4.5k rev limit

Started by andy bird, August 13, 2016, 17:57

andy bird

Any idea guys and girls following my engine swap what would cause a 4.5k rev limit. It literally hits it like a proper limiter?  

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

stupink

No fault codes?   is there not a 4.5k limiter when the engines cold on these?? ( I only pushed once when cold) so possibly coolant temp sensor or something?

i'd be surprised if its limiting without a code though, get a reader plugged in  s:) :) s:)
2001 1ZZ turbo. 293hp home build all the way

andy bird

It brought up a code  stupidly I didn't write it down but I cleared it!

I deleted the carbon canister. Plugged the lines but didn't plug the solenoid in that sits on the intake pipe so maybe that was it. It's plugged in now.

Will they only rev 4.5k in neutral?

stupink

No they have no gear selection switch as far as i know, not on the manual anyway, or is yours SMT?? so should hit the limiter once up to temp.   and yes if you have the solenoid unplugged it will bring up a code..

i'd personally plug the obd2 in, and check the coolant temp, make sure its gone up to temperature..  if it is, have a look what other live data you can see on your device, and check its all looking "normal", air flow, RPM , i'd ignore throttle position as its usually wonky anyway,

frogger

For clarity, in case this thread is referenced by people in the future trying to fault find:-

- There is no different rev limit when cold.
- It will rev to the full rev limiter at any time/temp if all is well.
- If you have a sensor unplugged or a faulty sensor (e.g. MAF) then a lower rev limit may kick in to protect the engine, such as this 4.5k limit.

It sounds like this was the case in this thread.

They will also rev to full limiter in neutral. They aren't auto boxes (even the SMT is a manual box but with elec. shifters), so don't need to be 'protected' in neutral.

stupink

Mine must have been misfires then due to having colder plugs in to run my turbo... as it really felt like it hit a limiter.. and/or perhaps my Emanage did that not the standard ecu..

Carolyn

Are you sure your cat is not partially blocked?
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

andy bird

I'll check that but it wasn't when I took it off

andy bird

So run it up to temperature again today with the carbon canister solenoid plugged in. No Eml but when I rev to 4.5k it hits a hard rev limiter not like it can't rev past it but physically won't as it's on the limiter. Eml flickers sometimes on the limiter as well.

Seems like a forced rev limit as opposed to a blocked cat as I am guessing a blocked cat couldn't manifest itself as a hard rev limit but a lack of ability to rev

Anonymous

Flashing elm is multiple missfire. By the sounds of check the crank sensor earth is connected

andy bird

It's misfiring because it's hitting the limiter. I am pretty sure all the earth's are attached.

Anonymous

Never known a limp home mode on it so some serious is going on and I would guess it don't know the crank position. If not water temp or maf are the only other bits but I really would look at that sensor first

Wabbitkilla

Crank position sensor or its earth, take it out and give it a darned good clean up, make sure that earth is good
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

andy bird

I'll check that again tonight. Do you know where about it earth's to the chassis?  I pulled the engine complete with loom so it should all be there and maybe just one earth I've missed

andy bird

Presume I'll get to the sensor from underneath?  Is it at the bottom at the back of the engine (closest to passenger compartment?)?

Anonymous

Pulley side at the bottom on end

Tags: