power steering pump failure

Started by spyderman, February 2, 2005, 08:52

Tem

Quote from: "heathstimpson"Who is it that has all the data on here with drawings etc  s:?: :?: s:?:

Well, I have the BGB...but IIRC, it pretty much just shows the connections to PS-ECU and doesn't tell what it actually does  s:? :? s:?  Don't have it at work, but I can take a closer look tonight...

Liz, if you start the car, but don't start driving, does it stay on? Or does it die the moment you first steer? I think it did have some pressure sensor(s), which could cause a healthy pump to do just that.
(or maybe the pump is gone, we're only guessing here)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Liz

Tem,

The power steering light stays on when it is started and the P/S is there as soon as you touch the steering wheel, but after about 20 seconds it dies away. When it is driven the light stays on and there is no power.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

kanujunkie

Liz, it could stil be the P/S pump, if the control system is shutting it down because the current loading is becoming too high then it will still appear to run and then stop, so i'm afraid you cant isolate this yet, sorry. What we need is a good set of manuals for these troublesome cars of ours  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Liz

I have booked the car into Mr T tomorrow at 11.00 so they can diagnose what is wrong with it, actually spoke to someone helpful on the service reception, and they are going to look at it whilst I wait. They also piped up that they could order the part for me there and then,I told him to hold his horses on that one!!  Thanks for your help on this as always, will let you know what happens, if I get there in one bit!!

Liz

Got back from a nice journey with the roof down and now have aching arms!!  It was the pump according to the diagnostic thing at Mr T, we went for a little drive in it as well, not sure why, guess they wanted to make sure that I was telling the truth...Have been to Grays and picked up the 2nd hand one a bargain at £150 as opposed to the £757.00 + VAT which Mr T wanted for a new one. Being fitted on the 1st unless I can find someone to do it in the meantime, looks easy enough, 3 bolts and 3 clip in electronic parts, I dare say it needs bleeding through though.

I was talking the mechanic on the test drive and he said that in the past two weeks they have had two in with precat failure and blown engines and they were towing away an SMT which had gone completely up the wall, whenever the owner took their foot off the brake it was shooting off down the road.

so.simple

I guess it is a bit too late to let you know about this one, right?

Carlos

Anonymous

Quote from: "Liz"an SMT which had gone completely up the wall, whenever the owner took their foot off the brake it was shooting off down the road.

Anyone want an SMT for use as a drag racing car?   s:D :D s:D

Liz

Carlos, a little late, but tempted to buy it for a spare to be honest!!

Liz

Woo Hoo!!  All fixed for the princely sum of £200.  A bargain compared to  £930.60 (with discount) from my local dealer!!!

Simon has got it at the moment and I have just spoken to him and he is threatening not to let me have it back  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  .  Thanks for the help on this guys, just looking out of the window waiting for it to arrive home so I can take it out, will try not to steer it like I have been and crash it!

spyderman

Quote from: "Liz"Woo Hoo!!  All fixed for the princely sum of £200.  A bargain compared to  £930.60 (with discount) from my local dealer!!!

only if you saw this....

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 71452&rd=1 m
As you set out for Ithaka
hope your road is a long one,
full of adventure, full of discovery. Cyclops,
angry Poseidon - don\'t be afraid of them.you\'ll never find things like that one on your way
as long as you keep your thoughts raised high

-SOT-

so.simple

Quote from: "spyderman"only if you saw this....
Repost, repost! He did a repost!!!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Carlos

Anonymous

Oi Spyderman NO!
Oi Carlos NO!

Thats my bid and my pump is sounding very sick so I want it. Stop trying to push the price up!

s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

Tem

Paypal me £5 and I won't raise the price  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

Hmmm!

Wonder if it's worth getting for when mine packs up?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

kanujunkie

Quote from: "RaGE"Oi Spyderman NO!
Oi Carlos NO!

Thats my bid and my pump is sounding very sick so I want it. Stop trying to push the price up!

s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Tem and Les you are very bad people   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

s:D :D s:D

roger

RaGe, 10 Minutes to go, and still yours   s:D :D s:D  

Better keep your eye on it for any last minute blaggers   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

so.simple

I changed my mind and am going to bid for it!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  Muhahahahah!

Transforms into a bat and furiously flies away!
Carlos

so.simple

3:30 left...
2:00 left...
1:00 left...
0:30 left...
0:05...

s:D :D s:D  OK... You won! Congratulations on the bargain!   s8) 8) s8)
Carlos

Anonymous

Quote from: "so.simple"3:30 left...
2:00 left...
1:00 left...
0:30 left...
0:05...

s:D :D s:D  OK... You won! Congratulations on the bargain!   s8) 8) s8)

Phew I got it!  Bit of a bargain I reckon.  
Now do i wait for the old one to break or change it now? the old one can be quite noisy. Decisions decisions.

Liz

Well that was a bargain!!!  I feel now that my pump must of been going for a while as the one on now feels so much better than before.

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "Liz"Well that was a bargain!!!  I feel now that my pump must of been going for a while as the one on now feels so much better than before.

Nah, that's the arm muscles you built up when the pump was out.
  s:D :D s:D  

S

Anonymous

Liz

Did you pay 50 quid to get your pump fitted?
At that price it's probably worth paying to get it done rather than trying to do it myself. Has anyone changed there own, are there any write ups?

Rich.

Tem

Hey, where's my £5!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Liz

Quote from: "RaGE"Did you pay 50 quid to get your pump fitted?

Yes indeed I did...nice little garage that my husband goes to, and that included VAT and the new PS fluid...bargain!!

Tags: