A strange ABS issue

Started by woodypk, March 23, 2017, 08:35

jonbill

No progress I'm afraid. I'm away this weekend anyway, so will research it next week.

jonbill

New reluctor fitted and I reckon it's fixed. No sign of a problem on a run round the block.

lamcote

Excellent news, thanks for the update, that's a useful thing to know about.

Was it easy to remove the hub?
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

jonbill

Quote from: "lamcote"Excellent news, thanks for the update, that's a useful thing to know about.

yes, pretty straightforward TBH the hardest bit was reassembling the handbrake link - both caliper & Cable aren't in great shape.

JoeCool

Very interesting.

I have occasional problems with this. Much more noticeable on loose surfaces/dirty roads. On track you're kissing the windscreen before the ABS kicks in. I guess I'll have to check these out.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

StuC

Quote from: "jonbill"
Quote from: "lamcote"Excellent news, thanks for the update, that's a useful thing to know about.

yes, pretty straightforward TBH the hardest bit was reassembling the handbrake link - both caliper & Cable aren't in great shape.
How does the ring fit onto the shaft?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "StuC"
Quote from: "jonbill"

How does the ring fit onto the shaft?
Must... not... comment... move away, nothing to see here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

StuC

In this instance it was a genuine question.  [emoji38]
Just a really poor choice of words on my part!

jonbill

Quote from: "StuC"How does the ring fit onto the shaft?
[emoji52] it's a slight interference fit, so gently drifted on with a plastic mallet.

StuC

That's as I thought. So the part is  installed with some inherent tension. I was just wondering why your part had failed, thats all.
Thanks.

jonbill

Quote from: "StuC"That's as I thought. So the part is  installed with some inherent tension. I was just wondering why your part had failed, thats all.
Thanks.
Yes. I think the root cause is a little  corrosion under the ring. Rust increases the tension and it fails.

I spent a few mins rubbing the shaft down before I put the ring over it.

Fnar.

phaeton

I was told that it can also be caused by frost, small amount of damp gets in then freezes & causes expansion, whether that is true or not no idea.

jonbill

That sounds very possible too.

tricky1138

I'm  just adding to this with my similar problems.

I started off with very similar symptoms of the wheels skidding and the ABS kicking in when slowing to almost stop.
I too had put it down to a broken wheel bearing causing the ABS ring to get confused.

I replaced both rear wheel bearings but broke one of the ABS sensors  (or it could have been the problem) all along!

Wheel bearings arrived before sensor so put them in first. Car was great with no rumbling but obviously ABS light was on and disabled. Drove the same roads I usually do and never locked up once in the placed I  previously would.

ABS sensor now replaced  but light still on. Exactly the same as before.

Couple of days later ABS light went off on it's own accord. Now whenever I come to a complete stop the ABS kicks in, brake peddle vibrates and makes that horrible ABS noise, but the car does not skid!

Anyone any ideas what's up now?!   s:( :( s:(
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

jonbill

Well- there's a great bit of software called techstream that Toyota dealers and perhaps some others have. It will show the operator what the wheel sensors are reporting and what the ecu has decided to do with the solenoids.
Such a session helped me diagnose mine [emoji16]

tricky1138

Quote from: "jonbill"Well- there's a great bit of software called techstream that Toyota dealers and perhaps some others have. It will show the operator what the wheel sensors are reporting and what the ecu has decided to do with the solenoids.
Such a session helped me diagnose mine [emoji16]

Cheers. I thought that would be the answer. Getting plugged into Techstream on Ding Day so hopefully get the answer then. Just wondering if anyone else had any thoughts!
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

Tags: