Wiper motor

Started by Newbie57, June 24, 2016, 21:42

Newbie57

Fitted a replacement wiper motor today. The old one was very noisy and had started to clunk. Now I can't get them to park properly. They sit too high. The sweep is right and if I click the mist setting they will drop down and stop. Any ideas?

Topdownman

Not sure what you mean by drop down and stop but I would imagine you would have to take the arms off, operate the motor then put them back on in the right place on the windscreen so that they then are in the right place to start from?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Newbie57

I set the mechanism without the blades on, switched the motor on. Let it run then off to set park position. Then refitted the blades. so initially they were sitting in the right position and checked that the sweep across the screen. That's correct. When I go from full wipe to stop the blades stop high. If I flick up to mist a couple of times the blades will stop at the original set position low on the screen

Fin

Had a similar problem years ago on an old Vauxhall. It was the magnets on the rotor. Not overly helpful, I can't remember how I fixed it ... Got a feeling I ended up replacing the motor.
The Sun is out, the sky is blue,
The roof is down on my MR2,
And I\'m grinning, grinning ear to ear!

Newbie57

Risk of fitting a used part I guess. I was hoping I'd set something wrong

cabbydave

You have just set it up wrong

Newbie57

Ok give me a clue
Connected and set motor before fitting.  Fitted motor ran wipers. Then set blades in correct position. Blades wipe screen correctly but then stop I the wrong place. Only thing I can think is the crank is positioned wrongly but surely the wipers would work properly in on mode

Fin

Just a thought...
Did you check all the connectors were properly clean before you installed the new motor? I seem to remember something about weak current causing problems.
The Sun is out, the sky is blue,
The roof is down on my MR2,
And I\'m grinning, grinning ear to ear!

Tags: