Warning ⚠️ Light

Started by Brizee67, February 9, 2017, 14:12

Brizee67

So today with snow spitting at me I decided today was the day to change my timing belt tensioner o-ring which Carolyn had kindly sent to me.

It was pretty easy. Unbolt the two nuts...well one nut and one bolt in my case..I didn't undo the nut fully until I'd prised it away to relieve the tension of the spring to avoid injury [emoji6]

Once removed I took the old o-ring off and fitted the new o-ring. I then reset the wratchet and used the clip to hold it in place. I then put a little oil on it and refitted it. I then put the car in 4th gear and rocked the car until I heard it click.

So that was nice and easy. Literally a 15 minute job. Started the car and as I can recall all seemed okay. I then sprayed a load of gunk and brushed it in and hosed it down. I then run the engine to dry it all off.

So my car is now not leaking oil and is starting to look better for a quick degreasing. Happy days [emoji1360]

Unfortunately that's not the happy ending I ended up with....because after a quick test drive around the block, when I pulled up to my drive I noticed an engine management warning light!!

Why is nothing ever straight forward...I've just been quoted £35 just to diagnose the problem...so much for doing the work myself and saving money. That aside I'm worried I've now damaged something (expensive) [emoji24]

Any ideas??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cptspaulding

Buy or borrow an OBD2 reader. They're not expensive.

I bought this one for £14 a couple of months back & does the job fine.

Edit: Check this thread to see if there's anyone local to you with a reader who can & likely will help you out   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Former owner 2003, 2zz conversion.

jvanzyl

I'm in Harpenden / Kings Langley if you want to borrow mine...
It's incredibly likely that in the process of doing the tensioner that you gave one of your O2 sensors a funny look.. that's enough to make them expire.

Brizee67

When you say expire do you mean I've killed it??

Brizee67

One other thing I've just thought of...not sure if this might have any bearing on this but yesterday I mistakenly put the higher performance unleaded instead of the regular unleaded. Could this have upset it??

jvanzyl

LOL - yeah I do mean that the O2 sensor may be fubarred.. but look it could be anything. So best to wait till you plug in an OBD2 reader... new sensors are cheap though if it is that..

Higher performance fuel is GOOD for your car... don't worry about it.

There is one thing you can try and do, reset your ecu by disconnecting the battery for 20 mins.. then start the car and see what happens? It'll most likely start fine and then after a while the engine light will come on again when the O2 sensors readings don't show properly..

Brizee67

Okay, I'll give it a try.

Thanks for your help.

Carolyn

Quote from: "jvanzyl"LOL - yeah I do mean that the O2 sensor may be fubarred.. but look it could be anything. So best to wait till you plug in an OBD2 reader... new sensors are cheap though if it is that..

Higher performance fuel is GOOD for your car... don't worry about it.

There is one thing you can try and do, reset your ecu by disconnecting the battery for 20 mins.. then start the car and see what happens? It'll most likely start fine and then after a while the engine light will come on again when the O2 sensors readings don't show properly..

John is giving good advice.  If it does turn out to be an O2 sensor, spend a bit extra and get a Denso.. cheaper ones have a poor record on here.  Well done on the tensioner.  Stay away from the 'professional' mechanics as much as you can!!  £35 to plug in a reader - Bah Humbug.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Brizee67

Thanks for the advice so far...battery is disconnected as I type. Fingers crossed it's okay but if not it's not the end of the world...it's just a sensor replacement. [emoji846]

Carolyn

Probably!  Get a code reader. Guessing sucks.

Brizee67

I reconnected the battery and started the car...no engine management warning light...so I let it idle for 15 minutes....still no light...I then went for a quick spin...pulled onto the drive and what do you know.......still no light...woohoo!!!

Thanks for all your help I'm confident it's fine again. Do you think maybe my hosing the engine bay got the sensors wet and so the car got it knickers in a twist??

Anyway, it's fixed....thank you. [emoji846]

Carolyn

That had crossed my mind.  Quite possible.

Brizee67

Thanks again for the o-ring Carolyn...I really appreciate it. [emoji16]

Carolyn

You're most welcome.  See you at Ding Day?

Brizee67

Well I might make it to Ding Day...if we're not away on holiday. [emoji846]

Ardent

B67

As JV mentioned you only have to look at an O2 the wrong way and it can go mardy.
Regardless of whatever else you intend to spend on your 2, as the Capt and Carolyn suggested get a code reader. Will pay for itself first time you use it.

And not wishing to rain on your parade, but, the light may (or hopefully not) appear again, as some are based on two trip logic detection
Do not get disheartend. If it does. O2 sensor fails are very common. Yes, you can still drive it, (but dont ignore it altogether) if it's just a wafty sensor.
So get a reader, and know for sure.
As JV I'm an advocate of using the best fuel you can.

JoeCool

Engine bay looks lovely! I wish mine could look half as good as that!!
2ZZ '02 Roadster

Brizee67

Quote from: "JoeCool"Engine bay looks lovely! I wish mine could look half as good as that!!
I just keep chipping away at it Joe...slowly and bit by bit it gets cleaner and cleaner.

I know that the exhaust manifold will do my head in soon...it's rusty...not sure what to do with it...maybe a rust inhibitor and a paint job...if you can paint an exhaust manifold??? Otherwise I dare say when I'm feeling flush I'll probably invest in a new exhaust manifold [emoji51]

jvanzyl

Quote from: "Brizee67"Otherwise I dare say when I'm feeling flush I'll probably invest in a new exhaust manifold

I'm waiting till hamspeed makes his batch... They should hopefully be good!

Brizee67

Quote from: "jvanzyl"
Quote from: "Brizee67"Otherwise I dare say when I'm feeling flush I'll probably invest in a new exhaust manifold

I'm waiting till hamspeed makes his batch... They should hopefully be good!
Tell me more.....

Carolyn

Just checked Toyosport's website.

It would appear they are back in stock.  £164.

paulj

Can recommend getting a reader, I got a plug in dongle and an iPhone app which is great. Ive chased through O2 sensors to MAF and back again, having a reader means you know what you are up against each time and the pending codes tell you what's brewing. I keep the dongle in the car and have stopped/reset on a trip out - its always good to know which code is behind the warning light
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Brizee67

I've taken your advice and this arrived in the post today:

I've plugged it in and because I disconnected the battery the other day the ECU has now cleared itself of any data so my OBD reader has no data to see.

I know this is bordering on sheer lunacy but I'm half looking forward to my EML coming on again just so that I can get the error code to find out exactly what was wrong with it....then again I should be happy that it's all working with no issue...my OBD readers day will come of that I have no doubt.

Ardent

You could disconnect the maf cable and start it, to invoke a code.

So you could test it. Just a thought.

Brizee67

Quote from: "Ardent"You could disconnect the maf cable and start it, to invoke a code.

So you could test it. Just a thought.
Ardent I don't even know what a maf cable is....[emoji38]

Tags: