Unichip

Started by Anonymous, February 6, 2005, 21:01

Anonymous

Well having installed the mapped chip i have to say i am impressed.

The difference wasn't as noticable to start with as i first though but this might have been because i was using "map A" and according to the manual i was sent "map B" is the one to use.

Anyway it seems like a different car, much more urgency and no flat spots.

More of an update when i have driven her more!

Jap GT300

So is map A purely a bypass to the stock ECU?  Also do you find it still works with the unichip power button turned off?

Anonymous

My understanding of it has changed a little as i have read more and been advised more.

It seems BOTH MapA AND MapB are optimised but MapB has more aggresive ignition timing so greater gains but on 30% of cars MapB causes the CEL to come on (according to the instructions).

I've not tried driving with it turned off yet mate but will do tonight nad will report back.

Does anybody else have any questions?

GSB

On the premapped chips map a is a slightly less agressive tune, map b more so, Some owners may find map b to much (CEL's etc.) so map a would be thone to run on. You can of course have them any way you want on your own chip once you have it tuned..

The car wont run at all with the power switched off, as it turns off the power to you main ecu not the unichip.. (its for resetting CEL's when tuning)
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

LeeUK

Glad you like it James!

Presumably map A is for economy and B is for the grins   s:D :D s:D  

Try map A next time you do the long trip Home/Uni and see how your full consumption goes.  Hopefully it'll save me a few squids in petrol when I get mine!
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

heathstimpson

Where have you routed the switches to   s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Jap GT300

Quote from: "GSB"The car wont run at all with the power switched off, as it turns off the power to you main ecu not the unichip.. (its for resetting CEL's when tuning)

Mine still runs!  It can't just be a 2ZZ thing.

Anonymous

Wooaaaaaaaaahhh

Just a quick update - last night the second tank op "Esso Supreme" went in and it seems a different car, the twisty drive home FLEW by...i mean i felt a BIG difference and this was back on MapA.

I'll get both map's dyno'd on friday and let you know!

heathstimpson

Quote from: "bigun007"Wooaaaaaaaaahhh

Just a quick update - last night the second tank op "Esso Supreme" went in and it seems a different car, the twisty drive home FLEW by...i mean i felt a BIG difference and this was back on MapA.

I'll get both map's dyno'd on friday and let you know!
Look forward to getting mine in when I get to bypass the security plate and empty the tank to fill up with some higher octane fuel  s8) 8) s8)
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Quote from: "heathstimpson"Where have you routed the switches to   s:?: :?: s:?:

I haven't YET, this is because my locker floor has some holes in it already for my amp wires to run through so i just have them through those and sat on the locker floor.

I am intending to mount them where that flat surface is just behind your left elbow. No spliceing of wires needed (hopefully) other wise i think i'll use the window isolation switch!

Anonymous

Sorry to be stupid but I'm somewhat confused.  The thread suggest that Unichip comes with 2 maps, I'm having mine done  at the end of the month and it is being mapped to my car on a rolling road.  Is it the same thing?  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Slacey

If you bought an unmapped chip, then no, it won't come with any maps - but it will have the facility to hold two that your tuner produces.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

spit

This is exciting stuff guys. Can't wait to hear some more feedback on the chip. Please keep us "late adopters" posted on progress, and for those being mapped, maybe drop a few hints where the good (& - hopefully not - bad) tuning companies are around the country.

BTW - anyone know of Unichip compatability issues with the MR-S? I've heard that the ECUs are different to euro-spec MR2s, (CEL code reading and all that) but I'm ignorant of the full facts. Any guidance much appreciated.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Rolling road at 10AM on friday - i'll scan and post the Dyno's!

I am going to do 3 runs.

1st run with MapB
2nd run with MapA

And then looking at the results i'll do another MapB or one with the original ECU only just to see what she was developing exactly before the chip.

Anonymous

Looking forward to the results on this one!!!!

Darth Paul

Quote from: "bigun007"Rolling road at 10AM on friday - i'll scan and post the Dyno's!

I am going to do 3 runs.

1st run with MapB
2nd run with MapA

And then looking at the results i'll do another MapB or one with the original ECU only just to see what she was developing exactly before the chip.

Where you going to get it done?

Anonymous

Its a place down south - called Gerard Dale Motorsport - in my local village and they are the only RR in Sussex apparently.

I read several good reviews from Caterham owners and decided to go for it!

Darth Paul

Quote from: "bigun007"Its a place down south - called Gerard Dale Motorsport - in my local village and they are the only RR in Sussex apparently.

Ahhh, so you're not getting it done Hull end.

Anonymous

Hi
Quote from: "Darth Paul"
Quote from: "bigun007"Its a place down south - called Gerard Dale Motorsport - in my local village and they are the only RR in Sussex apparently.

I might be getting mine done Hull way as i am from York! Is there a dealer up around this area?

Dom

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dominic_Gregory"
Quote from: "Darth Paul"

I might be getting mine done Hull way as i am from York! Is there a dealer up around this area?

Dom

No - i was going to but i have "reading week" this week so thought i'd get the dyno done down here but depending on the results i might get it tuned up there - when were you thinking of getting it done as if they are doing 3 they might offer discount?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dominic_Gregory"I might be getting mine done Hull way as i am from York! Is there a dealer up around this area?

Dom

I've fired an e-mail off, will let you know when i get a reply!

Darth Paul

There are two places in the locale:

Dennis Vessey Vehicle Repairs @ Barnetby Wold (Nr Brigg)
01652 688904

And

John Noble Motorsport @ Chesterfield
01246 272749

I went to Dennis Vessey. They were generally very good and knowledgeable. They do alot of sports/rallying work and last week had a Hayabusa-powered Westfield on the rolling road!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

However, they mapped the chip and I got some surprising results. I have the A'Pexi CAI and TTE Twin (and had a tank of half Ron 95 and half Ron 97 at the time). Also their calibration equipment is 10% out – you need to add 10% to the final figure.  s:? :? s:?  

The dyno shows 127bhp @ 6000rpm. Add 10% and you get 140bhp.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:? :? s:?   That's with the Unichip.

So I'd be very interested to see other people's results. What happed to the 138bhp stock? Does the A'Pexi CAI and TTE Twin actually make the vehicle lose power?

Still, the in-gear pick up is a lot better – there is more 'go'. Still...  s:? :? s:?

Liz

Interesting stuff Paul, how did you feel on that result?  s:? :? s:?   I think it has been discussed before about various intakes losing the vehicle power, not so sure I am looking forward to getting mine now...

On base dyno, didn't Coleys do 116bhp at JAE?  Mind you it was a warm day.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

MRMike

Though i've never rated the Apexi from a performance point of view, any results you get with it on the dyno are going to be worse than any results you could get on the road with the Apexi. Mainly because of heat soak, I presume they used fans but still your going to lose some cold air flow compared to on the road.

How can there Dyno be out by 10% out? Why haven't they corrected it if they know it's out? I'd be wary of how accurate that dyno is..  s:? :? s:?
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

Unless the wheels were slipping on the rollers, which is doubtful for a low powered car like ours (relatively speaking of course), i can't see how it'd be out by much at all.  I guess the ram air effect is going to be completely nulled on a dyno, unless they forced air into the engine bay with a fan,

What you need is some sort of real world measuring device that will allow you to test out on the open road.  See if it matches.

Tags: