replace exhaust

Started by ballyclover, September 25, 2016, 13:47

ballyclover

Hi Guys

Bought a 2nd hand sports exhaust, all in condition. I rang the garage who told me they would charge around £60-70 depending on bolts to fit it and remove stock. However the guy I bought it from says its only a matter of removing 3 bolts, and its simple to do. So am thinking of doing it myself, below is a picture of the new exhaust fittings, is this that straight forward, I know I have to refit the o2 senor//[url=http][img]http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn152/snoopdog1971/20160925_132937.jpg[/img][/url]

Tomo70

Does the car need a new cat?  Best getting gaskets from Toyota. What after market exhaust did you order?
🚘Just a pass time to break the monotony

ballyclover

Has sports cats....was a custom made exhaust

gazza1286

Some after-market exhausts also have two 'hangers' to support the muffler. The stock unit has only the one. Consequently be prepared to fabric something suitable on the offside. Plus you'll need a second rubber mount.

ballyclover

Only has the one mount...apparently its a straight swop

ballyclover

But is it just the 3 bolts?

gazza1286

Yes,  just the three nuts. Do a search for the '3 amigos'. They can present a  problem - soak well with plus-gas WD40 overnight before starting. Make sure these nuts can be undone before removing the rear bumper. You must use a six-sided good quality socket on these nuts. Genuine Toyota crush gaskets should be used (as previously mentioned)  - no compound is required.

If the pre-cats are still in the manifold it's an ideal opportunity to get rid at the same time.

Wilky1974

..... I watched this on eBay. It looks great. Would love to see a picture of it fitted.  s:) :) s:)

ballyclover

Actually bought it for my mates car but once it arrived he changed his mind about it...so decided to stick it on my own.

I will update when fitted in next few weeks

ballyclover

Quote from: "gazza1286"Yes,  just the three nuts. Do a search for the '3 amigos'. They can present a  problem - soak well with plus-gas WD40 overnight before starting. Make sure these nuts can be undone before removing the rear bumper. You must use a six-sided good quality socket on these nuts. Genuine Toyota crush gaskets should be used (as previously mentioned)  - no compound is required.

If the pre-cats are still in the manifold it's an ideal opportunity to get rid at the same time.

I am right in thinking once the exhaust is off i can reach precats and attack with a screwdriver? Is there a need to remove the manifold from the engine?

gazza1286

There have been posts suggesting that it's been done this way. However I'm not comfortable with doing it that way. The original manifold can be re-used (which is what I did) and removing it can be a chore. You'll need a lambda sensor socket but the manifold gasket can be reused. Most people seem to have problems removing the heat shield - I must have been lucky. Be prepared to drill some of the bolts and plenty of care is required for the manifold studs on the head. This is probably why people have removed the cats by leaving the manifold on the car. If those nuts look bad maybe it's worth considering.

jeffsimply

If you were going to get a garage to do the work in the first place, I'd just do that for the sake of £70.

It is not "just 3 bolts"

The pictures you've posted is of the standard cat pipe, that part bolts to the exhaust manifold. The other end has 2 more nuts and bolts along with an exhaust hanger, then you have the 3 other exhaust hangers for the actual back box. Oh and you need to remove the rear bumper.

If you're planning a fit and forget then I'd just have it done by a garage.

Joesson

It would seem that Ballyclover is wanting to " have a go" himself and that is the only economic way that our cars will continue to be around long enough for them to achieve the " Classic" status I believe they deserve.
As I have previously suggested, use the "Only £60 or £70" to buy some tools. These will then be available for the next job.
You will need Plus Gas, SIX point sockets, use NO other type for this job.
A set of Irwin nut removers if the nuts do round off.
Soak all fixings in Plus Gas and then soak them again.
Replace the manifold nuts with new from Mr. T, they are locking type, one use only.
I would also replace all gaskets, why do the job twice?
Take your time, the job is doable by an OAP, I know that person!

ballyclover

I want to do this myself, I think it would be very rewarding to know I managed to do it all myself. I do understand the concerns around the 3 manifold nuts, but am sure with the right tools, which will come in handy again, that it Is an achievable feat. I am in rush as its not the main car. Its actually in for its MOT soon, so depending on that outcome will dictate if I even do the job or not. Obviously if the cost of repairs due to MOT fail is considerable it would be pointless spending more money than I need to.

I pretty sure this exhaust doesn't have the box back, its just splits into two separate pipes to the tips

Daft question who is this MR T?

Jock

Ballyclare it would help if you posted a pic of the complete component you are looking to fit. From your last post it appears that it's an "L" shape which hangs off the 3 amigos. No hangars and no cat?
Apart from MOT emissions failure, lack of back pressure will likely give less power and the sound maybe interesting   s:? :? s:?  . So not a street car setup  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:

Joesson

Sorry for any puzzlement,
Mr T is Toyota
As Jock has now mentioned " the 3 amigos" another explanation is necessary.
They are the 3 fixings on the flame between the lower end of the exhaust manifold and the exhaust / main catalyser section.

PS. You will need a larger tube of metal polish than in your photo if you want to get that pipe work shiney!

ballyclover

hi

below is the complete unit.Is this gonna cause problems with back pressures? Only polishing tips as rest be hidden. I have been told this contains sports cats

//[url=http][img]http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn152/snoopdog1971/20160926_192113.jpg[/img][/url]

ballyclover

MR2j

The last photo is the cat, the previous picture is just the two flexi joints.

ballyclover

So it does have one at least..cheers

Essex2Visuvesi

Thats gonna be very loud!
If loud is not your thing let me know and I'll take it off your hands as that would be perfect on my turbo build

shnazzle

Oh wow! That is going to put a janspeed exhaust thoroughly to shame.
I reckon 120db.
Good luck getting past the rozzers with that  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

ballyclover

Oh no...hope its not illegal....it came like that lol...

Essex2Visuvesi

Quote from: "ballyclover"Oh no...hope its not illegal....it came like that lol...
well it has a cat so will probably pass the MOT but with just the cat as any form of silencer it will be a very loud.

The only thing I can say is fit it (looks an easy job) and then run it up
If it's too loud then fit a turbo kit as the turbo will reduce the noise levels (a bit)

Tags: