Cleaning products review

Started by MR Roadie 2, August 5, 2016, 21:59

shnazzle

I prefer the mitt. I used the Bilt Hamber bars before (in two levels of hardness), and a g3 clay bar. Frankly, I find them a pain. Have to kneed them to death before they're pliable, soft and warm.

The g3 mitt is just ready to go straight away.
The only pro is that with the clay, you can see what you're pulling off. The "clay" on the mit is black, so you can't see.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
...neutiquam erro.

Ardent

bilt hamber clay bar for me.
Not found it an issue.
Not used a clay mitt so cannot compare.

dgreaves

I was at one of my club's classic car shows today and in particular a a black A40 farina stood out shiny as a shilling on a sweep's bum I asked the owner how he got the shine and it turns out he uses Swissvax "best in show polish"  only £59 for a 50 ml tub goes a long way he said  it would have to be a lifetime for me I said.

Dave Greaves

MR Roadie 2

Had my wheels off today to adjust my preload on my coilovers, different story, but while they were off I gave them a good clean down. I then waxed the wheels with one my new tries, Angelwax bilberry wheel wax.
I am interested to see if this should help keep my wheels cleaner and make it easier to remove dirt when cleaning them.
The down side for me is the wax is red which is easier the notice on silver wheels when buffing, but my wheels are black.   s:? :? s:?
2000 silver, Red leather seats, A/C.
Mods so far- 2005 Engine, Hankook tyres, Goodridge braided lines, EBC Greenstuff, Matt Performance brace, FL front brace, Yellowspeed coilovers, Custom quad exhaust + toyo manifold, markiii pipe, K&N Panel filter, TRD side skirts, rear spats, rear spoiler.

2006 Silver SP240 Turbo, red & black seats & red/black steering wheel, hardtop, ac, Halo DRL/Fog lights,

The Other Stu

Have the soft Bilt Hamber clay bar.

Also have a Meguiars one, but it's far too hard and fiddly. The BH one far easier to use.

My particular polishing product of choice is surprisingly a controversial one. I like T-Cut Metallic. I found the Meguiars one was a bit carp if I'm honest - it was hard work and didn't actually appear to achieve very much.
Otherwise, I'm also a fan of Autoglym, Meguiars Gold Wash and my usual is actually the Aldi Carnauba Wash and Wax which scares me quite how good it is!
No Longer Here

shnazzle

Posted a video of cleaning tip on the ROC YouTube.
 m https://youtu.be/if7TcpGwqgc m

...neutiquam erro.

The Other Stu

Quote from: "shnazzle"Dodo juice makes some really good products. If I had to replace everything with dodo juice products I'd be very happy to do so

OK, so I have treated myself to a Dodo Juice DA polisher.

Comes without pads.

Will I need to buy one of each? Cutting pad, polishing pad and finishing pad?
No Longer Here

MR Roadie 2

Quote from: "The Other Stu"
Quote from: "shnazzle"Dodo juice makes some really good products. If I had to replace everything with dodo juice products I'd be very happy to do so

Comes without pads.

I would think so. I can see you wanting use one pad for compounding and finishing.
What you hiring rate for the DA polisher?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Mods so far- 2005 Engine, Hankook tyres, Goodridge braided lines, EBC Greenstuff, Matt Performance brace, FL front brace, Yellowspeed coilovers, Custom quad exhaust + toyo manifold, markiii pipe, K&N Panel filter, TRD side skirts, rear spats, rear spoiler.

2006 Silver SP240 Turbo, red & black seats & red/black steering wheel, hardtop, ac, Halo DRL/Fog lights,

The Other Stu

Quote from: "MR Roadie 2"
Quote from: "The Other Stu"

Comes without pads.

I would think so. I can see you wanting use one pad for compounding and finishing.
What you hiring rate for the DA polisher?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
To you? Free if we can ever arrange something!
No Longer Here

MR Roadie 2

To you? Free if we can ever arrange something![/quote]

Tell me about it! its still sitting here. I think we need to arrange a special delivery.

wotugonado

Purple Haze   s8) 8) s8)   best I've tried......

I'm obviously talking about dodo juice wax, great for dark coloured cars   s:) :) s:)
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

shnazzle

You know what stuff I really liked... CodeClean   s:) :) s:)  Cheap eBay crap haha.
It lasted no time, it was cheap, offered no real protection, but it was so easy to apply and beaded nicely and made it feel so smooooth

...neutiquam erro.

MR Roadie 2

Guess what I am going to be trying out?   s:D :D s:D  

Sorry Shnazzle, but the curiosity got to me. Plus it came with a air freshener  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  .

shnazzle

haha! Nice. Dare I ask how much that beautiful looking kit set you back?
...neutiquam erro.

jvanzyl

ooooh FREE bag!! with handy carry strap!

MR Roadie 2

Quote from: "jvanzyl"ooooh FREE bag!! with handy carry strap!

Not just any bag! a bag that fits in luggage compartment behind the seats  s:D :D s:D  . Imaging them thinking of us with our 2's when they made the bags.

Essex2Visuvesi

Did that come as a set? if so where did you get it from?

MR Roadie 2

Quote from: "Essex2Visuvesi"Did that come as a set? if so where did you get it from?

Yes, A set with 8 bottles of my choice, clay bar, guardian wax (6months lifespan once applied), wheel wax, bag, clothes, application pads, air freshener  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   (I have to laugh, my car was parked outside with the roof down) & a free sample tub of AG wax for silver metallic paint.
I dropped into the Angelwax factory/laboratory in Renfrew near Glasgow.
Google and youtube, Angelwax. The products get good write-ups.

MR Roadie 2

Had my first chance to use my Angelwax product.

I put the Bilberry wheel wax on a couple of weeks ago and I think the wheel wax is great. The brake dust comes of the wheels much easier than before. I don't need to give the wheels extra brushing or rubbing down of the wheels.
Used the Angelwax clay bar. I have never used a Clay bar and did not know what to expect. I was surprised to see the contaminants that came off my car. I thought my car was pretty clean.
I then waxed my car with the Angelwax AG for silver cars. When I was waxing my car I though the AG was not as good as I was hoping for. The AG wax did not cover up or blend out minor swirls in the paint as well as I hoped. However the AG wax did help camouflage stone chips.
The AG did however make the flakes in my paint pop out and my neighbours commented to me but the shine off my car. One neighbour thought the car had been painted.
However wear gloves when using the AG wax, unless you want hand like the tin man.

After applying the AG wax I then waxed the car with Angelwax guardian. This wax is their endurance wax with  a 6 to 8 month life expectancy.
This wax beads well, similar beading to the Armor all shield I have used before.
I bought the guardian wax in the hope of not needing to wax my car to often during the winter. So only time will tell how good this wax is. The wax does smell good. Feels weird saying this but I think it has a coconut smell to it.
Both waxes were easy to apply and buff back off. As advised, only use small amounts when applying. This is makes the buffing easier.
The car feels smooth to the touch, unlike the Armor all shield where your fingers would grip onto the paint. I think the Armor all is a synthetic wax.
I believe Angelwax do a couple of wax which will give a deep gloss shine to the car, might try a small pot of Fifth element wax next summer.
So far I am happy my choice and I still have a few things in the bag to try.  s:D :D s:D

shnazzle

Sounds  a mixed bag so far.

Waxes aren't there to mask paint imperfections. You need specific products with fillers to do that, like AG SRP. A lot of glazes also do.

Waxes give the shine, so makes sense with what you said that it brought out the flakes. It also tends to bring out depth of colour.
Sealants is where it's at for protection. Waxes are temporary.
The slick feeling makes me think they use synthetics. If you use a bottle of eBay special "ptfe" or "Teflon" sealants or waxes, you'll notice the same.
It's great for shows and temporary.
The problem is, teflon needs intense temperatures to bond to a surface. If you think of it logically, what is teflon used for?.. To stop things sticking to it. So, what will it never do?.. Stick to things.

Looking forward to the long term review. Wonder how the mix of carnauba and synthetics works out

...neutiquam erro.

MR Roadie 2

Got to use some new products from Angelwax last night.
I bought the fastfoam and billberry wheel cleaner for Angelwax during there black Friday but never had time to try out the fastfoam as my pressure washer was away for repair.

Both products are the best products I have used on my car and van, so far.
The wheel cleaner did not remove the baked in dirt at the back of the wheel, however I only applied the wheel cleaner and left it for 2mins before washing of with the pressure washer. No elbow grease used.

The fastfoam was great and sticks to the car and van for a long time. I find Valet Pro PH runs of the car within a minute, but the fast foam would be hanging on. I waited for about 5mins (went and made a coffee   s:) :) s:)  ) before vehicle's were given some elbow grease with some of the foam that was still stuck on.
To apply this onto my medium size Transit van and car used half off my lancing bottle. Some time I need a full lance bottle of Valet Pro PH just to wash my van.

In my opinion Billberry wheel cleaner 9 /10 and Fastfoam 9.5/10. Better than Demon wheel cleaner and Valet Pro PH.

shnazzle

well going to have to try some now! And what a coincidence...I'm all out of product  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

MR Roadie 2

Meant to say, I also got Angelwax H2O repellant. It appear better than rainX. I'll do a proper test with half the windscreen with rainX and half with Angelwax H2O. Then review.

MR Roadie 2

Managed to apply Angelwax (AW) H2GO repellent and RainX onto each side of my van windscreen last night.

First impression when getting into my van this morning was the AW H2GO had smaller beads and that side of the screen was clearer.
Once moving through town at 30mph the AW H2GO started to work well and the rain was quickly clearing off my windscreen, even at speed just above 20mph (the high winds might have helped this).
Once onto A roads the Rainx started to work once I was travelling at 50mph, while the AW H2GO was still clearing rain of my windscreen better than the Rainx.
On the dual carriage way and upto 60mph, for a short time due to the high winds and heavy rain. The RainX was improving but did not clear the rain of the windscreen as well as the AW H2GO.
I did manage to travel to my work (11miles) without using the windscreen wipers. I am glad the AW H2GO was on the drivers side of the windscreen.

I have always bought RainX and I did like it. Although I did always think at low speeds RainX was poor. I always thought RainX worked best at 50mph and greater.

For me the AW H2GO is a clear   s:D :D s:D   Winner. This product starts clearing the rain off the windscreen at 30mph and the water beads are far smaller.

Anybody want to buy 500ml of Rainx off me? Has been opened, the money will go toward more AW H2O for me.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Found this link, which I think backs up my review.  m https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrhT_BTQrNg m

MR Roadie 2

So like most I have been busy over the festive season.
My car has not been heavily used since early September when I waxed the car (approximately 1000 miles).
My pressure washer also broke down and took me a couple of months to repair. Therefore my car has only been washed about 4 times since I waxed the car back in early September.
On passing my car today I took this picture. I personally think the wax I applied in September is working well.

Tags: