Wet grip concerns

Started by McMr2, July 13, 2016, 20:07

cabbydave

Quote from: "Carolyn"
Quote from: "bernie11a"The problem I've seen over the years & so many getting wrecked is that so many drivers just don't appreciate the fact that in the wet it's a completely different driving style needed
So many coming from FWD just don't wind back the right foot hoon it as if it's dry & bin them, so sad to see so many that get totalled in this manner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally agree. Strong views on this one:  On a public road you are obligated to drive in accordance with conditions.  Hooning in the wet is plain bad driving.  'Binning it' could involve an innocent third party.  If your tyres are lousy in the wet they are not appropriate for UK driving.
The tyres should grip no matter what the weather is like. I  have had rear wheel drive cars for nearly 40  years and raced them so I know how to drive them. With driving all sorts of cars with all sorts of tyres on I  know you do get what you pay for.

McMr2

I feel I need to emphasize that my post was not about irresponsible driving or pushing a car beyond the limit on public roads. I'm new here and don't want a reputation...
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

shnazzle

Can't say I got that impression at all.
Quite the opposite.
Within "normal" driving these cars can still get you in trouble if set up wrong.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
...neutiquam erro.

Carolyn

Quote from: "shnazzle"Can't say I got that impression at all.
Quite the opposite.
Within "normal" driving these cars can still get you in trouble if set up wrong.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Agreed on that.  It does sound like there is something not right with this car.  Slowing down the traffic is not what you'd expect.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Smcknighty

I think we get lazy. It's easy to drive sloppily with hard braking hard accelerating hard direction changes in modern cars. Front wheel drive is very hard to get too wrong. Unconsciously the transition to driving the mr2 is way more consideration for surfaces and moisture, way more awareness of the effect of braking or accelerating or steering. It's more sensitive than a 'normal' car. After a while you get used to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moorx

[quote="MR TWOPersonally Toyo's are fine on my car and I have no problems in the wet. [/quote]

Not wanting to tempt fate, I agree.  I've had Toyos on mine for over a year now, have done (until very recently) 3-400 miles a week when using it as my daily, and have had no issues in the wet.  And we have had some VERY wet weather.

jeffsimply

It's all relative though. You might just drive a lot slower in general. I can tell you Pilot Sport 3s are infinitely better in the wet than T1Rs. They're not much more expensive either.

shnazzle

Helen (HereComesTheWife) made a very good decision to go for Uniroyal Rain Sport 3s on her SP240. They are absolutely fantastic in the wet. Absolutely shame any tyre I've ever tried in the wet. And they're quite decent in the dry as well, assuming you put a few more PSI in.
Can't tell what the feedback is like as it's on 17s and I find 17s weird to drive anyway.

But I'd heartily recommend the Uniroyals as they're cheap and very good, and seem almost perfectly suited to UK weather. I mean...look at this summer...
I'd never part with my AD08Rs, but in the back of my mind I know they're not the best tyres all round for this country.
...neutiquam erro.

McMr2

I did actually have Uniroyal rainsports suggested (after buying the toyos...) but struggled to find them in the correct size. I haven't helped by going up to 195 and 225 sections as I'd want to keep the stagger.
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

shnazzle

Quote from: "McMr2"I did actually have Uniroyal rainsports suggested (after buying the toyos...) but struggled to find them in the correct size. I haven't helped by going up to 195 and 225 sections as I'd want to keep the stagger.

Try finding the correct size in 17s...  The rears on Helens are too big. Scrape on hard corners. It'll be more forgiving on 16s. You can go up a size on the sidewall
...neutiquam erro.

PhilzMR2

I tried Toyos on my car and have to say I thought they were terrible.
Admittedly they weren't new, so that may have been part of the problem - they happened to be on a set of secondhand wheels that I bought.
When I bought the car it was on cheap, unheard of brands, but these actually worked better than the Toyos. To me, the Toyos were poor in both wet and dry conditions.
In the end, I reverted to the tyres that I used to buy for my V6 Alfas - Continental Contact Sport. These have totally transformed the car.

Alex Knight

Tyres tyres tyres tyres tyres.

IMHO, the only good thing about Toyo T1-Rs is the price.

I've used them on road and track, and they were guff.

I did try Bridgestone RE-002s on track in wet, cold conditions, and I have to say that they were downright scary. Oversteer everywhere.

I've since switched to AD08-Rs, and the difference is night and day. Amazing dry grip, and significantly better wet grip than the RE002s.

I wouldn't use another tyre for my car, unless upgrading to R888s.

I would say that the AD08R is the best all-round tyre for this car. Pricey, but in this case, you get what you pay for.

tricky1138

Quote from: "shnazzle"
Quote from: "McMr2"I did actually have Uniroyal rainsports suggested (after buying the toyos...) but struggled to find them in the correct size. I haven't helped by going up to 195 and 225 sections as I'd want to keep the stagger.

Try finding the correct size in 17s...  The rears on Helens are too big. Scrape on hard corners. It'll be more forgiving on 16s. You can go up a size on the sidewall

Impossible to find them in correct or similar sizes in 16's! And I really did try! I 100% would have gone with Rainsports if I could have got them in any suitable size!   s:( :( s:(
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

shnazzle

Quote from: "Alex Knight"Tyres tyres tyres tyres tyres.

IMHO, the only good thing about Toyo T1-Rs is the price.

I've used them on road and track, and they were guff.

I did try Bridgestone RE-002s on track in wet, cold conditions, and I have to say that they were downright scary. Oversteer everywhere.

I've since switched to AD08-Rs, and the difference is night and day. Amazing dry grip, and significantly better wet grip than the RE002s.

I wouldn't use another tyre for my car, unless upgrading to R888s.

I would say that the AD08R is the best all-round tyre for this car. Pricey, but in this case, you get what you pay for.

+1 ..word.

Checked my front tyres yesterday. One of them has just hit the wear indicator. The other is ok. Stupid roundabouts  s:) :) s:)  I've replaced the rears in the meantime but the fronts have been on there for at least  23k miles now. Not bad for a "fast wearing" tyre. And it's not like it hasn't seen some abuse. Not track, but for those who think it might be too pricey as a daily...think again.
...neutiquam erro.

Ardent

++1

mikek

+++1

Except when there is water lying on the road then it's like a skiming  stone and very scary!
2zz by Rogue. Se7en cams. BMC CDA. Competion clutches lightened flywheel, Megillian Racing Exhaust. TRD sportivo suspension and ARB\'s. TRD braces. TRD quick shift. TRD dash kit, Matts brace. Getting there but not sure when it will stop!

Carolyn

Ah.  Standing water!  You've got a very light car with a lot of rubber and good weight distribution.  Recipe for aquaplaning.  Front wheel-drive cars have all the weight over the front and the drive there too.  Less chance of aquaplaning.
See Formula 1.  Once there's serious standing water, they stop the race.  They can run on a wet track but they'll take off on standing water.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Tags: