Goodridge Braided Line Problem

Started by Rockingdad, August 29, 2016, 19:07

Rockingdad

Evening everyone,

I recently fitted the braided lines from the group buy on the car and when fitting the rears they refused to follow the same curve line as the old rubber lines. Instead of being to the side, the line wanted to bend forward. I tried rotating the mount to the hard line through 180 degrees and the same with the banjo (although this clearly couldn't be fitted this way I just wanted to see if it removed the bend from the wrong direction.

In any case all fitted up and feeling behind the tyre there was some clearance. Driven about 50 miles, then for another reason took one of the rear wheels off and the clear (rubber?) outer coating has been rubbed off. Has anybody else experienced this issue with these lines or found how to resolve it?

I'm going to try and speak with someone at Goodridge tomorrow to see what they say. The rear lines weren't marked left / right, and laid side by side were identical to me.

This, coupled with the whole brake strip down and rebuild over the last couple of weeks....I've had it up to here!   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

Rockingdad
2005 1E7 Silver with some mods.
MR2 How to vids and other cool content here:
www.youtube.com/Daddiaries

Tomo70

I had the problem on drivers side rear. Realised after I put it on wrong way.  s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:
🚘Just a pass time to break the monotony

Rockingdad

in what way did you put it on the wrong way?

shnazzle

Watching this, as this is all helpful feedback to Goodridge

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
...neutiquam erro.

Rockingdad

I'll let you know how i get on with them tomorrow. I have already contacted them via their web form some time ago regarding the bend issue and never got a response so that's pretty disappointing.

RockingDad

Tomo70

Got the loop wrong, so it was looped toward the coil spring.

Rockingdad

Just rang goodridge. They don't know immediately why this has happened and want the rear lines back to inspect them... Which leaves me without a car while they do that and react accordingly. There was no mention from them of left/right fitting bias or anything like that (and nothing mentioned in the kit) although he did day that with the tolerances being as they are they would only need to be five degrees out when manufactured and wouldn't fit properly.

Foolishly thinking there wouldn't be a problem when I fitted them I chucked the originals. Superb. Better buy some more fluid as well then.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

shnazzle

I know Stewart@Boro had similar "issues" where it looked like it was going to rub. This is slightly ironic as Goodridge became the line of choice because HELs were rubbing and didn't fit correctly.

Sorry to hear you've had issues. I suspect it is your specific lines as 30+ members are now running the Goodridges without issues.
Having said that, I've been running my HELs for years now without issues.

Keep us posted. If Helen had done her lines I'd send you hers to tie you over.
...neutiquam erro.

Rockingdad

Cheers fella. I agree I don't think its an intrinsic design flaw... I just think there is something wrong with mine. He said that they have had three sets returned for the MK3 but couldn't tell the reasons why. It could be mine are too short or there is a rotation on the mounts when made, Who knows! If however any others have had the curve of the line towards the wheel rather than flat with the inner arch, I would suggest they have a quick check. When I feel behind the wheel there is some (although very little) clearance but they were rubbing on the tyre when driving.

Rockingdad

Here's a pic of one of them

shnazzle

yeah that doesn't look right.

There is a difference between front and rear historically. It's minor, but it's there
...neutiquam erro.

Rockingdad

Yeah the main difference I found between the front and rear was the angle of bend on the metal pipe section from the banjo joint

shnazzle

Quote from: "Rockingdad"Yeah the main difference I found between the front and rear was the angle of bend on the metal pipe section from the banjo joint

Correct. That's the difference. So if you saw that, then it's definitely a bad delivery on your particular lines  s:( :( s:(
Sorry. That's an absolute pain! Hopefully they can ship a new set quickly
...neutiquam erro.

Rockingdad

Quick update, checked the royal mail signed for tracking today....stated returning to sender as addressee has 'gone away'. EH? got a phone number for Goodridge (not the web listed customer service number I spoke to last time) and spoke to the guy who actually dealt with the group buy (nice chap) who states I don't know why they gave you that address (the one on the invoice) we moved from there three months ago!. To say i'm F'd off is an understatement, not his fault but I'm now waiting for Royal Mail to get them back, however long that will take, then another fiver to get them to Goodridge (again) and then a minimum five day turnaround if they send out new lines (Which i hope they are as they ones I've sent or F'ing useless).

I asked him why did they confirm that address....he states 'I don't know, the web team were at the opening day when we moved'...brilliant.

Won't be going to the track day in the MR at Dunsfold this Friday then!

shnazzle

s:( :( s:(  THat's really crap. And the first negative experience with Goodridge. Sorry to hear that things have gone belly up for your set. A bit messy!
Are they not providing any good will for sending you the wrong return address?
...neutiquam erro.

Rockingdad

No. I would have thought they may just send out a new set of rears given that they have proof of order etc.

Tomo70

Have you sent all 4 brake lines back to Goodrich. I think I have some spare rears if you want to get the car back on the road.

shnazzle

Surely cabbydave can come to the rescue here

...neutiquam erro.

Rockingdad

I've only sent the rears....fronts are fitted and OK  s:) :) s:)  getting the car back on the road would be great.... I've got everything now I need except the lines. Is it OK to mix the braided with non braided? Does it make a difference ?

mattbrown82

Just to add to this, I've been through 2 sets of goodridge hoses on the back of my mr2. Ended up going back to rubber hoses at the rear.
[size=85]00 silver
01 Blue 2zz - sold
03 Sable - sold[/size]

shnazzle

I wonder how many people, other than Tom, have gone through HEL lines. Granted Tom admitted it was due to his wheel size.

...neutiquam erro.

stewart@boro

Quote from: "shnazzle"I know Stewart@Boro had similar "issues" where it looked like it was going to rub. This is slightly ironic as Goodridge became the line of choice because HELs were rubbing and didn't fit correctly.

Sorry to hear you've had issues. I suspect it is your specific lines as 30+ members are now running the Goodridges without issues.
Having said that, I've been running my HELs for years now without issues.

Keep us posted. If Helen had done her lines I'd send you hers to tie you over.

I think the experience of this made me think there is a left and a right fit as swapped them round and it was better. Have had new discs & pads since and done 3k miles. Had the whole set up inspected a couple of weeks ago and everything was fine.
TF 160 TTE exhaust and style bar and other shiny bits.
Replaced by an Abarth 124 Spider

Rockingdad

I'll double check this when I hopefully get a new pair of rears back. If not I'll be going back to rubber on the rears....if there is one thing I take zero risks with its the brakes!

cabbydave

If you need a pair of rears I can send you a couple

shnazzle

Quote from: "cabbydave"If you need a pair of rears I can send you a couple

Dave's the MAN!
...neutiquam erro.

Tags: