My 2000 White MR S - Project colgate

Started by Benjirixon, April 26, 2017, 09:23

Benjirixon

Well as a few of you know last week a bought my 1st mk3 mr2. I've had mk2's in the past and a celica so I'm a bit of a toyota fan to say the least   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Was looking around for a long time for a suitable project I could play about with and do bits to as time and money allowed and maybe a respray in white as my fav colour on these but nothing suitable turned up till I found this. Bought as a project as needed tlc and other things but most of all it was the right colour I wanted so great starting point and in price range. Also love the fact it's in import as the indicators are in the proper place and love the badges over the toyota ones.
It\'s all about the dandism ..........

Benjirixon

OK so when she arrived first port of call was a good wash.... nothing fancy just a good basic wash as she was filthy! Battery was also flat.... so put that on charge and fuel was pretty much empty so put nearly half a tank of fresh fuel in then decided to have a look at what needed to be done...... and so a list was made

In no real order.....

Remove locking wheel nuts as there's no key   s:x :x s:x  
Rear wheel is flat... needs new valve
Sort rough irratic idle out
New plugs
New oil filter
Polish milky headlights
Buy/fit induction kit
Fix exhaust rattle   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  
Fix display on stereo
Good hoover
Mop and polish
Refurb alloy wheels (may change altogether)
Source leather seats
Buy n fit New exhaust system
Buy an fit Bodykit/trim
Buy an fit Lowering springs
Maybe hammerite subframe while it's solid
Get a new roof an maybe hard top
Transfer private plate on it

So plenty to be getting on with really   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:   will be done as time and money allows really.... hoping to have it all sorted in a year but we will see. Overall very happy with her.... will update some more detailed pics soon.

Carolyn

I saw a really nice pair of black leather seats at Rutland MR2 last Saturday.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

The Other Stu

I wouldn't bother with an induction kit. I've tried everything and ultimately the stock airbox design with a Markiii pipe was the best (albeit without the noise, but I have a TTE exhaust for that). I've put a box K&N filter in, which feels slightly better.

I certainly wouldn't bother with the K&N kit one - it feeds its air from within the engine bay so suffers from heat soak. The best design for a modified one is to feed a mushroom filter behind the battery, so that it sucks the air in from the side pod.

How does your rear subframe look? Chances are, it has a nappy on it. You might want to have a look  s;) ;) s;)  it's really common problem right now too.
No Longer Here

Benjirixon

Well been out for a tinker this afternoon..... first thing I noticed was remote central locking wasn't working.... then found out battery is totally dead i mean not even ignition lights..... quite strange considering I charged it fully 3 days ago..   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Was thinking maybe I left an interior light on or the radio or something then. Anyway I started taking the battery off then my neighbour come out and started walking over looking half dead and said "mate haven't slept all night.... someone's bloody alarm was going off all bloody night i dunno who's car it was" ... hmm... then the penny dropped... it was mine   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   I said nothing tho ... as you do   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

So decided 1st job see if I can find main box and adjust the sensitivity. After taking half the dash out and a bit of googling I turns out that the sensors are self adjusting..... righto... so why the hell was it going off   s:?: :?: s:?:  

Quick check under the frunk and I seen the bonnet release sensor seemed ok but that's the only place I'd been different to the last few days so wedged it closed for now and will investigate a bit later. Battery now on charge.... again

Managed to give the maf a good clean tho.. was stinking black all over so blasted it all nice and shine with some carb cleaner and looks as good as new. Also new airfilter turned up which I'm well happy with. A nice ram air foam one so should be quite an ear full   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:   also sorted the cause of the exhaust rattle out.... lose bits of tin all over.... cut offending pieces off should sort it for now till I upgrade at a later date.

Benjirixon

And thanks stu..... yeah gonna have the cone behind the battery.. just waiting on the 70mm silicone pipe to arrive now then I'll butcher the maf housing from the stock box. Like you say no performance but I love the sound they make and it'll be nice while I save for an exhaust   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

Subframe wise it's solid.... bit of surface rust but pics make it look worse than what it is. Want to clean it up soon tho before it does get worse obv.

Benjirixon

Also wheels..........

I like the look of them but don't like the fact they're 17's....... not sure in offset as I can't get the bloody things off yet due to no locking nut key. The gap in the arch is horrible and also raises the car up to much overall....  The lacquer on the chrome ring is buggered but think it's a full strip down and paint. Few kerb marks here and there too. Might just use as it till I can get some rota grids in 16's.... one day hey

Tags: