HELP! 1st spin in the wet & wheels need re-aligning

Started by Anonymous, July 28, 2003, 22:12

Anonymous

Not sure on the ins and outs exactly. Other people maybe able to explain in a little more detail, but laser alignemt, as I see it is like getting the tracking done, but with added extras and a whole lot more accurate.

Anyone car to elaborate? Not really my field this one!!!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:? :? s:?    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

filcee

4-wheel alignment I would expect to be camber, caster and toe-in.

Tracking I think is just toe-in, but will usually ensure the wheel is in the 12 o'clock position when driving straight ahead.

Interestingly, the wheel position is out on my new car.  It's at about 11:30 when driving straight ahead.  Steering 'feel' is poor compared to my old 2001-model, but front-end grip is better than in my 2001 which had a tendency to understeer if you weren't bang on with the acceleration point in a corner.  I had the same problem with the 2001 when it was new, had an alignment check done which corrected the wheel position and gave better 'feel'.  It also seemed to result in a new camber setting which caused the inner shoulders of the fronts to wear faster - plus the understeeriness which was probably due to a smaller contact patch.

I now have to deal with an 'off-centre' steering wheel, but better front-end grip, or trucking up to the Wirral where Johnsons have offered to do a 4-wheel alignment for free (and in 'goodwill') due to the number of miles I have put on the new one in the last 2 weeks.  This might improve the 'feel', but change the handling.  Ho hum, decisions, decisions   s:? :? s:?

Anyone else have a similar problem with their '2 when new?  Seems odd that I have had the same thing with 2 in a row now, unless it is meant to be like that ...
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

juansolo

Mine had an off-centre wheel also.  Just had it tracked up properly and all is good.
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Anonymous

I think the off-centre thing is a common thing. I had mine aligned at Mr T and it kinda cured it. It was better than it was, but it is still not perfect. It also depends on the camber of the road to be honest. I have noticed mine go either way, so be careful its not just that.........

Anonymous

I had an off centre steering wheel too, got it fixed, along with the saggy handbrake, at my first service.

--H--

Anonymous

Since switching to Bridgestone's Pole Position S03s throughout, my '2 has felt SOOO MUCH more "in control" in the wet than the Yokos.

Especially when worn, the Yokos are dreadful in the wet. They SKIP all the time.

I first noticed that when reversing the car (you can actually see the whole wheel skip/jump sideways!)

Driving in the wet, the Yokos would grip and then let go suddenly: a sure way to go into a spin!

The bridgestone S03 have amazing grip in the wet (they are "double A" wet traction rated and finished first in all comparative tests I've seen). But most importantly they do not skip: When they start to loose grip, it happens PROGRESSIVELY and not suddenly as with the Yokos.

Another great advantage of switching to Bridgestone S03s is that they deliver 100% performance throughout their lives and last much longer than the Yokos (TWI of 220 versus only 160 for the Yokos!)

John H.
'01 MR2, TTE adj. anti-roll bars, TRD member braces, S03s throughout.

Anonymous

Quote from: "phat"The bridgestone S03 have amazing grip in the wet (they are "double A" wet traction rated and finished first in all comparative tests I've seen). But most importantly they do not skip: When they start to loose grip, it happens PROGRESSIVELY and not suddenly as with the Yokos.
This is what I liked best about the Toyo Proxes T1-S, progressive and good wet performance.  They're cheaper than the Bridgestones too!  I'm not sure about lifespan yet but my rears are up to about 10,000 miles now and they still have about 4mm of tread left!  (Although unfortunately the majority of those last 10,000 miles has been motorway miles.  s:( :( s:(  )

--H--

Anonymous

What size of Toyos did you buy ?

I have a 03 model with the 16" rear alloys, but Toyo don't make a 215/45/16 tyre.

Puggman

Anonymous

I have an '02 model.  Toyo do the stock sizes for mine.

s:) :) s:)  

--H--

Anonymous

Quote from: "puggman"What size of Toyos did you buy ?

I have a 03 model with the 16" rear alloys, but Toyo don't make a 215/45/16 tyre.

Puggman

.... and they have no plans to make one in our size either - I already asked them!   s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

I know it's been discussed loads before but Toyo do a 225/40/16 which is within a few mm of stock in terms of radius and just a touch wider.

--H--

Anonymous

Quote from: "Hardcore"I know it's been discussed loads before but Toyo do a 225/40/16 which is within a few mm of stock in terms of radius and just a touch wider.

--H--

According to  m http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc m  that would make the car run 2.3% too fast which would mean your speedo would read 60mph when your actually doing 58.6mph.... not too bad, better than being fast i suppose!

I think i remember steve or martin saying that 225 on a 7" wheel is pushing it a bit....?

Anonymous

Good point, I didn't realise the '03 rears are 7", I guess I just assumed they were 7.5".

--H--

juansolo

Quote from: "puggman"I have a 03 model with the 16" rear alloys, but Toyo don't make a 215/45/16 tyre.

Phone Jonny at Bookatrack, ask for a set of Yokohama Advan Neova LTS in Elise sizes, part with £400.  

The most communicative tyres I've ever known and the BEST track tyres I've ever come accross for this kind of car.

Oh and 225's on the new 16" rear wheels is absolutely fine much like 195's on the front is.
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Tags: