Whirring sound

Started by sony, October 29, 2016, 10:09

sony

Hi all
I have a whirring sort of sound from what sounds like rear ns wheel, tyre was worn so replaced but sound still there ,seems loudest when doing around 3040 mph.also only there when accelerator pedal is down.could this be wheel bearing or something else.?

jonbill

When did you first notice te sound? After a brake pad change? Could be the dust shield rubbing on the disx

sony

No not done anything to the brakes .?

Carolyn

If your pads are getting low, there's a metal wear indicator that will rub on the disc and make a sound.  Time to take a peek at your brakes?
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

krazysteve

What mileage has it done? i had similar last year sent me bonkers, checked c/v's bearings brakes etc.
After dropping gearbox oil problem found, oil was ditch after week at the ring had killed it.
It lasted about another 4k before self destructing lol.
RACING, because football, cricket, rugby and golf only need ONE BALL

sony

Car is 2001 with 65k on the clock and always been serviced ,brakes etc all OK think I will have to take to local garage for them to take a look,?

sony

Just came back from garage bad news they said gearbox trouble ,would have to strip it down before they knew what the problem is,anybody know what to expect to pay for a gearbox repair.?

Ardent

Have to say, unusual to hear about gearbox problems.
Do you know the garage?
where are you based?
65k with a problem box. You would have to be very very unlucky for that to be the case.

Carolyn

I had a very similar noise.  Turned out to be a simple brake issue (brake pad clip missing).  Not saying your mechanic is wrong, but I'd want a second opinion.  Does the noise go away at higher speeds?  Mine did.  Took twenty minutes to fix.  (Trying to be optimistic on your behalf.)
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Joesson

I spent my working life, firstly in a factory that made gear cutting machines and then in the lift industry that uses gear boxes. I have been a driver since I was seventeen with many vehicles, including Rep mobiles, and I am now considerably older.
In that time I have had a problem with one gear box, on a 1963 Hillman Imp.
This was fixed by a friend of my Father in Law whose day job was manufacturing four wheel drive transmission systems.
In other words gear boxes are generally reliable, if fit for purpose.
I add that proviso as the lift industry did suffer from problems with unfit gear boxes at one time.
So, my " thought" would be that it is unlikely to be the gear box, a very expensive item to be " stripped, examined and repaired " by a garage, that by it' s own admission doesn't t know what is causing the noise.
As with any problem it is better to work up from the simple, inexpensive solution, rather than start with the expensive one.

beavisrules

Had the dust shield problem, hadn't touched anything , it had just rusted and moved to close to the disk. ended up just cutting them off.
We assume the noise is not there when stationary?.

jvanzyl

Oh and does it appear on certain directions of turning and not others?
I've recently had my back right brake shield rust through and it only made a sound on left turns!  :-) :-) :-)

sony

Definitely the gearbox had a think and I am gonna go for a repair on gearbox ,thought about buying second hand box but thought don't know what I am buying.had a quote from local gearbox centre £380 +vat that's taking out gearbox doing repair and back in will also have car back next day.when talking to centre fitter said he had done a couple of these boxs in the past all with same problem.will let you how I get on.

Ardent

Quote from: "sony"fitter said he had done a couple of these boxs in the past all with same problem.will let you how I get on.

Do please let us know. Most interested.

sony

Hi all,
Just got car back from gearbox centre drove it back approx 15 miles ,shinning sound gone and all seems back to normal ,fitter said the problem was the gearbox end bearings cost was £390+vat so £470 ,happy with that dropped car off first thing and back same day.fingers crossed that's I solved.

Keith

Hi Sony, where did you have this done, please?  I've just been quoted £700  !!
2000, lagoon blue, hard top, precats removed, Dev\'s keyhole covers, K & N, breatplate.  Loving it even more I\'ve had the injectors cleaned!

jonbill

Sounds like a good result [emoji106]

sony

Cwmbran gearbox center don't be put off by the appearance of the place they new what the problem was before they looked at the car,no problems since having work done just done a trip to Scotland and back 780miles there and back with no unusual noises at all .

Tags: