My first post ...... another pre-cat death in the family

Started by Anonymous, January 14, 2005, 17:08

Anonymous

just to clarify, what would be the symptoms of pre cat failure? as my car has had a serious loss of power the past week, taken it to my dealer, and they can't find anything wrong, it's burning oil like a it's going out of fashion, and can't get it over 95 on the motorway.  only for toyota to have it all day today to tell me there's nothing wrong with it! and after reading several pre cat type threads, i'm beginning to think i've found my problem

GSB

Quote from: "doony"just to clarify, what would be the symptoms of pre cat failure? as my car has had a serious loss of power the past week, taken it to my dealer, and they can't find anything wrong, it's burning oil like a it's going out of fashion, and can't get it over 95 on the motorway.  only for toyota to have it all day today to tell me there's nothing wrong with it! and after reading several pre cat type threads, i'm beginning to think i've found my problem

You just answered your own question. Take it to the dealer, tell them to look in the exhaust system, and to order a new engine, manifold and cat...

Sorry... Oh, and welcome...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Bad luck and WELCOME!

Anonymous

s:D :D s:D   ho hum, still under warranty so not to worry, just glad i know whats wrong with it

Anonymous

What year is your car BTW?

And hello!

Anonymous

2001 on 40k

heathstimpson

Quote from: "doony"and can't get it over 95 on the motorway
Sorry I meant on a track officer   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Welcome to the club matey  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

s:evil: :evil: s:evil:   not that i abuse the motorway of course, i was just testing it  s:) :) s:)

just taken the car back into toyota, where i presented a bewildered looking service manager with loads of printed off threads from these forums on the matter of my knackered engine, only too be responded with 'so what do you want us to do about it?'  'FIX THE DAMN THING DUMMY!'

I first have to have en emissions test done before they'll look at it (they don't have mot equipment anymore), only then to be informed that while they diagnose the problem, i'll be charged £65 p/h, as it's a used car warranty and doesn't cover that... even though i've just piled about 20 pages of diagnosis on the counter.  

And the head mechanic guy isn't convinced it's the pre-cats, and said it in such a way, that it was somehow my fault.... grrr

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "doony"And the head mechanic guy isn't convinced it's the pre-cats, and said it in such a way, that it was somehow my fault.... grrr

Get him to whip out the left and right O2 sensors in the manifold and have a peek. If you can see the precat matrix he mught be right, if there is nothing but a big hole......

Simon

Anonymous

ye, either way it's broke, and it's not my fault as i've looked after it, i'm still waiting for them to replace my fogged up headlamp which everytime i ask about they are still waiting to clear with the warranty people.  they aren't the most helpful dealer i've ever been too

markiii

whereabouts are you?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

bridgend, south wales

Tags: