Unichip

Started by Anonymous, February 6, 2005, 21:01

GSB

Quote from: "roger"
Quote from: "GSB"Once sorted I'll go back and get the tuned map and zero map that I wanted.

Grant - sorry to be a pain,

Can I ask, have you got the tuned map already on the chip, just can't switch between that and zero? Presumably you are not going for another dyno session?

Just need to check whether to ask about my 24th appointment.

My car was tuned on Monday, but at the moment I dont have the facility to switch between the tuned map, and Toyotas stock map. Thats the bit I want to get sorted.

If you're concened , then by all means give hedley a call and talk to him about it. Tell him I've been in touch with Jack at Unichip USA, and he recomended that Hedley get in touch with Gerry at Dastek UK for a run down of how to set the 2 maps up.  Hopefully, by the time you get there, it should be sorted out.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "GSB"So far only one of the premapped chips has been dynoed, and then there was no comparitive run made agianst stock settings, So the plots gained have no reference point. It could be that on the dyno, on the day, the stock settings could have pumped out an indicated 150bhp on Biguns car, so the Unichip may have gained him just 10bhp

Not true - it made 139 IIRC but had no printout, details are in one of my posts

crankshaft

Mine was unmapped and supplied tuned by Hedley.

I actually am still sceptical as to whether the UNICHIP module is actually switched on and working !

The gains I am seeing in terms of midrange flatspots could also be the placibo/ psycological effect, I really was expecting much much more.

I now wish I had bought the pre-mapped unichip with the plugin harness and saved myself a couple of hundred quid on installation charges and if your reports are accurate, I would have some worthwhile "kick up the a$$" performance gaisn which quite honestly I have not seen.

I have nothing against Hedley, he did a very professional job of the installation and genuinely seemed as surprised as me to see that the bhp gains were negligable.

But the threads here seem to show that the pre-maps are far more more value for money than the individually mapped setup, and that is something I really cannot understand !

I spent over 500 quid for the unichip & mapping and for a 1bhp gain, it's really tough to swallow.

Crankshaft
2001 SMT - Pete

roger

Grant

Thanks for info, I'll call early next week to speak to him to ensure he has the fix, or if not I will point him in the right direction.

Quote from: "crankshaft"I actually am still sceptical as to whether the UNICHIP module is actually switched on and working !

Maybe you are right, perhaps you have the same problem that because it is not switchable between the two maps you have it on the stock setting. Though if you say Hedley was surprised, I am sure he left it on the  right one. Maybe as Grant was saying the conditions were just right to give stock a good showing.

When you are back home you will have to give her a run against somebody else, so you have at least something to compare with - there will be enough of us around the country to meet with you at some time or another.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

GSB

Quote from: "roger"Maybe as Grant was saying the conditions were just right to give stock a good showing.

It wont be that, you'd still have seen an improvement. In your case I dont think that the premapped chip is goint to make any difference, it would appear that you have an engine that is not that responsive to tuning.

If you want to test it out though, next time you meet anyone with a premapped chip, just unplug the chip from its harness, and plug it into your car. Its only one plug and you'll soon see if it makes any difference...
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Had Millway supply and fit Unichip at the end of Feb.  According to the dyno chart I have gained about 10bhp.  I am now getting 157 @ 6300rpm, the real difference is in the feel of the car.  Now feel confident to overtake and you can feel the power.  Don't have to floor the accelerator any longer.  All of this was with plain old supermarket fuel, have now started to use Optimax and will see if there is any difference

Anonymous

I would expect you to get a bit more with higher grade fuel as this makes quite a difference with the higher inginition advance the engine will now be using.

Liz

To echo a few thoughts on this, I am really not sure what I was expecting, I thought that maybe the car would feel totally different which it doesn't, but that is good, bear with me here!

After driving it for a few days I really really like the changes, it is subtle.  So nice knowing that the welly is there for overtakes and pulling out, it just feels smoother, more responsive and a real pleasure to drive.

As I have mentioned before have you had a go in the car as a passenger?  When you drive it all the time you get so used to it.  When Simon drove mine the other night and I was passenger the difference was absolutely amazing.  You could really really feel the torque improvements, it shoved me back in my seat, try it please with someone you trust who isn't afraid to put foot down (within legal limits of course), you may be well surprised about how different it really is.  s:) :) s:)
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Chris

I had my first long run in mine today after fitting my premapped chip last night.  I didn't get it dynoed before hand and i'm not sure if I'll bother now afterwards as there certainly feels to be a difference.  Much like Heath, I may get it done later when/if i change the filter as i've already got the remus exhaust on for the sound..

Getting back to the experiance, then i think it does feel smoother and more responsive - certainly any extra torque seems to have helped the smt smooth/quicken the shifts a little.  I also noticed a kinda spinning/spooling up noise today that i've never heard before, which sounded kinda cool.

It's all very subjective and could be exagerated by my prolonged absence from driving (both last year and last week's holiday), but I think it feels faster, and I guess that's the main point!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   It's all new to me, as i have never done anything like this before, so probably wouldn't know what an extra 10-15bhp/ft-lbs feels like anyway   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

kanujunkie

sorry to resurrect an old one but i'm just about to wire in the A/B map switch to the holes next to the steering wheel but do i need to move the on/off switch as well, does it even do anything apart from the resetting of the CEL light? i don't have a manual as i bought the unichip second hand
in fact should that be on or off in normal unichip on operation?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

GSB

Leave it switched on, and then tuck it away out of sight.

All it does is remove the secondary supply from the ECU, which, with the ignition off, will reset the ECU.

kanujunkie

cool, cheers Grant, thought this was the case but nice to have it confirmed  s:D :D s:D
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Kool PT

anyone able to have a rough guess at what kind of gain I would see on a US a/b mapped chip with H&S dual exhaust, gutted manifold and PPE CAI?
PT\'s Cruiser: Black 2000 MR2 Roadster V6

3.0L 1MZ-FE V6, Ferrari 355 exhaust, Cusco FSTB, Tein S.Tech springs.

dubs

Quote from: "Kool PT"anyone able to have a rough guess at what kind of gain I would see on a US a/b mapped chip with H&S dual exhaust, gutted manifold and PPE CAI?

I would have a guess at about 10-15 bhp.
MR2 ROADSTER - RED - HARDTOP - BLACK LEATHER - TTE TURBO - TTE SPRINGS - TTE EXHAUST - MARKiii PIPE - TOYOTA GB BODYKIT - TOYOTA GB LIP SPOILER- DEV\'S KEYHOLES - KENWOOD DDX 6029 - IN PHASE COMPONENTS - KENWOOD BLUETOOTH - KENWOOD iPOD INTERFACE - ALPINE SWD 1600 ACTIVE SUB - 17" SP12 ALLOYS

GSB

Quote from: "Kool PT"anyone able to have a rough guess at what kind of gain I would see on a US a/b mapped chip with H&S dual exhaust, gutted manifold and PPE CAI?

It varies from car to car... Have a read of the rest of this thread to see typical gains.

Kool PT

Quote from: "GSB"

It varies from car to car... Have a read of the rest of this thread to see typical gains.

I have but most of the members no longer post and it's not always easy to see what they were running when they posted their figures.

simon_c now has a turboed car with close to 300bhp...no idea what he was running when he got 163bhp from the unichip though!

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "Kool PT"
Quote from: "GSB"

I have but most of the members no longer post and it's not always easy to see what they were running when they posted their figures.

simon_c now has a turboed car with close to 300bhp...no idea what he was running when he got 163bhp from the unichip though!

300bhp   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   s:D :D s:D
Not quite. it's currently running at 225bhp ish and is more than a handful in this weather.
163 was from TTE exhaust. standard manifold without precats, Trd pannel filer and MarkIII pipe. And a slight spike in the trace!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Simon

Kool PT

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"
Quote from: "Kool PT"
Quote from: "GSB"It varies from car to car... Have a read of the rest of this thread to see typical gains.

300bhp   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   s:D :D s:D
Not quite. it's currently running at 225bhp ish and is more than a handful in this weather.
163 was from TTE exhaust. standard manifold without precats, Trd pannel filer and MarkIII pipe. And a slight spike in the trace!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Simon

thought you were ironing out the last of your problems with the 320bhp tune?

jeez...'only' 225bhp? pathetic!

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

roger

Quote from: "Kool PT"jeez...'only' 225bhp? pathetic!

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

You are thinking of Jason's green 'un I suggest.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Kool PT

oh yeah...i get both and muffdan's mixed up.

damn green

Tags: