Is my '2 gonna die??

Started by Anonymous, January 23, 2005, 21:58

markiii

should do, if the main cat is blocked though do it soon.

otherwise excess backpressure will exacerbate the oil loss.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

i have managed to source a used main cat for ₤175 + delivery. is it worth fitting this or should i buy a warranty, so id the engine does eventually go t*ts up, i will hopefully have my back covered...

Anonymous

Hi,

At that price, I would say replace the main Cat as that would automatically put the power back into the car. I paid £720 for a new one!  

You may find that the car will be fine after replacing the main cat, but will require regular oil checks.  

If you do notice excessive oil consumption, I would recommend purchasing an extended warranty to protect your engine in the future.  

FYI, I had a quote for £299 with the RAC (to a limit of £3000 per claim) and £215 with Warranty Direct (to a limit of £5000 per claim).  If you leave the cat alone, I dare say the combined cost of replacing the cat and engine would exceed £3000 (although I am not certain!)

By the way, I could not find the catalytic converter in the list of covered items with any Warranty.  Have you seen it covered?

Anonymous

im sure i saw 'catalytic converter' covered.

Only thing im worried about if i take out a warranty is them refusing to pay out as my manifold has now been modified (cats gutted) do you think this will affect it, or could i say that, both of them collapsed and disintegrated on there own??

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Tomr2"im sure i saw 'catalytic converter' covered.

Only thing im worried about if i take out a warranty is them refusing to pay out as my manifold has now been modified (cats gutted) do you think this will affect it, or could i say that, both of them collapsed and disintegrated on there own??
I would have thought you would be ok as no-one could prove that they did not disintegrate  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Bongo

Quote from: "heathstimpson"
Quote from: "Tomr2"im sure i saw 'catalytic converter' covered.

I would have thought you would be ok as no-one could prove that they did not disintegrate  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I've always thought this to be an odd argument as surely if they disintegrated there would be some trace left behind, compared to a gutting which cleans everything out?

Anonymous

The only thing that lack of a pre-cat can prove is that it ain't there now.  Can't prove it was there to begin with, nor that it was removed, just that it isn't there now.

Tem

Quote from: "Bongo"I've always thought this to be an odd argument as surely if they disintegrated there would be some trace left behind, compared to a gutting which cleans everything out?

You're right, there would be tons of trash between the precats and main cat. We know it, but they don't  s;) ;) s;)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

so the loss in perfomance my '2 is suffering from is cos the main cat is damaged?

ive just thought, with the new cat ive just ordered, if it is off a uk '2, will there be any complications as uk 2's have a sensor on the main cat right? as mine is a j-spec

Tem

Quote from: "Tomr2"so the loss in perfomance my '2 is suffering from is cos the main cat is damaged?

I'd guess for that. Think of it this way, collapsing cat in the pipe is pretty much like you put an old sock in the pipe. It might breath enough to idle nicely, but once you try to move more gasses through it, it just won't flow. Or kinda like changing the pipe to a 0.5" pipe.

Quoteive just thought, with the new cat ive just ordered, if it is off a uk '2, will there be any complications as uk 2's have a sensor on the main cat right? as mine is a j-spec

The 3rd sensor just sniffs if the cat is doing it's job. If you don't have it, you won't have any issues no matter what cat you have (or no cat at all).
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Tags: