My First MR2 - Starting with the Engine....

Started by Namastebuzz, February 5, 2017, 20:14

Namastebuzz

Hello

Well after soaking up as much info about Mk3s as humanly possible over the past few weeks I decided to take the plunge.

Having seen a lot of decent looking, low mileage cars with knackered or smoking engines come up for sale really cheaply I decided that I'd start with an engine, rebuild it, then find a nice example to stick it in.

Lo and behold, up popped just such an engine, locally. About 30 minutes away. Now up here in Aberdeenshire you usually expect to buy things at a distance so this was a real bonus. Simon, the seller, had bought a Facelift car with 89k on the clock with a view to rebuilding the 1zz unit. It drove OK but rattled a bit at high revs. The previous owner didn't appear to have done any oil changes and Simon said it sounded a lot better when he filled it up with some full synthetic. Anyway, he then found a cheap Celica 190 up for grabs so decide to go with the 2zz conversion.

So, after handing over £20, it was all mine.

Next, I found some (lightly) used Toyota 1zz pistons of the new design with the extra oil holes along with a new set of piston rings on Ebay and got them for £32.

So that's the outlay thus far. I'll need an engine stand and a set of gaskets and bolts. What else will I need?

Now I've just moved and rebuilt my log cabin type workshop (18' x 13') but I'm probably have to spend a few weekends wiring it up and finishing off various bits before I can get started on this. So it'll probably be a while before I update anything on here.

Nostromo

Nice project! I'd said the same thing when I'd just moved house and bought my car and kit, i'll leave the car until the house is sorted out! Well, that didn't happen...

Namastebuzz

OK - I've now added a car to the engine.

I was down at my parents' house west of Edinburgh and hadn't been looking for a car but on Gumtree up popped a 2002 with only 52k on the clock and a knackered engine for £500. It had a long MOT and was still running and was in Penicuik - only 20 minutes from the house. It seemed like karma so I popped over for a look.

TBH I felt sorry for the kid selling it. It was his first ever car and I got the impression the previous owner had probably put one over on him. THere were new gaskets evident and new heatshielding on the manifold so it seemed something had been done - but not well. Anyway, it was knocking badly. The previous MOt had had a load of stuff inc the rear brakes and it had then passed with no advisories.

A bit of haggling and we settled on £350 although I could have gone lower if I hadn't felt bad for the guy. I headed back over with my sister the following day to drive it back to my parents house. It was clanking away but seemed to be fine until, once on the Edinburgh bypass - BANG! Followed by huge plumes of smoke. I pulled on to the hard shoulder and although it was still going decided it was time to call the recovery service. THey arrived 20 minutes later and agreed to recover it back to my house for the next day. That worked fine because I could drive home in my own car.

Overall it's in reasonable nick. Not brilliant but OK. Doesn't have leather (which is disappointing) and has two new Kendas on the back but a Bridgestone/SomeOther combo on the front. No dents or rust but a few little blemishes. Hood is totally unmarked.

JUst need to get on with the engine now.

JoeCool

Good plan.

Seats are CHEAP.  I let a pair of pre facelift leather seats in ok condition go for £20 and it's 10 minutes to bolt them in. Or you can put celica ones in.

loving the £52 rebuild!
2ZZ '02 Roadster

Namastebuzz

Yeah I've got a hankering for red leather.

The car has those strange black and reddish two tone seats with bright red door cards so red leather would go in nicely. I've only looked at £200 pairs of seats on Ebay and haven't delved into the world of owners' club deals so it's good to hear that much cheapness is available.

THe other issue is, being up in Aberdeenshire, having a long way to travel and seats aren't that easy to post.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Namastebuzz

Got some red leather seats and doorcards on Ebay for £20.

Only problem is they're in Eastleigh.

I can courier them for £17 per seat though.

Tags: