Pre-cat gutting meet

Started by markiii, January 21, 2005, 00:59

markiii

Ok, having consulted with the Mrs, ref dates, I'm offering up the 6th Feb as our pre-cat gutting meet.

Anyone that wants in for that date please stick your names in, intention will be to commence in Welwyn at 9am for sausage sarnies and get as many done as possible.

Whos up for it?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

heathstimpson

Put me down please Mark  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  Thanks for offering your facilities and expertise matey. And what do you suggest in way of a thank you. Something liquid for you, flowers or choccies for the missus and a donation to the club each  s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

ChrisHumes

Could you tell me what exactly is involved?

Does it affect warranty / MOT?

Cheers

GSB

I'm not available to play surgeon on the 6th of Feb (in fact I'm generally only available during the week), but I'm sure theres enough expertise and experience there now to do the job without me...

Dont forget your gaskets!

Part number is T90917-06065
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

I can vouch for Mark's hospitality and welcome. Its more than up to the job!!!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Good luck everyone. Well worth doing.........

Anonymous

Count me in too please Mark!   s:D :D s:D  

Much appreciated mate.

Anonymous

I'd like my cats gutting, I'll be there.

Thanks  s:) :) s:)

Comer

I may pop along to say hi but I'll have to leave by 11.00 due to football.
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

roger

Mark, is Feb 6th before or after the brake lines   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I am chickening out on the pre-cat gut, leaving it till the 3 years is up, then there's no argument if any thing does blow. Will you still be around 2s in 2007?

Roger
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

GSB

Quote from: "roger"Mark, is Feb 6th before or after the brake lines   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I am chickening out on the pre-cat gut, leaving it till the 3 years is up, then there's no argument if any thing does blow. Will you still be around 2s in 2007?

Roger

I'd get rid of them now, if it then goes tits up you can always stick on a manifold with the cats intact, and in the meantime you'll be safe in the knowledge that your precats cannot possibly do your engine any dmage whatsoever form the bottom of a skip... If it still blows? Theres always someone around who'll be able help you out...

Incidentally, I have just this very minute finished removing my own pre-cats, just finishing up bolting the nappy back on now.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

For the trivia fans amongst you, the '04 looks like it has slightly different block than my old '01, as the maifold support brackets are now very sturdy looking cast affairs that bolt in 4 places on the block, as opposed to the old cars pressed brackets that only bolted in 2 places. They have also solved the problem of the cracking welds on the cat heatshield by redesigning the shield without the welds, and the manifold looks liek it is very slightly different in design, although it could just be that it was built on a different pipe bender...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

markiii

plus the fact that if they can dissapear on their pwnnn, (thats why we remove them) how will Toyot know if you removed them on purpose or they have just disintegrated?

Grants right gut them now.

as for teh brakelines I reckon they will be after this, a few niggles to iron out first, plus the little matter of creating enough garage space,

guess whose building a mezanine floor this weekend  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

roger

Quote from: "markiii"guess whose building a mezanine floor this weekend  :-) :-) :-)

Out goes the engine lift then?   s:( :( s:(  

OK, you have me persuaded, I think. Just one last question when I painted my manifold cover I could not get the LH O2 sensor out. Do they have to come out to gut, or can you get at everything from the other end?

I'll ask the next question as well, just in case. If you must get it out, and its been cross threaded at installation, or it breaks is there the know-how to deal with it. Should gaskets + O2 sensor be on the shopping list?

Presume you will have room for me Mark, probably have to bring the "beer" before it goes off   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

roger:
Roger

Slacey

Quote from: "roger"I could not get the LH O2 sensor out. Do they have to come out to gut, or can you get at everything from the other end?

I'll ask the next question as well, just in case. If you must get it out, and its been cross threaded at installation, or it breaks is there the know-how to deal with it. Should gaskets + O2 sensor be on the shopping list?
Roger, the manifold itself has to be removed, and yes, the O2's need to come out. Gaskets are definately worth buying (although you can re-use the manifold gasket, but they are only £7 new), but O2's are damn expensive, even the 3rd party ones aren't cheap. So, it's a bit of a gamble - it might be that it's just really tight, or it may be cross-threaded, which one of mine were - getting it out destroyed the sensor and knackered the bung on the manifold, I had to get it retapped by a proffesional  s:( :( s:(
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

markiii

Quote from: "roger"
Quote from: "markiii"guess whose building a mezanine floor this weekend  :-) :-) :-)

Out goes the engine lift then?   s:( :( s:(  

OK, you have me persuaded, I think. Just one last question when I painted my manifold cover I could not get the LH O2 sensor out. Do they have to come out to gut, or can you get at everything from the other end?

Presume you will have room for me Mark, probably have to bring the "beer" before it goes off   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

roger:

mezzanine floor, is over the workshop so the engine lift should be safe  :-) :-) :-)

on a car as new as yours roger it should come out no problem. however as I'd advise everyone douse it with penetrating oil regularly beforehand.

absolute worst case the car will still be driveable even if the sensor breaks, which means you could get it to dealer for a warranty fix i necessary.

Liz

May pop along and say "Hi"  if you let me.. I can give Chris a hand with the sausage sarnies!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

markiii

no problem welcome anytime

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Comer"I may pop along to say hi but I'll have to leave by 11.00 due to football.
It's a Sunday mate; or do you play Sunday League  s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Is there room for me

Two's Company

Will be a very early start but is it okay if I come along   s:?: :?: s:?:

Bongo

I'm in the same boat as roger (LH 02 sensor wise), but I don't have a warranty to back it up, any idea if it's likely to be gutable?

My mum works for a brewery so i should be able to fill the car with booze before i depart   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Peter Wright

Quote from: "heathstimpson"
Quote from: "Comer"I may pop along to say hi but I'll have to leave by 11.00 due to football.
It's a Sunday mate; or do you play Sunday League  s:?: :?: s:?:
Jammy West Ham v Derby 12.30 kick off
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

Liz

All of those attending I am sure would of thought of this anyway...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  .... but a donation to the club for help and the expertise on hand and the work that is going to be done would be greatly appreciated.

Rest assured you will get involved in knocking out the cats yourself once the manifold has been taken off, and washing them out afterwards...just watch the hose pressure and what hole the water is going to come out of..I got a faceful!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Nothing to do with pre-cats, but as there seems to be a bit of a gathering just down the A1 from me, I can offer anyone going the following free  s:D :D s:D  items as a part of a pre-Spring clean:

A rear Yokohama tire 205/50/15 with 5-6mm depth so would suit an 00-02 owner. I kept it when I had to replace the other rear due to a puncture as a backup. Will fit in the underbonnet locker if you leave spare out for the journey.

A set of 00-02 side vents with fitting tags which I had left over when I changed to the colour coded vents.

PM to let me know.

roger

Big decisions, but I have finally decided not to go for the precat gut.

I recall reading somewhere that the thought was 03 or 04 cars appear to have a different type of pre-cat, different mesh size or something. That might have been Toyota's cure. And also I think there has been only one report of an engine going (which may or may not have been a pre-cat). The survey should confirm this.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and my car can be used as the base line level in any analysis on the subject   s:? :? s:?  

Post warranty, we'll see what extended warranties say at that time, and what the future held for post 03/04 cars. If they start going once the mileage has been put on, then I'll definitely go for it - so long as mine hasn't gone before!

Sorry to miss the party folks, but see you at the next one.

roger
Roger

markiii

Ok I make that

FunkyMonkey
Peter Wright
Bowman
Heathsimpson
Ekona
Phil 4
Maxum
Bongo
Two's Company

Thats 9 so lets call it a day there as I think thats going to be pushing it for one day as it is.

Please note

1. Please PM to confirm if you are definately coming, and I'l send you my address.
2. If you have 02 sockets or sockets sets please bring them
3. A trip to halfords for some penetrating oil is a necesity and you will need to douse manifold bolts and 02 socket threads liberally at regular intervals teh week before.
4. I would recomend fitting new gaskets as per Grants link above.

Tags: