EML

Started by chris goldson, June 26, 2016, 16:29

chris goldson

Quote from: "Jon_G"So you found a spacer... was it a 18mm thread like the eBay examples?

If this doesn't fix it, then it can sometimes be necessary to stuff wire wool into the spacer to further reduce sensor sensitivity.

Good luck with it, hope it'll stay OK.

Hi Jon

Fitted stainless spacer three weeks ago and trying not to speak too soon but light has not come back on after a lot of journeys and quite a few miles. Don't exactly know why fitting this should make a difference but hopefully if the light remains off then it has done its job. Goes just as well too so no problems there.

Also flushed it through with both injector cleaner and fuel line cleaner.

Thanks for your help.

Best Wishes

Chris

Jon_G

Quote from: "chris goldson"
Quote from: "Jon_G"So you found a spacer... was it a 18mm thread like the eBay examples?

If this doesn't fix it, then it can sometimes be necessary to stuff wire wool into the spacer to further reduce sensor sensitivity.

Good luck with it, hope it'll stay OK.

Hi Jon

Fitted stainless spacer three weeks ago and trying not to speak too soon but light has not come back on after a lot of journeys and quite a few miles. Don't exactly know why fitting this should make a difference but hopefully if the light remains off then it has done its job. Goes just as well too so no problems there.

Also flushed it through with both injector cleaner and fuel line cleaner.

Thanks for your help.

Best Wishes

Chris
I'm glad it's OK now but, as you say, it's only been 3 weeks...

I'm guessing that the new main cat is ineffective, hence the need to 'fool' the end lambda sensor. But in that case the pre-cats must be working sufficiently to help with keeping the emissions low enough for the MoT.

chris goldson

Thanks Jon yes time will tell !!

The pre cats have had their internals removed before I purchased the car so guess they can't be helping.

Best Wishes

Chris

Jon_G

Well that completely undermines my theory then!

Hope it stays OK...

chris goldson

Quote from: "Jon_G"Well that completely undermines my theory then!

Hope it stays OK...

Light still off and just put in my second tank full of petrol. Never gone this far without it coming on !!

Fingers crossed still !!!

Keith

I know that this has been some time, how's it going?  Is the EML back on or was the fix successful. I've exactly the same problem.  

What especially interests me is that this started after you had a new main cat fitted?  If so, who did you use for the replaement cat?   Other research seems to suggest some dodgy main cats about being supplied by some of the big exhaust companies.  I'd be interested in the details, thanks
2000, lagoon blue, hard top, precats removed, Dev\'s keyhole covers, K & N, breatplate.  Loving it even more I\'ve had the injectors cleaned!

Tags: