Does chipping still happen?

Started by andyno12, July 4, 2016, 22:26

andyno12

Does anyone have experience with unichip? What gains etc and is there a uk seller? Just after a bit more power without breaking the bank. Turbo next year I hope so something to fill the gap.

Anonymous

depends on what engine mods but you can be looking between 0 and 15 bhp on normal mods unless the engine mentally modded. personally wait until the turbo as it money better spent.

na tuning is expensive and dont release that much.

andyno12

Ok, would only be looking at exhaust/induction kit. Im new to the Roadster game

Ardent

As R BUck

Limited if any performance increase.
But can look and sound a whole lot better.

mrzwei

Before the advent of turbomania the Dastek unichip was the way to go. Members installed either a programmable one or a generic one with two maps. Dynos I think recorded an increase in mid range torque.
I installed a generic one and definitely got that increase but after a couple of drives you didn't notice it. I only noticed the difference again when I removed it to sell it. Not much 'bang for the buck' really. If you do it then you need to get it mapped for the car.
When I chipped the Saab turbo I got a massive performance increase.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

inside

In case you're interested, I'm selling a used piggy-back chip here:
http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=59410

I never had it installed so I cannot comment on any gains, but considering advertised should be around the same ballpark as other chips.

andyno12

Quote from: "inside"In case you're interested, I'm selling a used piggy-back chip here:
http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=59410

I never had it installed so I cannot comment on any gains, but considering advertised should be around the same ballpark as other chips.

I can't see that post yet. Could you pm me the details? I'm still looking into it and will let you know.
Thanks

shnazzle

Bear in mind the difference between "chipping" (box of resistors with little to no benefit) and a piggyback ECU.
The latter is programmable.
I run one, but as mrzwei said, it's of limited value. My piggyback has added wiring for injector and ignition control, mapped by a reputable place, and at the very very best it adds maybe 15hp.

I don't notice it, except for when I reset the ECU (the ecu learns its way around the piggyback in certain situations). And I'd notice it if it were off.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
...neutiquam erro.

Anonymous

Quote from: "shnazzle"Bear in mind the difference between "chipping" (box of resistors with little to no benefit) and a piggyback ECU.

+ 1

It has to be programmable or no point, also a programmable ecu / piggyback also has a possibility to aid the later turbo if selected well.

andyno12

Quote from: "shnazzle"Bear in mind the difference between "chipping" (box of resistors with little to no benefit) and a piggyback ECU.
I run one, but as mrzwei said, it's of limited value. My piggyback has added wiring for injector and ignition control, mapped by a reputable place, and at the very very best it adds maybe 15hp.

I don't notice it, except for when I reset the ECU (the ecu learns its way around the piggyback in certain situations). And I'd notice it if it were off.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info, may as well save the money and put it towards mods that will make a difference I think.

Tags: