1st Attempt at refurbing some PFL wheels

Started by HFB, August 22, 2016, 17:18

HFB

Not perfect, but quite happy for a first attempt   s:) :) s:)  

Used a kit from Amazon that provided sandpaper (no enough), filing tools, repair putty and gloves (not used and of em) and 1 can of etch primer, silver paint and lacquer which just about covered all 4 wheels.

As said earlier, not a wow finish (If I'd have paid money for them, I'd be sending them back for a re-do, but for £25 and a couple of weekends and odd evening (probably about 8-9 hours overall) I'm quite happy to be chucking them on the car as the tidy wheels for the road (although I will no doubt have a bash at the track wheels too now, just beacause   s:D :D s:D   - thinking of going black with them.....not sure).

Anyway.......gone from this

To This........   s:D :D s:D  

HFB
2000 Roadster
Silver (Blue go faster stripe)
2ZZ, Miester Zeta CRD+ Coilovers, Megillian Custom Exhaust & Underbody Brace and 1/2 cage (and working soft top), Patrick Chambers Enclosed air intake and oil cooler, badly re-furbed alloys :D

Topdownman

They look much better, good value for money at that price too.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

vx220

Looking good, but before I get my £25 out, can we see pics of your fingertips please?

Essex2Visuvesi

Quote from: "vx220"Looking good, but before I get my £25 out, can we see pics of your fingertips please?

shnazzle

Impressive work! My turn next  s:) :) s:)  

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
...neutiquam erro.

Jrichards20

Quote from: "Essex2Visuvesi"
Quote from: "vx220"Looking good, but before I get my £25 out, can we see pics of your fingertips please?

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

HFB

Brilliant one Essex.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
2000 Roadster
2ZZ, Miester Zeta CRD+ Coilovers, Megillian Custom Exhaust & Underbody Brace and 1/2 cage (and working soft top), Patrick Chambers Enclosed air intake and oil cooler, badly re-furbed alloys :D

Essex2Visuvesi

Quote from: "HFB"Brilliant one Essex.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Having done a set of wheels before I know exactly how your hands must be feeling

HFB

I obviously should have sanded them more, because my fingers didn't feel too bad!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Had one scuffed finger on the front knuckle on first day of sanding the first wheel, but once got into the swing of it.......with a wire brush on drill connection to remove bulk of paint flakes and bubbles first, actually found the sanding down bit quite theraputic.

Deffo going to have a bash at my track wheels too and am giving serious thought to playing with different colours down the line using plasti dip sprays.

HFB
2000 Roadster

puma2

i be well pleased with them however much skin and blood was lost in the process   s:D :D s:D  
cant wait  to what your other plans  turn out on your other set of wheels  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:    s8) 8) s8)

insx

Do you have to get the tyres off?

Joesson

Never repainted alloy wheels, but did see an article about masking using playing cards inserted between rim and tyre.

ancient mariner

Good result.

Topdownman

I tried the playing card masking on my ibiza wheels;

It was probably not so easy to spray the outside edge of the wheel by the tyre as you cant get the spray can quite so low as if you had masked it.

You dont need to take off the tyre to do this.

(The cards arent so easy to shuffle afterwards though).
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Essex2Visuvesi

Prepwise these are pretty handy:-

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251262546488 m

Tags: