers from heat soak ... hot engine bay air being taken in. It sounds great but loses you power on hot days.

The K&N 57i intake is similar to the Apexi, uses a heat barrier but suffers similar problems.

The ARC intake mimic the oem but with a better filter, it can be plumbed to the original side pod intake but generally people didn't do that ... a pity really since then it's suffering the same problems are the Apexi, and K&N.

Someone did some dyno testing and came to the conclusion the standard intake on an NA car actually does the best job, arguably a more expensive filter helps and the de-restriction of the TRD pipe or Markiii pipe encourages some nicer noises and slightly improved power.

They all make some nice noises ... I actually opted to use a Lotus Typhoon intake modified to fit the 2 .... sounds terrific but it's hard to get an unrestricted air flow from the side pod.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

The Other Stu

jvanzyl; Ah, that's originally what I thought you meant. Indeed, I don't want to block the vent, but you're right - I may make the silicon tube longer than those two pictures.

Wabbitkilla; do you have any pictures of yours? I don't think I've seen any (although my head is absolutely full of hundreds of posts)

Ultimately, I'm not looking for lots more power, I just find the stock noise a bit tame. On the flip side, I don't want to go to huge expense (and upset my neighbours) with a cobra exhaust!

I think this is a relatively easy thing to do myself, although I would also use the opportunity to clean the MAF and I think that might be slightly more difficult.
No Longer Here

Wabbitkilla

Sorry it's the Hurricane kit .... fully enclosed filter.

Linky to the shop

The Silicone is an addition 30 degree bend cut to the length needed for the install.

The Other Stu

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Sorry it's the Hurricane kit .... fully enclosed filter.

Linky to the shop

The Silicone is an addition 30 degree bend cut to the length needed for the install.
Ah, I did see that picture.

If I do go down the "car builder" one, I'll almost certainly do this.
Out of interest, what's the other type of pipe called?
No Longer Here

Mr X

FYI Tests with open air cone, home made shield and K&N Apollo:
http://mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=49667&sid=62eb9716c84d5b3eb5e7fbd5df263b04
I'm not saying I'm batman. I'm just saying that nobody has ever seen me and batman in a room together.

The Other Stu

Ah, great thread Mr X, thanks  s:) :) s:)

I was thinking that because it's on top of the side vent, it wouldn't get too warm, but it appears that it really does need more air, hence why you've put the additional venting tube in.

Perhaps going back to my original idea, might be more appropriate then? I'd rather avoid pops and crackles - as I said, I'm simply wanting a bit more noise - I don't want to compromise the engine or blow anything up.

The fake CDA box is the one from car builder

Where would I get the ducting? I don't want to use something that might melt!
No Longer Here

shnazzle

Just a fun fact to help in placement ideas...
The stock filter had a small tube that goes from the front of the air box into the left wing. You'd expect that's where the air goes from the vent.
It doesn't! There's a pipe in the left wing that leads to a hole just behind the battery.
So, behind the battery is by far the best place, if not the only good place.
...neutiquam erro.

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "shnazzle"Just a fun fact to help in placement ideas...
The stock filter had a small tube that goes from the front of the air box into the left wing. You'd expect that's where the air goes from the vent.
It doesn't! There's a pipe in the left wing that leads to a hole just behind the battery.
So, behind the battery is by far the best place, if not the only good place.

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Basically the oem intake relies heavily on the intake vacuum generated by the engine.
It is piped to just behind the side vent so that's where it gets its air. The side vent is not a high pressure area, though it does provide air for cooling and obviously the intake.
Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Ok so if you're going to "improve" the intake it's a valid area to take air from, and on the move it gets a reasonable supply of cool air without too much weather or debris.

As you say you want a bit nice noise then this is the place to get air from, and a big cone filter intake there gives you nice noise.
I've no experience of the CDA or its copies but I would think they will have the same effect positioned behind the battery.

shnazzle

Didn't realise that's what you meant.. Apologies.
...neutiquam erro.

The Other Stu

I've got a weird one on my OEM box.
Out of the side of it, there's a pipe that goes off, but is blanked off - effectively in a "U" shape. This seems absolutely bizarre. It appears to be designed like that, not an aftermarket modification.

I'd take a picture, but you'll know, you can't see anything!

I'll try and find a picture.
No Longer Here

Bernie

PPE install by FGrob on mine behind the battery !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

loadswine

Quote from: "Stu"I've got a weird one on my OEM box.
Out of the side of it, there's a pipe that goes off, but is blanked off - effectively in a "U" shape. This seems absolutely bizarre. It appears to be designed like that, not an aftermarket modification.

That little pipe is a Helmholtz resonator. Its designed to cancel out certain frequencies of sound. They can be incorporated in exhaust systems too, for cancelling out annoying frequencies that cause boominess.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

The Other Stu

Quote from: "loadswine"
Quote from: "Stu"I've got a weird one on my OEM box.

That little pipe is a Helmholtz resonator. Its designed to cancel out certain frequencies of sound. They can be incorporated in exhaust systems too, for cancelling out annoying frequencies that cause boominess.
well, thank you  s:) :) s:)  That's the kind of information I love too   s:D :D s:D  

Scurries off to Wikipedia to learn more......
No Longer Here

The Other Stu

OK, I nearly have all the bits now - the ASH piece came today. Have the jubilee clips and filter, just waiting for the Spectre part from the US.
According to Amazon, it'll be here by next Friday, 10th June.

Out of interest, how do you clean the inside of the MAF sensor? I did the outside and it made a world of difference!
No Longer Here

The Other Stu

The Spectre part came this morning. I'll put it together later.

It comes with all kinds of MAF adapters and gaskets. I think this might work!
No Longer Here

redcarblackhorse

Does anybody know what the internal Diameter is of the tube that fits onto the inlet manifold? I want to get a angled one off ebay.

Thank you
R.
1999 MR-S with a few tweaks!
Circuit de catalunya
24 Heures du Mans
Thruxton
Abingdon Track day

The Other Stu

I was really hoping I'd be able to tell you, but I can't.

Does anyone have a good idea how to remove the old pipe? It seems to be stuck absolutely solid. In addition, my brace is so tight, I'm worried I'm going snap my wrench so I'm working around it.

Hairdryer perhaps? I don't want to use my heat gun because I'm not really comfortable with that kind of heat around a petrol engine (although I suppose it gets very hot in that area anyway)

I've put the thing together, but I have a feeling that the ASH hose diameter is too thin - I bought the one that was suggested. Is there an adapter or something or can you simply put a jubilee clip around it?

To be fair, it's wet tonight and I got very wet just removing the MAF sensor and undoing the jubilee type clips around the hose.

Here's a picture. I've actually got the MAF sensor attached now too. It's all very tight, which is great.
No Longer Here

AndyM

If you fully loosen the wire clip on the pipe (till it nearly falls off) you should be able to squeeze the pipe together and lever it off the throttle body. The clip (even if you think it's loose enough) can catch the edge and make it a pain to move.
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

The Other Stu

Thanks Andy.
Depending on the weather, I'll have a go tomorrow after work.

There just appears to be absolutely no give at all - I would have expected it to at least move a little, even if it didn't come off.
No Longer Here

Tags: