MAF mod - any advice for changing injectors.

Started by Wilky1974, August 19, 2016, 20:46

Wilky1974

Hi everyone,

So I've spent this months car allowance on a full MAF mod kit from another member. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice before I fit this. Particularly around changing the fuel injectors. Is this a straightforward job? Has anyone tried this mod before? I've read some good reports on Spyderchat.com. Are there any supporting mods I should consider. So far the car is pretty standard. It's a 2004 FL with 85K on the clock. I've only owned the car for a year and it's a weekend warrior. It's had new oil, plugs, air filter, Markii pipe,decat manifold, timing chain tensioner and new tyres and brakes all round ( discs, pads and fluid ).

Any advice or comments would be appreciated,

Cheers,

Paul.

shnazzle

Biggest tip is, do not pull the injectors out, wiggle them out.

Oh, and pull the injectors fuse before you do it so that it depressurises the fuel line. Otherwise you get a little spritz when you undo the two bolts that hols the rail down  s:) :) s:)  

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
...neutiquam erro.

Wilky1974

Quote from: "shnazzle"Biggest tip is, do not pull the injectors out, wiggle them out.

Oh, and pull the injectors fuse before you do it so that it depressurises the fuel line. Otherwise you get a little spritz when you undo the two bolts that hols the rail down  s:) :) s:)  

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Thanks - that's great. When you mention the fuse, is their actually a fuse for the injectors or just for the fuel pump? I was thinking of pulling the fuel pump fuse out whilst car was running until it stalls?

wotugonado

I just disconnected the battery as the fuse is awkward to get to. Then I just unscrewed the petrol filler cap to depressurise the system. Still have some rag on hand for the drips.
It's also possible to do without disconnecting the rail from the fuel line if you don't have a disconnection tool to undo the clip.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

Wilky1974

Quote from: "wotugonado"I just disconnected the battery as the fuse is awkward to get to. Then I just unscrewed the petrol filler cap to depressurise the system. Still have some rag on hand for the drips.
It's also possible to do without disconnecting the rail from the fuel line if you don't have a disconnection tool to undo the clip.

.... thanks  s:) :) s:) . I don't have a disconnection tool but read on Spyderchat that it's easy to fabricate one. I have no idea what I am dealing with yet. I just hope I haven't taken on too much with this!  s:( :( s:(

wotugonado

I managed it no problems when I sent mine off for cleaning and im definitely no mechanic, i didn't bother disconnecting the fuel line though, i just unclipped all the cables around it and you have enough room to manoeuvre it out. A little oil on the o rings on refitting helps to.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

Wilky1974

Thanks guys. Looking forward to getting this done now.

Thetroublemaker

Its really easy to do.

No need to pull the fuel line just unclip the loom where it attaches and theres plenty of room.

All i would say is on refitting fit the injectors into the head first then the rail to the injectors. I tried it the other way and got a fuel leak.

Other than that its easy peasy.

Wilky1974

Quote from: "Thetroublemaker"Its really easy to do.

No need to pull the fuel line just unclip the loom where it attaches and theres plenty of room.

All i would say is on refitting fit the injectors into the head first then the rail to the injectors. I tried it the other way and got a fuel leak.

Other than that its easy peasy.

Thanks mate, was hoping to do this without removing the fuel line if I could  s:) :) s:) .

jvanzyl

OK so a couple of things here:
 - obviously you'll be taking the rear strut brace off, remember when re-tightening, that the bolts are old and that they can strip, so you're only looking to tighten to about 30-35 Nm. Basically tight, but not overly.
 - Keep a rag handy for any fuel that comes out
 - Grease! when putting everything back together, be sure to apply a bit of grease to the O-rings and the insulators as that'll help them all go back together nicely.
 - When taking things apart, I found it very useful to make a small narrow bendy pipe attachment for the vacuum cleaner so that I could vacuum out all the gunk that had accumulated down by the injectors. Also sprayed lots of carb cleaner down there.
 - Don't forget to remove the Air dam from your airbox!  :-) :-) :-)
 - As viewing angles are awkward, I'd suggest using your mobile phone camera with the light on so you can video round the corner whilst dropping the injector into place... so make sure you're fully charged before starting!

It's all going in the post at lunchtime today!

Tags: