2ZZ / Apexi FC

Started by Dougster7, June 18, 2016, 19:54

Dougster7

Ok so been lucky enough to get a Rogue conversion to 2zz and oh it is great  s:) :) s:)  what a transformation!! But could do with some advice that's probably stated somewhere on here already but to save time....the slight down power at 5500rpm before lift, does / can an Apexi FC reduce this so its a smoother transition into lift?
2ZZ by Rogue

mikek

I think I saw yours being finished when I dropped mine off. In fact Patrick showe'd me your cold air intake and I had to have one! So I reckon you should at least pay for half of it !!! Car looked great, just waiting to get mine back, hopefully this week. What's the biggest difference so far? (A bit off topic, sorry)
2zz by Rogue. Se7en cams. BMC CDA. Competion clutches lightened flywheel, Megillian Racing Exhaust. TRD sportivo suspension and ARB\'s. TRD braces. TRD quick shift. TRD dash kit, Matts brace. Getting there but not sure when it will stop!

mikek

Back on topic.....mine has se7en stage 2 cams in which are supposed to fill in the mid range gap (extra 25bhp around 4000rpm) if what I've read is correct. Will let you know when I get it back. Just out of interest what centred exhaust are you running?
2zz by Rogue. Se7en cams. BMC CDA. Competion clutches lightened flywheel, Megillian Racing Exhaust. TRD sportivo suspension and ARB\'s. TRD braces. TRD quick shift. TRD dash kit, Matts brace. Getting there but not sure when it will stop!

Dougster7

They did a great job on it and I'm chuffed to bits with it in every way! Completely different animal all together  s:) :) s:)  stil unsure about where the Apexi sits as so much talk about heat absorption but it goes like the clappers so very happy indeed. Matt did a great job on the exhaust decat pipe and the uprated manifold is well worth it. I'm running the Che exhaust with it and it sounds great, like a motorbike at high revs. I read often about there being not much difference until lift but I notice quite a bit of more power up through the gears and when lift kicks in.....big smiles....runs like a dream  s:) :) s:)  Matt mentioned here was one coming in with stage 2 cams and if it was my engine....you must be doubling over backwards waiting to get it back! Lol. That's a lot of extra power at 4K so please when you get it back let me know what you reckon to the cams....may be the next mod for me.....5 days after going 2zz!!! Who says power ain't addictive??!???
2ZZ by Rogue

mikek

My worries exactly. If I had more money he would have had a tte supercharger strapped to it before I had left! And your right, I can't wait to get it back.

J03

Stage 2 cams are the way to go, they completely fill out the pre-lift power dip.
Gives you a nice midrange power band to play with, which is very handy when exiting corners or for those times when you simply don't want to rev its nuts off.

Added bonus is the big cam burble you get at idle, sounds sweet!  s;) ;) s;)
The Silver Shed - 2zz Rotrex ........  viewtopic.php?f=88&t=53969

Dougster7

Quote from: "mikek"My worries exactly. If I had more money he would have had a tte supercharger strapped to it before I had left! And your right, I can't wait to get it back.

He was telling me about the silver turbo out in the yard about to get a supercharger on it...relatively easy install once you find a good one to use...I'm on that wavelength already  s:) :) s:)  You'll love it when you get it back, I get a nice explosion from the exhaust when I change gear once hit rev limiter...again....very addictive!!

So cams is what I need next then, can they run with the 190 ecu or would they need the Apexi FC?
2ZZ by Rogue

J03

The 190 ecu will run the cams ok.

mikek

I've been told the 190 ecu will be fine. Will find out soon!

inside

Cams mod sounds like a great idea. Anyone has first hand experience with it running stock ecu? Mikek, please report when you get it back  s;) ;) s;)

J03

I ran Se7en stg 2 cams on the stock Celi ecu for a few years without any issue. It takes around 50 miles or so for the idle to settle, but after that no problem.

Some people have been known to throw a CEL from time to time, which I think is mainly down to the lumpy low revs/idle burble confusing the ecu into throwing a misfire code.

They really are the best bang for buck engine mod for a 2zz. Just to reiterate though, there's no top end gain with these, it's all mid-range.

Dougster7

Good info, thanks JO3. Se7en are out of stock of the cams just now. Who fitted yours JO3? What other parts did you need...if you can remember?
2ZZ by Rogue

J03

Lee (Se7en) fitted the cams, no other parts needed. He checks valve clearances at the same time & re-shims if needed.

Best off calling him direct to check availability   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

inside

Good info. Is there any effect on the emissions?

inside

Also are there any comparable cams for fixing midrange output, e.g. Piper, MWR, ...?

alancsalt

I fitted a Power FC, and yes, it did improve the mid range considerably.
Toyota MR2 Spyder, November 2002, Engineer approved 2001 Celica 2ZZ motor and C60 trans, MWR Carbon lined synchro set, SMT to Manual conversion, PPE headers,Fabricated Cat/Exhaust, Power FC ECU

Tags: