Fabricating a front strut brace??

Started by woodypk, January 30, 2017, 10:06

woodypk

What is everyone's opinions on this?

I'm thinking of having a go at designing and fabricating my own front strut brace. I know there are options available for this kinda stuff but I thought I'd have a go anyway for fun if not any other reason.

I've recently started a new job and now I work nights too, which sometimes turn out to be very work free periods with no one around and so I thought I'd put my time into making stuff that I fancy.

I work in an engineering workshop and I do this sort of thing for a living, so I know my way around an angle grinder and a TIG welder. I also have access to pretty much any tools and materials I could need to complete this project.

Any thoughts on whether this is a good idea or If I should just save up for a genuine part? From what I've read, a front strut brace is a very good, bolt on mod.

Either way, I may try it. If it's no good, it's not cost me anything, I can scrap it and I always have fun making new stuff, especially the designing and creation phase - probably why I got into engineering!

Tom.
Black W reg standard - Gone
Sable 06 Reg turbo - staying forever

If I were to add up how much I'd spent on my car, I still wouldn't be able to afford a new Vauxhall Corsa - And I know which one I'd rather have...

lamcote

I'd say, go for it, and let us know what difference it makes when you fit it.
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

Topdownman

Sounds like a good idea to me.

There are a few different ways these are made, kinked so you can keep your frunk lid, straight across for maximum rigidity or bolt on to the top mounts (not sure what particular reason for that).

I have a DD racing kinked one which I reckon is just a copy of an ultra racing one. I could feel a benefit from it personally.

The only pitfall could be making it too heavy?

You may be able to sell the odd one if they are any good!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

JoeCool

Ultimately, it's a pretty simple device! Make 2 plates, Weld a suitably stout bar between them. The engineering comes in with the balance of weight and strength.

I've never been a fan of the designs with pivots either end of the brace, I can see why they're done that way on front engined cars (access) but it seems to compromise the core rigidity massively to me, since the idea is to transfer torsional loads across the top of the 2 strut towers.

I say go for it. Nice project, good way to save a bit of cash.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

Carolyn

I've been contemplating a rear one for the supercharged car as I had to cut the pressed-steel angles from the top cross member in order to fit the custom exhaust.  Looking at the TRDs I have on the other car, they've added box structures to the top of the plates to stiffen them up, the did the same for the front brace.  I'm looking at something similar Perhaps a 1/2" vertical collar on top of the plate.
Worth taking a look at them.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

MR TWO

Quote from: "lamcote"I'd say, go for it, and let us know what difference it makes when you fit it.

Me too!
1MZFE, Emerald ECU, LSD, BC coilovers, custom middle & front under brace, F / R strut brace. Slotted discs & yellow pads, Blue flame exhaust.
Carrera leather seats, Davids bars, Focal subwoofer & voce speakers & bling !
TRD Stage 2 F & R spoilers,  Haltezza bonnet, C1 side vents, JDL rear panel

woodypk

Super. When I get a day of work I'll take some measurements and I'll get one of these knocked up! The TRD one looks relatively simple to make. I might us this as a benchmark/blueprint.
Black W reg standard - Gone
Sable 06 Reg turbo - staying forever

If I were to add up how much I'd spent on my car, I still wouldn't be able to afford a new Vauxhall Corsa - And I know which one I'd rather have...

JoeCool

I'm just looking at that and it's annoying you have to cut the top off the frunk hatch to fit it!!I've just bought a TRD one.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

theredone

Quote from: "JoeCool"I'm just looking at that and it's annoying you have to cut the top off the frunk hatch to fit it!!I've just bought a TRD one.

you don`t have to cut the frunk lid. I just run without it.

shnazzle

Indeed. Easier access to fluids  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

Essex2Visuvesi

I have noe of the frunk plastics.... just a second Radiator for the Charge cooler

Joesson

The braces that I have seen link the two top suspension mounts in a direct/ straight line and then are cut or shaped to avoid the brake fluid container and the frunk lid needs to have the hinge section trimmed.
If the brace section was positioned as far to the rear as possible, offset from the " centre line" this would likely clear both items.
The mounting brackets could be shaped as a gusset to reduce the effective length of the strut.

CrazySX

Good idea.  Maybe an idea to buy one intended for another application  (cheaper than the likes of trd) and modify?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Tags: