Crankshaft sensor

Started by Abc123, January 15, 2017, 05:10

Abc123

Omg got trouble   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  woke Saturday morning to wifey saying car won't start battery has been a bit iffey so just thought new bat will sort all probs but after some detective work and a plug in found out that the tdc,rpm, (crankshaft sensor) is up the wall now iam perplexed as to how replace it on the drive with minimal tools dose the alternator and air con units have to be removed just to unplug it really or is there a hack to getting it unplugged   s:D :D s:D  
All help would be appreciated

beavisrules

Should be possible but can see it's a nightmare . really need to do it from underneath and guess have tiny hands.
The sensor itself shouldn't be to hard, long as it doesn't break apart. 10mm bolt then "it just pulls out" in theory.
IIRC the plug was on a bracket just under the inlet manifold. but not sure.

on a ramp in a workshop I can't see it taking an hour.
on a driveway in the rain, maybe a weekend  s:( :( s:( .

beavisrules

Also , check the sensors earth is good , it has its own on its bolt, small tag + black wire.

Abc123

Ha removed sensor from timing cover sweet just unplugging wire at top end seems to be very tight

Abc123

One says circuit a faulty would this corespond to the earth

shnazzle

Wouldn't be the first person with the crankshaft sensor earth go bad
...neutiquam erro.

Abc123

ill try a clean up before the attempt coz it's raining cats and dogs at the moe

loadswine

I had a bad earth on mine and cleaning up made all the difference. Good luck with yours.  s;) ;) s;)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Carolyn

While you have it out, and if you have a multimeter, you can check the resistance.  It should be 1,630 – 2,740 ohms when cold.  Very very often it is a poor earth, but why not make sure before you crawl back under?
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Abc123

I need to unplug it before I can check ohms reading and that's the problem, going to dare it now less cats and dogs, now more of drizzle its dry under there just me legs to get wet thanks all for help I'll update you all soon

Carolyn

I understand the weather problem.  All work here has ceased 'cos it's too bloody cold.

The trick with these plugs is to give them a bit of a soak with WD and then use a small screwdriver to lift the other end of the clip from its seat. Mind you, it's still probably the earth!!

Abc123

the plot thickens cleaned up earth lead for crank sensor put back in mr mr2 started happy days.left to run till hot turned off turned on happy days put under tray back removed from stands put every thing away ready for test run and won't start plugged in no codes
Possible that earth is still not clean? I do not know.
Previous code was p0335 a circuit malfunction knock sensor any ideas before I remove under trays and clean a clean earth lead again?

Abc123

Not nock sensor crank sensor bloody spell checker

Carolyn

Bugger!

Starting to sound like the sensor itself is on the fail.  Leave the nappies off until it's sorted.  One more go at really making sure of a clean earth - but I'd really try to get it away from the connector and check the resistance.  It changes at is gets hot and may already be too high.

ChrisGB

Usually, a dodgy earth on the crank position sensor will cause rough running at high revs and random codes. It does sound like the sensor or wiring is going intermittent.
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Abc123

Ok here is update :- strange but true, after removal and clean up mister mr2 started twice ok then after putting everything in shed he no wanna go,still raining & cold so went In & had dinner now 5 o'clock and dark not one to give in easy jacked up removed under tray 1 of this time removed sensor cleaned to max & added a new earth plus ring & a new wire so I know earth ok well positive lools ok turned over still nowt just spinning over still dark so not taking off top cover to see if got spark took easy route & plugged in and up came p0335 which is crank sensor so tomozz I can get one as Saturday & Sunday nobody got
Ok Carolyn thanks for help with plug but it's just impossible to get to with out removal of aircon pump and oil filter housing so when new one under car ima gonna cut wires and solder in by the bottom pulley its only 3 got to be easier than the plug lools I'll update tomozz evening

Abc123

Ok new update orders new crank sensor this morn from company called eu's only £65 plus vat. so say ok coz coming today, euros can't get till Wednesday only £27,wifey NEEDS CAR SO SWOLLOW £40, when part turns up its a camshaft sensor not a crankshaft sensor phone company back oh sorry I can get for you Wednesday £60 coz you been peedoff so phone euro and ask is that right price and can Defoe get for Wednesday right price but now will be Thursday coz very late in day so iam out of luck and you very helpful people will have to wait till weds/thurs for my cries of more help I'll try to put pics in of job when done many thanks b back soon (same part from 2 different company's its inter motor make, I know what you gonna say but 27 against 100+ wot you gonna do)

Abc123

Ok euros let me down on the £27 sensor but can get me £85 now   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:  Me thinks trickery here so got both on order for tomorrow £65 inter motor or £85 one blue print what u guys think

ChrisGB

I'd just get the Toyota one. Do it right, do it once.
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Abc123

Ok big day tomozz got the part have brought every 12 14 17 19 and 10 MM. spanner and sockets I have after doing the clutch on it you would think a little lead like that would not be a problem but just can't get to it so its aircon pump unbolted so I can get to it and more if have to.
Problem is the sensor lead is fixed I can see it up there but can't see back end or even get to it can only get one hand up there so trying to reconnect it it's gonna be hell so I'll strip it out till I can get to it

Abc123

KK the sun has been shining temperature is up a little mr2 been on stands all week wifey fuming
Lifted him up both sides as high as he would go looked at sensor wire connection no way iam going to get to it with out strip out and glad I did because the wire fits in a crevice in between block & aircon pump ill do a write up in how to do
Thank you all so much for your help
Must have been something wrong with it as I've noticed a marked difference in performance higher faster revs no jerking when changing gear better starting when hot also
Thanks again I'll explain all in how too

shnazzle

How to would be amazing  s:) :) s:)   the how to area is locked but if you post it here I'll move it
...neutiquam erro.

Abc123

Holly Jesus 3000 words and it disaperd

Abc123

I'll not do it again how can that happen

Abc123

I've been typing for 3hrs it's all gone w t f

Tags: