My sable 2004

Started by mdw, May 10, 2017, 19:35

mdw

Bought 2 weeks ago with 1 years mot.   Already found and fixed the no show cel which was bluetack in the cluster to cover the led cel due to a sensor heater fault.    Next one was a bit of a surprise with a years mot on it, a  great big rust hole in the rear cross member.   New one on order from Toyota so at least it should be good for a few years.  However the rest of it looks in reasonable order  now I have had a chance to crawl all over it.  So a bit of extra spend but for a 13 year old car not a lot more than should be expected I guess.  Lesson learnt for next time.

Sable 53
Spectra Blue 03

shnazzle

Well done on giving it a good once over. Nothing out of the ordinary. The subframes are unfortunately just part of the list of things that need changing on a 13 year old car.
Have a think about treating it with something like dinitrol before fitting it. It'll last another 10 years without that, but with... 15-20  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

Tomo70

Good work, keep it up.
🚘Just a pass time to break the monotony

The Other Stu

Nice work. Hopefully you'll be able to get the bolts out!

The reason these pass the MOT with huge holes in (mine did at least once whilst I've owned it - I've only just changed it) is because the rear nappy is covering it and they're not allowed to remove them.

Speaking to someone who used to be an MOT tester, they explained to me that if they are being overseen by the Ministry, it's mandatory that they put the nappy down as an advisory (and some testers who do everything by the book will anyway). Hence why if you look at my previous MOTs, a couple of them have advisories for the nappies, where other MOTs at the same garage don't!
No Longer Here

mdw

Nice and quick delivery, ordered the crossmember Wednesday, collected today.  Will soak all the nuts and bolts over the weekend and swap it over on Monday.Any hints and tips or is it just large scale meccano?
Sable 53
Spectra Blue 03

The Other Stu

You'll need some heat and probably a breaker bar.
No Longer Here

Essex2Visuvesi

Quote from: "The Other Stu"You'll need some heat and probably a breaker bar.

Being able to swear in more than one language is advantageous

StuC

As an optional extra, someone to cuddle and comfort you, at the end of what will be a long emotional day!  s;-) ;-) s;-)  [emoji38]
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

The Other Stu

it wasn't quite that bad Stu. Getting the manifold off was much more difficult!
No Longer Here

delhusband

Hi mdw. I had to return a "red" edition which also had a big hole in rear subframe. I'd asked the dealer prior to purchase to specifically to check subframe (because of info i'd read on forums here). Dealer duly put it through inspection (first attempt failed on springs). Work on replacing springs was completed, and car was returned to me with fresh 1 year MOT. When i took it to another garage for service/inspection, they found a big hole (picture to follow). I managed to successfully return car, but found it was re-advertised next day (with £500 price hike). I was horrified, I'd had my kid in the car. Glad i wasn't chucking car about too much.
Hate pointy animals

delhusband

Hate pointy animals

mdw

All done inc geo.   The 2 l/h bolts were easy, the 2 right  were a total nightmare.   However heat, plus gas and swearing resolved the situation.   The funny bit in the day was when I went to Maidstone Toyota for a price for  3 manifold  to cat studs and nuts, the 3 cat gaskets and 6 top bumper press clips. £77 FFS.   I burst out laughing and left.  It had 2 coats of hammerite and a can of waxoil sloshed about inside it  and the corners filled so with luck it will outlast my ownership. Also did an oil and filter and checked/topped up all other fluids.
Sable 53
Spectra Blue 03

ferry

Quote from: "mdw"Nice and quick delivery, ordered the crossmember Wednesday, collected today.  Will soak all the nuts and bolts over the weekend and swap it over on Monday.Any hints and tips or is it just large scale meccano?

Hi, where did you get your crossmember from please?

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "ferry"
Quote from: "mdw"Nice and quick delivery, ordered the crossmember Wednesday, collected today.  Will soak all the nuts and bolts over the weekend and swap it over on Monday.Any hints and tips or is it just large scale meccano?

Hi, where did you get your crossmember from please?
Somewhere further up I'm sure he got it from MrT (Toyota) so I'm assuming a main dealer part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

mdw

Oooops didnt reply, yes was  from Toyota.
However reason for posting is we like the  fl mr2 so much we bought a 2nd one. Pretty much identical but blue.  Different set of issues but nothing too bad.   Original idea was to put a 2zz in it but after resealing the chain cover and putting a few miles on it its not too bad.   

Sable 53
Spectra Blue 03

StuC

2 2's it's the future! :)
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Ardent

Well played.
My 2 favourite colours

Tags: