New Mohair roof in a box

Started by mulaz, November 29, 2016, 19:00

lamcote

That'll be Soul II Soul

Ooooh, I am so hip.
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

MR TWO

Quote from: "mulaz"Cheers for the best wishes!... you would think i was undertaken some epic journey up Everest
But for now i have started with lifting the hard top off using my electric winch and this is now stored up out of the way

The car is now tucked up in my warm garage for the night and the misses is away from tomorrow morning with the girls to see Soul to Soul so i can play at my hearts content all day and night if i have too with planet rock blasting  fitting my new roof:D

Goodluck and this sounds like fun!
1MZFE, Emerald ECU, LSD, BC coilovers, custom middle & front under brace, F / R strut brace. Slotted discs & yellow pads, Blue flame exhaust.
Carrera leather seats, Davids bars, Focal subwoofer & voce speakers & bling !
TRD Stage 2 F & R spoilers,  Haltezza bonnet, C1 side vents, JDL rear panel

mulaz

I have worked on my roof change from 10am this morning until 5.30 and completed 95%
Had a few headaches and had to redo a few steps along the way but happy for what i have accomplished  

Even having the DVD showing the procedure it missed a few items out as not every roof is the same
Got to say this is not easy to do as at times you have to be a blind one handed contortionist  

Only for the brave as Dick Sloan commented on face book but the savings for a Genuine Haartz are worth it if you have the skill and buckets loads of patients
Slowly replacing all the old parts for new parts so that one day i will end up with a brand new car !   s]

Treboeth

Well done, looks a really nice job.

Did you fill up the swear jar?

mulaz

Haha not my style to swear as I have found over the years it make things worse.
But screaming helped !
Know I have a few ahhhhh tomorrow before I am happy   s:) :) s:)
Slowly replacing all the old parts for new parts so that one day i will end up with a brand new car !   s]

sussex

Looks Brilliant, can see the quality, Always a bit of pressure when fitting something expensive in case something goes wrong, often when fitting parts etc the owner makes a better job than the professionals as they spend more time on the job ,for a garage time is money.

moleskin

Patience is what is needed to do a good job. Something that you seem to have.
Not sure that I do though!!
For every action there is an opposite and unequal overreaction

mulaz

[attachment=1:1972q6hh] ia1 car3.gif ia1 [/attachment:1972q6hh]well it's finished for now, i'm going to let it stretch out for a while as it's drum tight but does look so much better than my old roof
I Have one small area on the second bow that needs redoing but i have had my fill this weekend.

My advice for other owners thinking of fitting a roof is "if you have to ask yourself can i do this?" then i wouldn't try!
as it's defiantly at the top end of home car maintenance skill levels and patience  

As the old saying goes it's easy once you know how it's done

Tomo70

Looks great Ian, job well done.
🚘Just a pass time to break the monotony

MR TWO

It looks brilliant!

I bought Fabsil for mine after I tested it for a month or so ( I wanted to know it didnt leak before I put extra waterproofing on it). Now the rain bubbles up just like it does on the paintwork.  Yeah I know its silly but I like it!
1MZFE, Emerald ECU, LSD, BC coilovers, custom middle & front under brace, F / R strut brace. Slotted discs & yellow pads, Blue flame exhaust.
Carrera leather seats, Davids bars, Focal subwoofer & voce speakers & bling !
TRD Stage 2 F & R spoilers,  Haltezza bonnet, C1 side vents, JDL rear panel

mulaz

andyroo104

Looks great, I do love a mohair especially a top quality one.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
MAF-What a difference a spray makes!!!!!!!!!!!

shnazzle

Really well done Ian. Looks smashing
...neutiquam erro.

jvanzyl

So now that you're an expert can we come to your for help fitting??  :-) :-) :-)

mulaz

Fitting one roof doesn't make me an expert but l will help anyone to my best of knowledge with advice
If I was doing it again I would change some steps that are on the DVD and to knock hours off the time it took

GREYMR252

Looks great mulaz, hell of a saving doing it yourself, you probably know this already but, after I'd had mine fitted by Paul at the softopshop he told me to run the hose over it as soon as I got home and give it a really good soaking no idea why and his other bit of advice was not to put the hood down for a couple of weeks.  Not a problem I guess at this time of the year!  Best of luck mate, the job looks great.

shnazzle

Why do you need to soak it GREY? OUt of curiosity
...neutiquam erro.

Joesson

My guess would be that the soaking thoroughly wets / stretches all the fibres. As the hood dries, without additional heat, the hood fibres will shrink and become tighter on the frame and " mould" or pre shrink the shape.
In the days of tight denims I understand this was the way to get the correct form!

GREYMR252

I think you're right there Joe, when I picked mine up I was so blown away by the difference the mohair hood made that I forgot to ask all the questions I should have such as; why do I need to soak it, what's the best way to get bird crap off (I live by the seaside!) does it need proofing etc...  Turns out the soaking does work like sitting in the bath in new Levi's yes I'm old enough to have done that, no need to proof it, bird crap comes off no problem with the hose just let it air dry no need to dry it off with the chamois leather.  Still looks like new three months on would thoroughly recommend.

Essex2Visuvesi

Quote from: "mulaz"Haha not my style to swear as I have found over the years it make things worse.
But screaming helped !

I find being able to swear in multiple languages can be beneficial

Joesson

Quote from: "Essex2Visuvesi"
Quote from: "mulaz"Haha not my style to swear as I have found over the years it make things worse.
But screaming helped !

I find being able to swear in multiple languages can be beneficial

Often quality scores over quantity  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

mulaz

Did a small amount of corrective work on my roof this morning and can now say that's it for now and i am 99% happy especially for £500

i only have one problem and that's the glass when lift up from folded hits the roof pull catch , so the one handed pull up for now is a no go
After speaking to EZ-0N who made this roof they said You have to give the top time to adjust and wear in and eventually it won't catch onto anything. Our tech guy also mentioned you should use your hand to push the bottom of the top inward and then pull up when you are lifting the top.

Will post an update next year after the roof has been giving some time to settle

Joesson

As I no longer work for a living, I have spare time available to ease the top down and glass into place with both hands from outside the car which I feel gives the (OE) roof a better chance of a longer life.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

shnazzle

Ian if it makes you feel better my rear window has always caught the catch and I always push the window up from the inside when putting the roof up
...neutiquam erro.

Tags: