Blown engine - please help

Started by Anonymous, January 12, 2005, 14:58

loadswine

s:( :( s:(  This engine thing has me worried too. I am thinking about getting my engine rebuilt before it blows . It is on a 2000 MY car with 33k on clock,regularly serviced,but uses 1litre of oil every 800-1000 miles.
I've not taken the precats out yet as I was snookered by a burred off nut on cat junction.
Or, does anyone think that a better route would be to have the engine redone with the kit from Monkey wrench racing.This does give the engine new liners for the block which has been mentioned as a possible weakness.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

QuoteI've not taken the precats out yet as I was snookered by a burred off nut on cat junction.
Had the same trouble. Those are self-locking nuts, so they will resist removal. In my case, the way through the problem was to extract the stud along with the nut, as the stud unscrews. Then you replace all studs and nuts with new ones.

There are several ways to get a rounded nut off. Here's what I did:

1. Car up on lift.
2. Apply torch to nut-and-stud combo, heat to glowing red.
3. Hammer next-size-down socket onto nut with an extender. Allow for slight cooling.
4. Extract unit with breaker bar.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "jonboy"i was lucky that i managed to get a complete new one for half price as it had fallen off the delivery lorry and bent one of the mounting points on the block.
Even Toyota sell gear that's fallen of a back of a lorry eh  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

lucky for me they did as nobody at the time had any second hand engines for me to buy.  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Well guys, thanks for you all taking the time to reply.  You've probably confirmed what I already knew - that I'm on a loser with Toyota.  But as you all seem to know your stuff I thought I'd give it a go to see if anyone had had the same problem and what they did about it.  A number of people have suggested getting an engine from a breaker (plus a couple of other suggestions....   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ) so, looks like that's my only option.  Trouble is, the cheapest quote I've had is £1400 - add on £4-500 for fitting and it's still going to cost me about £2k.  Which I don't have. Or an MR2.   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Thanks again

markiii

a bit steep that

several things to bear in mind when getting teh price.

1. You don't need an ECU yours will be fine.
2. You don't need a new manifold, just gut the cats and reuse yours.
3. The 1zz from a celica will fit straight in, (that gives you way more choice of donor vehicles.)
4. The 1zz from teh corolla can be used if your mechanic is comfortable with tapping 3 mounting holes on it's block.
5. Have a chat with JAPPGT300 and see if he can import you a rear clip (just the back half with teh engine) from Japan.

hope that helps.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tags: