all electric MR-S conversion

Started by MrT, March 5, 2017, 13:43

MrT

Hello forum members
Just joined up to share and be a part of the MR2 Roadster community. I have a JDM MR-S that I am transplanting an all electric drivetrain and systems into from a Mitsubishi i-MIEV. Will share my progress here and on the diyelectriccar.com forum. I'll post more details as things progress, sorting a workspace out at home as there isn't enough room in my garage for 2 cars worth and a workshop so will be errecting a canvas shed type cover on the driveway to get the project done.

Hope to have some good conversations and share knowledge and experience about these brilliant little cars.

Cheers
Tyler
Cheers
Tyler

RIPieces: Sable \'05 Roadster \'Red\' edition.
Project: MR-S import (JDM) now my toy and mule for:
SC build OR a 2AR-FXE swap (ref: Frankenstein Motorworks) OR Electric conversion
AND rebody with a fibreglass replica of Porsche 550 Spyder.

shnazzle

That's really interesting! Looking forward to this project
...neutiquam erro.

Ardent

Hello and welcome.

Good attention grabbing first post.
Keep us, well, posted.

jvanzyl

Welcome Tyler!
Let me know if that nice rear brace gets on the way of your build!  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Bernie

Welcome along now that's a different take get a Readers Ride going be really great to see how you progress this build
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

MR TWO

Interesting indeed.  I look forward to your updates.
1MZFE, Emerald ECU, LSD, BC coilovers, custom middle & front under brace, F / R strut brace. Slotted discs & yellow pads, Blue flame exhaust.
Carrera leather seats, Davids bars, Focal subwoofer & voce speakers & bling !
TRD Stage 2 F & R spoilers,  Haltezza bonnet, C1 side vents, JDL rear panel

s12vea

Should make some interesting reading welcome
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

Tomo70

Ooh very intresting, welcome along
🚘Just a pass time to break the monotony

MrT

Thank you all. I can't promise to have frequent updates but will keep them coming as I have them.

PS: She will only be an MR2 until the EV conversion is approved by the DVLA then the second phase is to clad her with a Porsche Spyder 550 style body kit. Mine is an MR-S(pyder) after all... But one step at a time.
PPS: I will be adapting a 550 fibreglass kit for the second phase.
Cheers
Tyler

SC build OR a 2AR-FXE swap (ref: Frankenstein Motorworks) OR Electric conversion

MrT

Now have to get some work underway. Designed my temporary workshop extension this afternoon and hope to get it up soon. Then I can roll the old girl out the rain and under cover to expose her tasty bits...   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  Nobody tell the wife!
Cheers
Tyler

jvanzyl

No worries about the frequency  :-) :-) :-)  lots of guys store up a load of work and then dump shed loads of photos....
That's the other thing- YOU MUST HAVE PHOTOS. We need pictures to be entertained.

Quick question on the power train... How many miev's are you going to stick in there? Cos 35KW might not have the blistering performance to go with the looks!

Jims

Interesting idea...look forward to see how you handle it cos in my head I can't make it make sense  s:D :D s:D

Essex2Visuvesi

There's one on youtube

m https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIAV18WOBgs m

> Donor: 2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder (MRS)
> Style: 2 seater mid-engined convertible
> Battery Pack: 72 x 90 Ah Lithium (LiFePO4)
> Nominal Capacity: 230.4 V x 90 Ah = 20736 Wh
> BMS: Blade EV
> Motor: Netgain Warp 9 (series DC)
> Motor Controller: Zilla Z1K
> Transmission: Factory 5 speed
> Fuel gauge: Metric Mind EVision
> Charger: Manzanita Micro PFC-30

Had one of those mad moments and priced it all up and it's gonna cost as much as a high end v6 conversion

MrT

Jvanzyl
Yes, the i-MIEV doesn't flaunt great power but that's to do with Japanese Kei car regs. Mitsubishi actually entered a race car using i-MIEV drive train in the Pike's peak hill climb in the states and the drive train was producing 80kw plus boost setting so is capable of alot more. Usually its the batteries that are the concern but these are good spec also. My only concern is that mine have been sitting for a while and may have lost alot of charge. This is one thing I need to check pretty quickly by reconnecting the major electrics and switching her on, possibly even charging the battery on the work bench. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the welcome and sensible advice folks, I'll always welcome constructive input.

PS: I've considered seeing if Corolla front hubs will fit the MR2 front suspension geometry and sticking a second drive up front for 4wd performance. One of my fantasy garage cars is an electric AMG SLS!
Cheers
Tyler

MrT

Well had a hectic few weeks, but a fortnight ago I started investigating a wet carpet, found mould in the interior and stripped everything except the dashboard out. Couldn't remove the soft top entirely whilst the frame is fitted but since learnt that it must be off the car to do. Well I'm inclined to bin the soft top and chuck the frame but I discovered the cross member is integral so I need to cut the roof frame off... Been deciding whether to remove the lot and fab alternative seatbelt mounts.

Anybody got a lead on a cheap hard top please? Just to get the car water tight again. Even a loan for now?
Thanks

Also, given moisture issues, I'd like to get leather sets and door cards. Anybody got any leads please?
Cheers
Tyler

MrT

Well I got the soft top out after reading that it is one unit and must be removed completely. Well since I'm getting a hard top (soon I hope,car has no roof at all!) I decided I will trim the roof mechanism off and keep the base plates for the seat belt mount points and crossbar as I'm sure it does quite a bit for stiffening the top half of the rear of the chassis.

I'm also planning to fabricate brackets for the roof to mount it semi-permanently since I dont have a soft top anymore. Anybody got advice on how this is done please?
Cheers
Tyler

secla

rogue motorsport sell permanent hardtop fixing plates. have them on my track car think they were around £50

MrT

Hi Secla
Aware of Rogue pars, was going to replicate the idea. But I got a roof with fitting kit for less than expected so happy with that. Be nice to pop it off for a drive over summer if the weather allows.
Cheers
Tyler

StuC

You'll be surprised how good the heaters are and what you can drive through with the top down.  s;-) ;-) s;-)
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Essex2Visuvesi

Just wear a hat.
I find the top of me head gets cold

MrT

Oh, I was nervous of driving all the way to get the hood tomorrow. Don't tempt me StuC! But the car is stripped out so no radio or hands free and a howling exhaust really will wear thin for 3hrs! Looking forward to playing with the car for a bit before I pull her apart for the heart transplant. Equally excited to get her converted and whisp about like a stealth missile!

PS, 75kw seems meek but it means something different in an EV (electric vehicle...). I know from maths and experience. My Golf GTE has 75kw and weights 1650kg without my heft in it and shifts like anything to 40mph, makes 62mph plenty fast enough and would do over 100mph if the limiter allowed (in EV Mode). I expect my MR-S to weigh less than 1200kg when done so 25% less when driven or 30% faster than the golf and no gear change delays. It won't be a Tesla or SLS EV but I can't wait!
Cheers
Tyler

MrT

Night all, long drive in the morning...
Cheers
Tyler

StuC

Happy trails  :-) :-) :-)
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

SDB278

I'm looking forward to this!

MrT

Hi folks
Got my roof, long drive down and back, but worth it. I was smiling once I had it on and wasn't even in the car yet! Really like the looks. Cannot post pics as they are too large and I need to do it from my PC.
Need to chop and trim the convertible mechanism to get seatbelt and cross-brace support back.
Will update as I can.
Cheers
Tyler

Tags: