Norways first legal 2ZZ roadster!!!!?

Started by toyofan, December 25, 2016, 20:03

toyofan

Well now it is time to start my tread!
The title is a goal for me, to make the car Toyota newer made, the 2zz powered MR2!

Nothing new in here I know, but I will try to make it look "factory-buildt", as it would have been if Toyota ever did make them.
So no wide arches, airplane wings, 18inch wheels or other "bling-bling" things
Basically a KISS build (keep it simple stupid!!!)

The car:
Silver 2000modell, so PFL, in ok mechanical state, but a bit "used" cosmetically.
Has original hardtop, TTE springs and exhaust, rear ducktail spoiler and "banana?" spoiler on engine lid (this one definitely has to come OFF!!!)

The plan:
2zz engine and gearbox from 2001 Celica
mount OEM LSD to Celica gearbox, and install shifter shaft and reverse shift lockout.
Modify OEM engine mount for "factory-look"
Modify rev counter for correct redline for the 2zz engine, might throw in some T-sport decals in there too?
Fabricate an exhaust adapter to use OEM header on 2zz engine (only for MOT...)
modify Celica header and make new exhaust, might try to use TTE rear box for OEM TTE look, need to plan as I go here I think...
Use OEM FL rear wheels in the front, 7x16 with 195/45-16
Widen OEM FL rear wheels to 8x16, with 215/45-16, 225/40-16 or 225/45-16? (OK, definitely not KISS, but has to be done...)
freshen up the exterior

Still considering:
Bracing
poly bushed suspension (not as Toyota would do it, but lets face it, 17year old bushes is not as new...)
lowering? what to use?

So there you go, the plan is out, but I am afraid it is going to take some time, but will try updating as things happens...
Pictures of the current state of swap to come!

manos3003

Awesome to see this in the making. I'll be posting pic-ies of my progress soon enough too  s:D :D s:D

Things you are considering:
Bracing? YES! DO IT!
Polybush? That's subjective. I like my polys, but could happily live with new shiny OEM spec ones
Lowering? Get coilovers, simples. Which ones? Your pick.  s:) :) s:)

Quote from: "toyofan"Well now it is time to start my tread!
The title is a goal for me, to make the car Toyota newer made, the 2zz powered MR2!

Nothing new in here I know, but I will try to make it look "factory-buildt", as it would have been if Toyota ever did make them.
So no wide arches, airplane wings, 18inch wheels or other "bling-bling" things
Basically a KISS build (keep it simple stupid!!!)

The car:
Silver 2000modell, so PFL, in ok mechanical state, but a bit "used" cosmetically.
Has original hardtop, TTE springs and exhaust, rear ducktail spoiler and "banana?" spoiler on engine lid (this one definitely has to come OFF!!!)

The plan:
2zz engine and gearbox from 2001 Celica
mount OEM LSD to Celica gearbox, and install shifter shaft and reverse shift lockout.
Modify OEM engine mount for "factory-look"
Modify rev counter for correct redline for the 2zz engine, might throw in some T-sport decals in there too?
Fabricate an exhaust adapter to use OEM header on 2zz engine (only for MOT...)
modify Celica header and make new exhaust, might try to use TTE rear box for OEM TTE look, need to plan as I go here I think...
Use OEM FL rear wheels in the front, 7x16 with 195/45-16
Widen OEM FL rear wheels to 8x16, with 215/45-16, 225/40-16 or 225/45-16? (OK, definitely not KISS, but has to be done...)
freshen up the exterior

Still considering:
Bracing
poly bushed suspension (not as Toyota would do it, but lets face it, 17year old bushes is not as new...)
lowering? what to use?

So there you go, the plan is out, but I am afraid it is going to take some time, but will try updating as things happens...
Pictures of the current state of swap to come!
I can't recall a day when I drove my MR2 and it didn't put a smile on my face
<strike>2000 Spectra Blue Mica - 2ZZ-GE gone, but not forgotten</strike>
2002 Spectra Blue Mica K20A2 coming up

JoeCool

Sounds like a good build! Remarkably similar to mine really!

How's it coming along?
2ZZ '02 Roadster

toyofan

Thanks for your interest guys!

And sorry for the lack of updates...

As the project moves along, I find that it will be hard to keep it close to OEM spec...
After all, who wouldn't want coil overs or proper induction system...

But on the other hand, I really like the idea of getting everything you need at your local Toyota garage, so I really don't know the outcome of this yet.

Sort of making the road as I go:-)

toyofan

Anyway, this is the progress so far:

Gearbox done:-)
Celica 2zz box, with Mr2 LSD, and shifter mechanics made up of a mix of OEM Mr2 and Celica parts, and some custom modifications to some parts...
(Just a tip if you consider this yourself: DONT DO IT!!! get the whole shifter from a 6 speed MR2, or buy from MWR)

1zz is out!!!
Really easy actually, not a single nut/bolt causing trouble (not bad for a 16year old norwegian car having spent many years on salted winter roads )

Oem flywheel lightened and balanced, and new OEM clutch fitted

Engine mount homemade from a solid piece of aluminum

OEM dipstick tube modified to fit 2zz

Wiringloom from MR2 modified to fit 2zz

2zz engine and box installed!!!
Not started yet, left to do is install water piping, induction, sort the vacuum tubing, modify exhaust, +++?
Had it running on the starter, just to get oil pressure, and check for DTCs, 0 DTCs detected!!!!!!

toyofan

Testing picture uploading here...
 m http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/toyof ... ml?filters m [user]=146150819&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

Jacobsprky

Keep up the hard work!
01 Silver PFL

toyofan

Can anyone see the pictures?
I can't...
How can I upload so that it is visible in the post?

BTW, it runs!!!!!!!

manos3003

Nice work  s:) :) s:)

We can't see pictures though  s:( :( s:(

Quote from: "toyofan"Can anyone see the pictures?
I can't...
How can I upload so that it is visible in the post?

BTW, it runs!!!!!!!

jonbill

Your images don't work because of three things -
1) you've posted a link URL to your photobucket site/collection, not a link to an image
2) the URL you posted has become separated over two lines and so is no longer a URL
3) you didn't post it between IMG tags.

are you using the website or tapatalk?
on the web, you go to photobucket, select your image and copy the URL by 'direct' in the share image panel on the right.
then go to mr2roc, go to full editor, press 'img' and between the two  tags, past the URL in.

you should then have something like this in the editor :

jonbill

which looks like this:

toyofan

Had to re-name the tread!

Got my registration plates this Friday, and I think that makes my car the first MR2 ever to be legally modified and approved by the Norwegian Vegvesen, (DVLA)

The process took 5 months from first contact with SVV (norwegian DVLA) to getting the car all legal here!

But at least it should be easier for other Norwegian owners to convert their cars.

Will do a better writeup later, just had to say this now, So glad to finally get it legalized!!!

StuC

Congratulations  s:-D :-D s:-D  

Well done for sticking with it.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

jonbill

Congrats.

manos3003

Well done buddy! Good work and well worth the effort!  s:D :D s:D

Ardent

well played

toyofan

Thanks!

And thanks for all help needed for documents, and good guidance during the swap!

Here is the current spec, thats been approved here:

2001 Celica 2zz engine and gearbox and ecu
Modified mr2 oil dipstick tube
Modified mr2 wiring harness
Mr2 LSD swapped to Celica gearbox
Modified Celica exhaust manifold (cut and welded) and welded together with stock mr2 catalyst (the rear one)
TTE silencer
Stock mr2 airfilterbox, modified(lengtened) air intake hose.
Homemade engine mount

And the car has been modified with KW suspension (sadly just borrowed...) and FL wheels.

JoeCool

Congratulations, well done!! hope you love it as  much as I love mine.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

Tags: