power steering pump failure

Started by spyderman, February 2, 2005, 08:52

spyderman

my friends MRS power steering pump died a week ago, and he went to the Yota dealer in our country.

He was asked for £720 plus VAT.   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  plus labour   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

We searched for a used pump but its a bit impossible to find..  s:? :? s:?  

So im wondering if its possible to fit the Celica steering pump, since here there are a few 2ZZ guys, and they should know.   s:?: :?: s:?:  

Thanks
As you set out for Ithaka
hope your road is a long one,
full of adventure, full of discovery. Cyclops,
angry Poseidon - don\'t be afraid of them.you\'ll never find things like that one on your way
as long as you keep your thoughts raised high

-SOT-

SteveJ

Celica = mechanical engine driven pump

MR2 = Electric pump

spyderman

s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

thanks... that means he is gonna have to put his hand very deep in his pocket..
As you set out for Ithaka
hope your road is a long one,
full of adventure, full of discovery. Cyclops,
angry Poseidon - don\'t be afraid of them.you\'ll never find things like that one on your way
as long as you keep your thoughts raised high

-SOT-

Tem

You/he could ask "Jap GT300" if he happens to have a used one...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Liz

OK, mines gone   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  , went on the way to work, stopped me smoking whilst driving as I would never made it around the roundabouts, it was hard enough anyway just changing gear and steering. My arm muscles will give popeye a run for his money after this is over.

<<Spits feathers out of mouth>>
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

kanujunkie

oh crap, sorry to here that Liz, good luck getting it fixed
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Liz

Thanks Stu  s:) :) s:)  , not impressed I can tell you, just been sodding serviced as well, I have a cunning plan though that involves the AA and their parts and labour warranty  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  Means living with it for two weeks though, can you cause any damage to the car by driving it like it? Or am I likely to do more damage to my arms?

Slacey

It won't damage the car, but will end up leaving you looking like a Russian shotputter!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

SteveJ

Quote from: "Slacey"It won't damage the car

Not so sure about that - the seals in the hydraulic cylinders on the steering rack are going to take a beating as they were designed to have pressure behind them. Having had PAS pumps fail on a couple of cars in the past I can confirm that they leaked like sieves when I eventually had the pumps replaced.

My advice would be drive it as little as possible - there is no point causing more damage if you dont have to.

Jap GT300

I do have another PS pump available if you can't get the problem sorted.

Jap GT300

Quote from: "SteveJ"the seals in the hydraulic cylinders on the steering rack

What are you talking about?

Liz

Just got in from work...what a horrid thing to drive it is without the P/S. Thanks for the pm Adam, I am keeping my fingers crossed you have one.

This may seem a daft question, but there isn't something simple that I should be checking before assuming that the pump has gone is there? A nice cheap fuse for example?

So can I drive it or not, I am all confused now, to be honest I would rather not, the chances of steering accurately out of the way in an emergency are not good  s:? :? s:?

SteveJ

Quote from: "Jap GT300"
Quote from: "SteveJ"the seals in the hydraulic cylinders on the steering rack

What are you talking about?

Do you not know how hydraulic PAS works?

Tem

Quote from: "Liz"This may seem a daft question, but there isn't something simple that I should be checking before assuming that the pump has gone is there? A nice cheap fuse for example?

Yeah, you should check the fuse and/or relay, don't really remember what it had and don't have the BGB here. And that there's fluid in the reservoir.

Liz

Thanks to Adam sourcing a pump at £150, cheap compared to Mr T's price - just a couple of things, does the 04 model pump fit on the 01 model, and what part of it would I need, I have been asked if it is just the pump or the whole unit?

Also on ringing the garage where I want it fitted they have told me that it may be just as easy to disconnect the battery as this may reset it. And in anycase they have no window available for 2 weeks for fitting it.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Obviously I am going to try the battery thing tonight in case in works, keeping fingers crossed.

I hate my car at the moment!  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Liz

Just tried the car to see if some minor miracle had happened whilst its on the drive - alas no!  But this may help with the diagnosis, when the car is first fired up the P/S is there, but it goes off after a couple of seconds and the light stays on on the dash.  Do you think that as it is there in the first instance that it is the pump?  Sorry so many questions, its the first time that the damn thing has had anything wrong with it!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

aaronjb

Interesting.. to me, that would imply that it's being shut down because a control unit is sensing a problem..

You didn't answer Tem really - have you checked to make sure there's fluid there? I'm sure you have, but..  s;) ;) s;)  Maybe there's a fluid level sensor that's stopped working (ergo the control unit thinks the pump is dry and switches it off to prevent it siezing).
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Liz

Sorry, yes the fluid is full, it was only serviced last week, as for the fuse I had a look at the fuse numbers and saw the the P/S fuse is linked to the ABS, so if the fuse had gone then surely the ABS warning light would be on as well?  I have disconnected the battery - didn't need my husband to help as one mechanic said to me  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:   , will of been off for about an hour and half by the time I get home, so we shall see.

aaronjb

Quote from: "Liz"didn't need my husband to help as one mechanic said to me  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

s:roll: :roll: s:roll:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

The little lady can use a spanner then?

*ducks and legs it*

Only joking Liz..

On the fuse issue - good question.. If that fuse is the only one supplying power to the ABS, and the ABS light is only activated by the ABS ECU (i.e. the main ECU doesn't turn it on when it detects a problem with the ABS ECU, if you see what I mean) then it might well not light up if that fuse had gone..

Definitely worth checking anyway - only a 30 second job, and it's always blindingly obvious when a fuse has gone thanks to fuses being seethrough these days (rather than cylinder fuses that you can't see into)  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Liz"Just tried the car to see if some minor miracle had happened whilst its on the drive - alas no!  But this may help with the diagnosis, when the car is first fired up the P/S is there, but it goes off after a couple of seconds and the light stays on on the dash.  Do you think that as it is there in the first instance that it is the pump?  Sorry so many questions, its the first time that the damn thing has had anything wrong with it!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Sounds like your problems is probably on the electrical circuit to the PS pump; faulty relay  s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Tem

There are two fuses and one relay needed for the EHPS.
(actually more, but the others will kill more than just that)

7.5A ECU-IG (left side of instrument panel)
50A EHPS (left side of front compartment)
EHPS RELAY (left side of front compartment)

You probably checked the 100A ALT fuse, which also has ABS behind it?

Then again, if any of those is dead, I don't think it would work at all. But they are worth checking anyway.

Liz

Thanks Tem,

Have checked the one at the left side of the instrument panel and thats ok, getting dark now so will check the others tomorrow, thanks guys! ECU reset didn't help   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  , and yes Aaron the little lady can tighten nuts!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

aaronjb

Quote from: "Liz"and yes Aaron the little lady can tighten nuts!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

*splutter*   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   s;) ;) s;)

Thinking on about it, like Tem says, I think it's more likely you'd get no PAS at all if the fuses were gone, it wouldn't even start up..

So maybe relay - I seem to remember reading about that being a common fault somewhere? Or it could be a sensor, something silly like the fluid level sensor maybe - worth checking continuity on that with a multimeter, assuming it's a simple open/closed switch circuit.

heathstimpson

I agree it won't be one of the main fuses as you wouldn't get the power steering working at all. Could be a faulty sensor as Aaron said. Who is it that has all the data on here with drawings etc  s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Liz

It literally works for seconds after the engine has started them stops, it feels as though it has a build up of pressure and then it tails off. Most weird.

Tags: