Clutch woes

Started by wallzaveerz, May 27, 2017, 16:39

wallzaveerz

Afternoon all, had a throughly rotten day!  Lovely morning so I dug the MR2 out and decided to pay my mate a visit.  It's a nice drive on country roads so had a trundle over.  Car drove a treat, no issues.  Spent an hour at my mates, Sat chatting for maybe another ten minutes with the engine idling rather than leaving immediately.   Went to put the car in gear, BANG, car jumps forward and stalls.  Tries a second time, would have been the same end result if I had persisted.  Tried to start it in gear, its like the clutch isn't even pressed.  Pulled the froot plastics out and the clutch fluid level is JUST below the bottom mark and really grubby.  Thinking we had found the problem we bled the system through with new fluid,  tried it again, exactly the same!  There is an inch of travel on the slave cylinder when you press the clutch, which to me is fine.  It had a fresh gearbox and clutch about two years ago bit is only a toy so has only done three thousand miles or so since,  always had a bit of a rattle on the clutch bearing ticking over with no weight on the pedal.  I have no idea if a new one was fitted when the box was swapped.  I'm going for the clutch release bearing has thrown it's hand in.  Have any of you guys got any other suggestions before I reluctantly dig my credit card out?

Carolyn

Sounds as though you're correct.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Tags: